The Student Room Group

getting a place thru clearance/changing courses.. HELP

I posted a thread here a few months back when it was uni choosing time asking for advice. Long story short, i ended up with an offer for English and Japanese from Leeds uni (BBB) and one for English at Newcastle (ABB)
But, I've now decided that I want to stay here in Liverpool for uni. (I live on wirral over the water from Liverpool, but come from a liverpool background) basically it came down to, I've got a pretty good life goin on round here and cant really be arsed ****ing off elsewhere just to spent pyay time and effort trying to recreate the life I already have so good here.

But, I got rejected from Liverpool uni for English. Now In all honesty I don't have a clue how "clearance" works but have been told that it'll be quite easy to get a place at Liverpool uni on some course there.. but I don't want to end up on something really random and oblique like, i dunno, egyptology or cat studies or whatever. But ive also been told that, once you have a place at a uni, you can then change courses fairly easily. Basically my exam results are looking like they're going to be a lot better than I was predicted (i was predicted BBB but im currently on course for 2 As and maybe even 3 if i knuckle down and stop ****ing round)

so, my question is, what do those with informed opinions believe is the odds of me being able to get a place at liverpool university through clearance, and then changing that course to an English based course? Is this a feasible idea or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

many thanks xoxo
Reply 1
It sounds like a decent idea looking at your grades, but how confident are you that Liverpool's english degree will enter UCAS Clearing? Perhaps you could speak to the admissions tutor directly to arrange for an internal transfer without having to go through UCAS?
Reply 2
Are you sure your life will be so good? Surely most of your friends will be off to uni too, and you may find that parents, living off campus etc cramps your style.

And if you were rejected once, it's unlikely you'll get in. You'd need to find out why they rejected you, and work hard to improve it. And if it's a competitive course it probably won't be in Clearing. If the course is full, you won't be able to transfer even if you do get into the uni for some other course.
Reply 3
: Clearing usually only offers places on courses that are not already full. Obviously this means that is much more likely for the obscure, less popular courses to be available rather than the traditionally competitive courses.

I would think it would be really unlikely that Liverpool's English course will be an option if you apply through clearing. In terms of transferring courses, English is a really popular subject for most unis hence they will have full classes. This doesn't mean it's impossible but just that you will have to be studying a related course and fulfil quite strict criteria to be given the opportunity to move and even then nothing is guaranteed. Are you really prepared to risk it :confused:

My advice depends largely on how much you want to study English at Liverpool. If in your heart of hearts you think that you would regret not applying there again, then I think you should reapply next year with your (hopefully :smile: ) improved grades. Uni's tend to favour students with their grades already secured as it removes the element of risk.

Alternatively, if the prospect of a gap year seems awful then you could always go to one of the unis that have offered you a place. Afterall they are both good unis and you may find that although staying close to home seems safe and fun now, people do move on and you cannot bank on your life staying the same even if you stay in Liverpool. Other people will be getting jobs/ moving to uni and from what other friends have told me, staying at home in your local area can sometimes be pretty lonely and they do often feel that they have "missed out"

Finally the last option would be to apply to Liverpool through clearing. I really do think this could be the worse solution if your course isn't offered. There is no point rushing to start uni this year if you end up taking the wrong course and dropping out anyway :rolleyes: Think hard and carefully before applying through clearing, don't make a mistake you'll live to regret.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :tsr2:

Latest

Trending

Trending