The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azns
Hahah thanks. In your interview were you expected to have knowledge about current affairs, or were you only asked questions that indicated your thought processes? I'm not sure whether to focus on analysing the books I've read, keeping up with current affairs, going over classroom economics, or doing maths questions! (In preparation for the possible interview)

This can (and does) vary by the interviewer, and even possibly what you have put on your PS. Due to the optional modules in 2nd and 3rd year, the Economics Tripos can be very mathematical or very discursive, so this is to some extent reflected by the range of possible interview questions.
Reply 1981
Original post by alex_hk90
This can (and does) vary by the interviewer, and even possibly what you have put on your PS. Due to the optional modules in 2nd and 3rd year, the Economics Tripos can be very mathematical or very discursive, so this is to some extent reflected by the range of possible interview questions.

I see. One last question - do you think it would put me at a disadvantage that in one of my economics modules I only scored 85/100? In the other I scored 100/100 so it averages to 92.5, and my top 3 subjects average at 95.6 (counting Maths and FM as one).
I honestly think I had a bad day, but considering I am applying for economics, I'm worried scoring so low in that module will look really poor...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
I see. One last question - do you think it would put me at a disadvantage that in one of my economics modules I only scored 85/100? In the other I scored 100/100 so it averages to 92.5, and my top 3 subjects average at 95.6 (counting Maths and FM as one).
I honestly think I had a bad day, but considering I am applying for economics, I'm worried scoring so low in that module will look really poor...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had 82 & 91 in Economics so it must be possible. (Admittedly I had 100% in Physics & Maths!).
Reply 1983
Original post by Colmans
I had 82 & 91 in Economics so it must be possible. (Admittedly I had 100% in Physics & Maths!).

Hey well done! Which college did you go for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
Hey well done! Which college did you go for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have finished, from Caius.
Reply 1985
Original post by Colmans
I have finished, from Caius.

Oh right, what are your plans for the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
Oh right, what are your plans for the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rather predictably, started work as an analyst.
Original post by azns

Anything below 100% in all modules will "put you at a disadvantage" against someone who got that, I don't really see why you're obsessing over it - apply, get to interview and impress them there, that's all you need to be doing. :yep:
Reply 1988
Original post by Colmans

Is this what most graduates go into? I'd heard the stereotype but I thought it had been exaggerated...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
Is this what most graduates go into? I'd heard the stereotype but I thought it had been exaggerated...

I wouldn't say 'most' (as in over 50%), but it would probably be the largest group (think political majority as opposed to absolute majority). For example, after graduating I went on a gap year and I'm now working in Technology Consulting as opposed to the financial sector. :h:
Reply 1990
Anything below 100% in all modules will "put you at a disadvantage" against someone who got that, I don't really see why you're obsessing over it - apply, get to interview and impress them there, that's all you need to be doing. :yep:

As if you weren't this worried however many years ago! Okay roger that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
As if you weren't this worried however many years ago! Okay roger that

I'm pretty sure I wasn't - in fact you might be able to check because I was actually a (relatively new then! :eek:) member on TSR even back then. :redface: :tongue:
Reply 1992
I'm pretty sure I wasn't - in fact you might be able to check because I was actually a (relatively new then! :eek:) member on TSR even back then. :redface: :tongue:

Nobody got time for that but okay I believe you, I'll just put it down to the fact that it was easier back then... :smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azns
Nobody got time for that but okay I believe you, I'll just put it down to the fact that it was easier back then... :smile::smile::smile:

Haha OK. :smile: But part of the real reason was that my number 1 choice was LSE at the time. It wasn't until I actually went to the Cambridge interview that I changed my mind. :smile:
Reply 1994
Haha OK. :smile: But part of the real reason was that my number 1 choice was LSE at the time. It wasn't until I actually went to the Cambridge interview that I changed my mind. :smile:

Quite a few of my Asian pals have LSE down as their first choice.
Out of the London universities, UCL appeals to me more - they have econ with a year at an American uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1995

Out of interest what made you change your mind? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1996
I wouldn't say 'most' (as in over 50%), but it would probably be the largest group (think political majority as opposed to absolute majority). For example, after graduating I went on a gap year and I'm now working in Technology Consulting as opposed to the financial sector. :h:

Original post by azns

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd agree - it seems to be the thing that most people want to go into, but for various reasons (the hours, insufficient preparation, not being able to get a spot, finding something they prefer, etc.) a lot of people end up doing other things. Of the eight economists in my college, two are going into banking, two into academia, one into an MPhil then probably the Bank of England, one to the Civil Service, one into accountancy, and I'm not sure about number eight but I've just seen pictures of her doing an internship at PWC, so probably accountancy/consulting.

The two going into academia and the accountant all held IB offers but decided not to take them. I suspect if academia was suddenly no longer possible it would probably be an absolute majority, but that's what a lot of the best candidates go off to do.
Original post by amg_22
Out of interest what made you change your mind? :smile:

I stayed a night before the interview so had a chance to get a feel for the college, but mainly it was the environment of the interview itself - two of my supervisors were giving the interview so it very much reflected what the teaching would be like, and it was surprisingly enjoyable. :smile:
Original post by Colmans

Nice one..good luck :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by azns

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dayumm girl you got some attittudee :tongue:. Just kidding, it is natural to worry about the process but believe me it is a lot less scary than you'd think once you go through it.

(Just to clarify Alex graduated in 2011, i.e 2 years ago, not that long ago at all and in fact when he applied (2008) the application stats seem to suggest it was harder to get in)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending