The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
looking for my advice on filling in my SAQ:

for 'how have you maintained your interest' is it a good idea just to name drop books? seeing as there are only 300 characters?
Reply 1381
Just wondering...

Do you study anything about networks during undergraduate studies at Cambridge?
Original post by amg_22
Just wondering...

Do you study anything about networks during undergraduate studies at Cambridge?

There's an optional paper in Part IIB (third year) called "Economic Theory and Analysis" (Paper 4) which has a module on networks. :smile: I took this paper and it was really interesting. :yep:
Reply 1383
Original post by alex_hk90
There's an optional paper in Part IIB (third year) called "Economic Theory and Analysis" (Paper 4) which has a module on networks. :smile: I took this paper and it was really interesting. :yep:

sounds good!

what kind of things did you learn about?

i'm talking about networks on my additional PS for the SAQ with focus on public policy, is this a good idea?
When do essays have to be handed in by for the colleges? Early nov?
Original post by amg_22
sounds good!

what kind of things did you learn about?

It's very theoretical - quite a lot of it is mathematical proofs.

Original post by amg_22
i'm talking about networks on my additional PS for the SAQ with focus on public policy, is this a good idea?

I have no idea - I don't think I wrote any economics content in my additional PS.
Reply 1386
It's very theoretical - quite a lot of it is mathematical proofs.

I have no idea - I don't think I wrote any economics content in my additional PS.

oh right what did you talk about?
Reply 1387
Supppp, anyone here from homerton? xo
Original post by amg_22
oh right what did you talk about?

Not much - just general stuff about the college and Cambridge (I had visited Pembroke at a college open day before so mainly about that). To be honest I don't think it matters that much.
Reply 1389
Not much - just general stuff about the college and Cambridge (I had visited Pembroke at a college open day before so mainly about that). To be honest I don't think it matters that much.

Yup, I didn't even write an additional PS myself.
Reply 1390

really? someone on TSR told me if you write anything about the college it gets changed to 'University of Cambridge' because of something to do about open applications :confused:

i guess he was trolling then :laugh:
Reply 1391
Original post by amg_22
really? someone on TSR told me if you write anything about the college it gets changed to 'University of Cambridge' because of something to do about open applications :confused:

Or maybe it's a recent change given that Alex applied 4 years ago and has now since graduated :tongue:
Original post by amg_22

Could be true - remember when I applied it was a paper CAF so it would look a bit strange to have it redacted. :tongue:
Reply 1393
would economics be capitalised here?

... is one of the key reasons I want to study economics at the University of Cambridge.
Does anybody know whether Cambridge will consider which exam board applicants have used for AS Levels? For example, my school use OCR for maths, which (I am told) is harder than some other boards (which begs the question, why use this exam board in the first place?...), whereas for Economics we use AQA, which makes scoring high UMS fairly straightforward. Given that UMS marks are pretty key for Cambridge, will this be taken into account? Thanks in advance.
Reply 1395
Original post by economist17
Does anybody know whether Cambridge will consider which exam board applicants have used for AS Levels? For example, my school use OCR for maths, which (I am told) is harder than some other boards (which begs the question, why use this exam board in the first place?...), whereas for Economics we use AQA, which makes scoring high UMS fairly straightforward. Given that UMS marks are pretty key for Cambridge, will this be taken into account? Thanks in advance.

No they don't care. Students have no choice in what exam boards their school takes and the difference in difficulty between exam boards is debatable to say the least.
Original post by zxh800
Or maybe it's a recent change given that Alex applied 4 years ago and has now since graduated :tongue:

I think it's now 5 years ago. :sadnod: :tongue:
Original post by zxh800
No they don't care. Students have no choice in what exam boards their school takes and the difference in difficulty between exam boards is debatable to say the least.

I imagined this would be the case. Although, when they are asking for details such as class size on the SAQ, it does show that they are interested in the minutiae of an application.
Reply 1398
I imagined this would be the case. Although, when they are asking for details such as class size on the SAQ, it does show that they are interested in the minutiae of an application.

they ask for as much info as possible so they can make their decisions which is the point of the SAQ

the reason i think exam boards will have no effect is because 1. they will have no idea which one are harder than others (especially when it changes year on year) and 2. the effect it would have would be so minuscule i don't see it ever being the difference between an offer and rejection

Im pretty sure grade boundaries are adjusted for that : For example, Edexcel is an "easy" exam board for maths but it is usually 70/75 raw marks to get 90 ums, whereas with OCR it is like 62/72

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending