The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
for all those who got an interview call from cambridge, you must've been given a piece of paper to write about 3 topics which might be discussed in the interview.
I'm really confused about which topics to pick, if i pick something "not-so-stimulating" or happening in the economy, will it give a bad impression?
for ex- if i pick elasiticies of demand and supply as one of the topics, instead of say, recession which is very hot on the news, will that affect anything at all?
Reply 581
i havent got a call yet, but cambridge interviews everyone right?!
Ive applied to St johns, they send an article a few weeks prior to hte interview. GAAAH frustrating////
Reply 582
I've received an interview at Robinson for Economics and in the letter it says that I have to do a written test; does anyone know what this written test is about?
Is this differnt from the thinking skills assessment (TSA) ?
Reply 584
Economist1234

Yep
Reply 585
Economist1234

Which college are you applying to?
J1B0
Which college are you applying to?

Peterhouse, we had a written assignment which was sent in prior to interviews.
Reply 587
Got an interview for Sindney Sussex on the 4th Dec. Does anyone have any idea what the 'test at interview' would be like? It's one hour long and apparently an essay? Thanks
If I take Maths, Further Maths, Chemi and Physics, do I effectively shut down the opportunity to study Econ at Cambridge? :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
No
No. One of my friend's has an interview for economics at Caius and he is taking Maths, FM, Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 591
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to economics at cambridge next year and will be on a gap year. I want to know if I'll get on interview because I know cambridge want 90%+ ums scores and I have done maths a-level already and got 559/600 but with a 85 in C4 and 89 in M1 and these are below 90%.

I also do further maths and economics as my a-levels and I know that I need another a-level to stand a reasonable chance so I'll pick up physics during my gap year to self study. would they look down on this seeing as I didn't pick it the first time?

Would it help my application if I did a STEP paper this year to prove my mathematical ability?
BigRed
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to economics at cambridge next year and will be on a gap year. I want to know if I'll get on interview because I know cambridge want 90%+ ums scores and I have done maths a-level already and got 559/600 but with a 85 in C4 and 89 in M1 and these are below 90%.
I also do further maths and economics as my a-levels and I know that I need another a-level to stand a reasonable chance so I'll pick up physics during my gap year to self study. would they look down on this seeing as I didn't pick it the first time?

Would it help my application if I did a STEP paper this year to prove my mathematical ability?

90% avg in Maths and not individual modules. Saying that if the offer requirement come with A* for maths then you need 90% avg for C3 and C4. Step is not required. If you are doing FM then it is considered good subject but as a fourth A level. So you do need to do another A level - so I suggest doing History or geography instead of Physics. It would round off you application better. Good luck
Reply 593
Further Maths doesn't need to be a fourth A Level - I know plenty of people who got AAA offers that only stipulated Maths and Further Maths. But yes, History would be useful, especially as you have two essay papers (out of five) in your first year.
sammyrj
Further Maths doesn't need to be a fourth A Level - I know plenty of people who got AAA offers that only stipulated Maths and Further Maths. But yes, History would be useful, especially as you have two essay papers (out of five) in your first year.

Little surprised. Do these people took only 3 A levels or their offer was AAA with conditions on Mand FM? I am not questioning you -just clarifying my understanding :smile:
Reply 595
Dumb Economist
Little surprised. Do these people took only 3 A levels or their offer was AAA with conditions on Mand FM? I am not questioning you -just clarifying my understanding :smile:

A few of both. One friend did 4 A-Levels, but got an AAA offer from St. Johns with a requirement of 90% across his A2 modules in Further Maths, whilst another got an offer just doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics.
sammyrj
A few of both. One friend did 4 A-Levels, but got an AAA offer from St. Johns with a requirement of 90% across his A2 modules in Further Maths, whilst another got an offer just doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics.

Very Interesting. That is bit tough ask in my view - as it is not consistent with offers to other applicants. I can understand if it was same for all applicants/ offers. :o: I am curious why would they do that ?
Reply 597
Dumb Economist
90% avg in Maths and not individual modules. Saying that if the offer requirement come with A* for maths then you need 90% avg for C3 and C4. Step is not required. If you are doing FM then it is considered good subject but as a fourth A level. So you do need to do another A level - so I suggest doing History or geography instead of Physics. It would round off you application better. Good luck

Thanks for replying :smile: . I have an average of >90% in C3 and C4. I know STEP isn't required but would doing it help my application in any way providing I get a good score. I was thinking of physics as I could go to evening classes at my local college to do it in one year and it wouldn't be too difficult to do it as I covered some topic areas in maths. Would history be very hard to self study having not done it at GCSE?

sammyrj

Is it ok to do physics instead of history for reasons stated above or will physics not add much to my application? Is it difficult to get an offer with only maths, f.maths and economics?
Reply 598
College Applied To?
Grades/Subjects?
Offer/Pool/Rejection?
Level of Offer?
If pooled, have you heard anything?
Reply 599
At this moment I'm thinking of doing Economics, Mathematics, Geography and Psychology.

Now the problem here is i really like psychology and it is in some way useful for economics but, some seems to say that it's a weak subject and that it will lower my chances of getting in.

So do i really need to do further maths instead of Psychology?
Does doing Psychology instead of further math significantly lower my chances of getting in?

Pls don't tell me to do 5 subjects because i'm aiming for 4 A*.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending