The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_hk90
Thanks for the update. :smile: And surely you mean Part I (unless they've renamed it Part IA)? Personally I didn't like either MKR (I actually still have a more or less untouched copy I bought before first year :redface:) or Blanchard (I found it too wordy for my liking IIRC) though I'm glad to hear there's a better textbook for Industrial Revolution (the majority of our reading was from journal articles, Hudson was just an overview).

Original post by n_251
whoops, yes Part I indeed! The Allen book isn't amazing, it's good for aspects of the course but yes, I found this year that journal articles made up nearly all my reading.

Would you recommend any of those books as prior-reading for an interview/to put on your personal statement, or is that a no no? If so, any other books for pre-interview reading
Original post by Extricated
Would you recommend any of those books as prior-reading for an interview/to put on your personal statement, or is that a no no? If so, any other books for pre-interview reading

I wouldn't say that it's a definite no, but those books are textbooks and so not the best material to write about. There isn't much point in pre-interview reading unless it's related to topics you've mentioned in your PS.
(edited 12 years ago)

I agree with Alex... Just know your A level Economics and MATHS extremely well. Thoroughly understand current Economic events and have your take on it. If you have mentioned any Economic topic in your PS than have a good understanding of that topic. Do not waste time with 1st yr text books... Interviewers are more interested in evaluating your thinking abilities based on how would you apply your knowledge (A level) in current topics.
Original post by Dumb Economist
I agree with Alex... Just know your A level Economics and MATHS extremely well. Thoroughly understand current Economic events and have your take on it. If you have mentioned any Economic topic in your PS than have a good understanding of that topic. Do not waste time with 1st yr text books... Interviewers are more interested in evaluating your thinking abilities based on how would you apply your knowledge (A level) in current topics.

What kind of topics do they ask in terms of maths (no need to be specific)
What kind of topics do they ask in terms of maths (no need to be specific)

Just look at 1st yr Maths topics .... clearly gives topics that one is suppose to know from the A level - maths.

try this... :smile: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/prospect/ba/outlines/PartIPaper3.pdf

good luck
Thanks all,

i know i've sounded a little desperate (may be too weak a word) but i really want to study econ at cambridge (maybe maths).....so thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 986

I also agree with Alex :wink:

If you're interested in specific areas of Economics, then by all means do research on and write about those. You want to avoid putting really common books on your PS though - so avoid stuff like Freakonomics (which isn't really what a real Economist should be proud of reading anyway!).

But yes, like Dumb Economist said - know your Econ and Maths REALLY well. At the end of the day, all the interviewers are looking for is someone who a) has a genuine interest in Economics and b) has genuine potential to excel.
Original post by Dumb Economist
x

x

Original post by n_251
x

Original post by lp386
x

Can you guys recommend Part I books for us freshers please :smile: Seen the reading list but assume some are better then others?! Thanks:biggrin:
Original post by StarChamber
Can you guys recommend Part I books for us freshers please :smile: Seen the reading list but assume some are better then others?! Thanks:biggrin:

Go back one page in this thread. :h:

Go back one page in this thread. :h:

Thanks! I should have a better read of this thread :tongue: Do you think we should buy all of those books or would they be available in libraries?

EDIT: and should we buy them in Cambridge or prior to our arrival? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks! I should have a better read of this thread :tongue: Do you think we should buy all of those books or would they be available in libraries?

EDIT: and should we buy them in Cambridge or prior to our arrival? :smile:

Definitely wait until you get to Cambridge to buy them (unless you really want to read them now and can't get hold of them), and also wait a couple of weeks to find out which ones you actually need and which ones there are loads of in the Marshall Library or your college library. Before first year I bought around £300 worth of books and only really used a third of them. :doh:
Reply 991
Congrats to everyone that got into Cambnridge!

Basically, |I want to do Econ at cam... my AS results were

289/300 - Maths
277/300 - Further
181/200 - French
but 172/200 in Econ !!!

Do you honestly think I should still apply?
Definitely wait until you get to Cambridge to buy them (unless you really want to read them now and can't get hold of them), and also wait a couple of weeks to find out which ones you actually need and which ones there are loads of in the Marshall Library or your college library. Before first year I bought around £300 worth of books and only really used a third of them. :doh:

Original post by verdhy
Congrats to everyone that got into Cambnridge!

Basically, |I want to do Econ at cam... my AS results were

289/300 - Maths
277/300 - Further
181/200 - French
but 172/200 in Econ !!!

Do you honestly think I should still apply?

No harm. Economics UMS is slightly dissapointing comparitively but you've got a good chance especially with those maths scores.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 993
From literally ages ago, my Economics Tripos Part I Preliminary Reading List. Might be a bit out of date now.

Original post by n_251
Having just finished Part I, I'd say most of the reading list holds well and is mostly still relevant. Although, I'd also recommend the following in addition to those above:

Paper 1 - Morgan, Katz and Rosen (good alternative to Varian, though I prefer Varian to it)
Paper 2 - Blanchard (prefer this to Burda and Wyplosz if you're looking for a textbook with more detail than Mankiw)
Paper 5 - Robert C. Allen (The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective - this is a new book and the author is endlessly quoted by one of the new lecturers!)

I've ordered Mankiw and Taylor (macro), Varian (micro), Dixit (games of strategy) and Lind, Marchal and Mason (statistical techniques in bus and econ). I was wondering about how easy it would be to regularly borrow the other textbooks at Cambridge? I realise this would vary between colleges but I assume they would be appropriately stocked. Are there other textbooks you would recommend I get my own copy of?
Original post by Ray_Han
I've ordered Mankiw and Taylor (macro), Varian (micro), Dixit (games of strategy) and Lind, Marchal and Mason (statistical techniques in bus and econ). I was wondering about how easy it would be to regularly borrow the other textbooks at Cambridge? I realise this would vary between colleges but I assume they would be appropriately stocked. Are there other textbooks you would recommend I get my own copy of?

College libraries vary quite a lot in what books they have and how many of each relative to the number of economics students. Similarly the Marshall Library has loads of some of the main textbooks and fewer of others, with no logical reason that I could ever work out. So again my advice is to wait until you're a couple of weeks in. :smile:
Original post by Ray_Han

Original post by Ray_Han

Where did you decide to buy your books from? And how did you go about deciding :tongue: PM me if you want. Exciting times and I might see you in October!
Reply 996
College libraries vary quite a lot in what books they have and how many of each relative to the number of economics students. Similarly the Marshall Library has loads of some of the main textbooks and fewer of others, with no logical reason that I could ever work out. So again my advice is to wait until you're a couple of weeks in. :smile:

Yeah, this is probably the best idea. It is so tempting to go and spend hundreds of pounds on textbooks though!

Where did you decide to buy your books from? And how did you go about deciding :tongue: PM me if you want. Exciting times and I might see you in October!

I bought them from Amazon. Have you got your reading list yet? I originally might have bought the * books on it but there are way too many. I've heard that Mankiw and Taylor, and Varian were the main micro/macro books so I got those. I was interested in game theory and have already read a Dixit book, so I got his textbook, although I'm guessing it's not necessary. Then the stats book was first on the list (a bad way to choose I know :tongue:), so I got it. As you can see, I haven't put much thought into which textbooks I bought, but I think Amazon is a good place to get them. Wherever you do get them from, I would definitely get them second hand. It will be cheaper and you should get a greater resale margin if you sell them on next year. Yes, times are exciting :biggrin:, worried about it being incredibly hard though!
Reply 997

No harm. Economics UMS is slightly dissapointing comparitively but you've got a good chance especially with those maths scores.

I know :frown: I was thinking about retaking, but I just dont get why my marks are so bad?!

Thanks for your help though :d
Original post by verdhy

Original post by verdhy
I know :frown: I was thinking about retaking, but I just dont get why my marks are so bad?!

Thanks for your help though :d

They're definitely not bad, but you must keep in mind that Economics is a very competitve course and that you are expected to get higher. I wouldnt worry about it though, an A is a very good mark. In addition to this you have other brilliant scores!
Reply 999
Original post by Ray_Han

Hmm I personally would've bought Osborne instead of Dixit but they're both equally good. There aren't really any other books you 'need' to buy. Pretty much everything is available in the Marshall Library and your college library may well have a lot of the other books you'll use. Mankiw and Taylor and Varian are the two that I recommend every first-year have their own copy of. The others you are better off borrowing from libraries or waiting till you get to Cambridge to see your need for it.

Also, wait till you get to Cambridge to get your books. Many second years will be selling their books from their first year, so you should be able to pick up books fairly cheaply and more quickly than if you order online!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending