History/Geography
Reply 81
Epitomessence
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Language
History/Geography

I concur with you. But I tend towards History than Geography.
Reply 82
I didn't do F Maths and did fine in my first year. It's helpful but not essential as they basically teach it again once you get here.
Reply 83
Apagg
I didn't do F Maths and did fine in my first year. It's helpful but not essential as they basically teach it again once you get here.

Since you got in - Congratulations. I am sure you had very good qualifications / grades /subjects. Can I be shameful and ask what they were? I am just trying understand, what I need to achieve.
Reply 84
Maths, Biology, History, English Lit., Economics
Reply 85
The West Wing
A level politics is significantly more difficult and challenging than A level history. If the grade boundaries weren't so ****ing low it would be a far more rigorous subject.

I would disagree with this statement (though it is dependent upon the board chosen). All the members of my history set who study politics say history is significantly harder to obtain the highest UMS score in and that it challenges you more mentally. However, that should not diminish the value of politics at A-level overall, but I would suggest that for economics history is a more worthwhile 4th AS choice

I'm applying with Maths, History and Economics, having taken Latin as well at AS. Trinity, Cambridge said that they do not expect candidates to have Further Maths, but are looking for mathematical aptitude. So long as you are able to adapt maths principles to economics (ie differentiating to find MR) then you should be fine
Reply 86
Jds
So long as you are able to adapt maths principles to economics (ie differentiating to find MR) then you should be fine

you'll be doing maths a hell of a lot harder than that in second year!

I'm not arguing that you need FM to be sucessful, but you shouldn't seriously be considering cam for econ if you can't honestly say that you are matematically able and actually enjoy it.
Reply 87
According to the various talks and things i went to the ideal subjects were, in this order:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
History
Geography

Personally I think Geography would be a waste of time so was surprised to see them mentioning it.
Reply 88
EconLou
you'll be doing maths a hell of a lot harder than that in second year!

I'm not arguing that you need FM to be sucessful, but you shouldn't seriously be considering cam for econ if you can't honestly say that you are matematically able and actually enjoy it.

I disagree. I hate maths but enjoy the conclusions and findings of economics. I accept maths as a useful tool, but there ends my relationship with it.

That said, perhaps it will matter more in my second year
Reply 89
i see that many people are encouraging people without further maths not to do economics at cambridge. If the cambridge economics course is so mathematically based then why is there a british economic history module and a politics module in the first year? Surely these cannot be that mathematically based.
Reply 90
maths in economics is stupid anyway, at least what i have seen. it seems to basically go like this:

- assign values to incredibly obscure and unmeasurable values - for example 'chance of employee being randomly fired', 'velocity of money movement', etc.

- form dubiously acceptable equations using said variables

- perform formal mathematical operations on these dubious, flimsy equations, to arrive at further results which the economist views as concrete.

but then, this is just how it seems to a mathmo.
Reply 91
tom666
i see that many people are encouraging people without further maths not to do economics at cambridge. If the cambridge economics course is so mathematically based then why is there a british economic history module and a politics module in the first year? Surely these cannot be that mathematically based.

no they're not but 1) you only do history and politics in your first year. 2) the maths comes more into play in the second year when you have to apply all the first year maths you have done to macro and micro. 3) A compulsory second year course is 'metrics, which separates the men from teh boys! 4) Third year macro and micro is all based on maths.

First year is mainly about getting everyone up to the same level (not everyone has done stats before) and introducing some new maths topics not taught in maths or F maths.
Reply 92
Chewwy
maths in economics is stupid anyway, at least what i have seen. it seems to basically go like this:

- assign values to incredibly obscure and unmeasurable values - for example 'chance of employee being randomly fired', 'velocity of money movement', etc.

- form dubiously acceptable equations using said variables

- perform formal mathematical operations on these dubious, flimsy equations, to arrive at further results which the economist views as concrete.

but then, this is just how it seems to a mathmo.

Ah, you're missing the key - if a variable is hard to measure then assume it's a constant and ignore it.
Reply 93
Cambridge Website clearly says MATHS A level required for the economics course while FM is desirable. If FM requirements was mandatory - they would have said so. So I would not worry if one does not have FM. My intent of this thread was to know 'ideal' subjects for Economics course- thats all.:biggrin:
I couldn't see a thread for Economics in the "Cambridge Colleges and Courses" sub-forum so hopefully a Mod will be kind enough to move this one in there. :wink:

Anyway, I just wondered who else has an offer and will hopefully be studying Economics at Cambridge starting October 2008?
Which college did you apply to and what conditions do you have to achieve?

It's Pembroke, and AAA for me. :biggrin:

Finally, are there any current students on here?
And if so do you have any advice for us?
(apart from working hard to meet our offers of course :p:)
Thanks. :smile:
There seems to be a dearth of economics at Cambridge students on TSR. Perhaps it is testament to their workload :p:
I might join you if I ever get fished
I received an offer for Economics at Peterhouse, though it looks like there aren't any current cambridge economics students on TSR :frown:

Any information about Cambridge, particularly about Economics and Peterhouse is welcome.
Reply 98
yes, i am a current student.

Fire away questions if you so desire. It'll be a break away from the intensive one week of revision i'm going to do so i can atleast break double figures for my mock maths + stats exam when i get back (given to me by someone who doesn't even supervise me for maths!)
EconLou
yes, i am a current student.

Fire away questions if you so desire. It'll be a break away from the intensive one week of revision i'm going to do so i can atleast break double figures for my mock maths + stats exam when i get back (given to me by someone who doesn't even supervise me for maths!)

Hi Lou, it's nice to see that TSR isn't completely free of Cambridge Economists.

The obvious question I've got this stage is how much work do you have to do?
In terms of essays (number and length), sets of maths problems, supervisions, lectures, and outside reading a week.
Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending