The Student Room Group

Writing a coming out letter ??

Is it a good idea ? Has anyone else wrote one ?
Dear Dad,

I regret to inform you that....
Troll? I think you should talk face to face. Not vis letter.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.
Personally I did it face to face, but some find that it helps because it allows them time to collect and organize their thoughts and put them down in a way you feel comfortable with. It gives you time to figure out how you want to phrase things and say as much or as little as you feel you need to in your own time. Comming out is a really personal and unique experience for everyone so do it how you feel comfortable doing it :smile:

Good luck!!
OP should do it face to face as sooner or later you would have to face those people your writing the letter too. Plus you should be proud of what you are not ashamed to write it in a letter !
Reply 5
You can't do something as emotionally charged as coming out in a letter!

It's downright insulting and cowardly. If you're proud of who you are, then come out of the closet and do it with flair. You sound like you need some more courage.
Go on YouTube and search 'Coming Out Stories' and see if you can draw some inspiration.

I hope you find happiness and I hope your family takes it well!
(edited 11 years ago)
Write the letter and if you feel brave enough use it as a script or something, that way you shouldn't leave any of your feelings out and you are dealing with it head on. All LGBT choose how they come out. You just need to think of the way that's best for you. My advice? It would help if you had either an LGBT close friend OR someone who is straight but proLGBT for a friend. You can ask them for advice.
Just get straight to the point and say it to whoever it is your coming out to.

E.g 'dad I'm gay'

Quick and easy :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending