The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Confucian
Oh ok, so it seems better just to wait until Year 13 to get the Maths A* then.

Also, I see that you're doing Additional Further Maths. So I was wondering whether you could tell me of the benefits of doing all of the stats modules 1-4? I think that my college could cater for me to do all the stats modules, and if so, I'll probably do:

Maths:
C1-4, S1, M1

Further Maths:
FP1-2, D1. S2-S4

Bearing in mind that Statistics is my favourite branch of maths. Do you think it would be beneficial - rather than doing M2 and M3, especially as Cambridge recommend "as many stats modules as possible".

I am not at Cambridge so I can't say how helpful it is (Just an offer holder) . However, S1-S4 really aren't hard (I personally finished them all within 6 weeks total.) M2/M3 obviously have no application whatsoever to economics so stats would be a lot more useful. It won't give your application an advantage as others may not have had the opportunity to stats but I get the impression it'll help once you're there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Extricated
I am not at Cambridge so I can't say how helpful it is (Just an offer holder) . However, S1-S4 really aren't hard (I personally finished them all within 6 weeks total.) M2/M3 obviously have no application whatsoever to economics so stats would be a lot more useful. It won't give your application an advantage as others may not have had the opportunity to stats but I get the impression it'll help once you're there.

Ok - I'll probably do all the stats modules then, as I enjoy them anyway. Thanks.
Sorry if I'm asking the same kind of question again, but to what extent is it beneficial? Like - will it be considered "stand out" when compared to the normal applicant who just does up to Stats 2?

It'll be useful in that if you get in you'll have covered a bit more of the content for the first-year maths paper (Part I Paper 3: Quantitative Methods). I doubt it will actually help you that much in terms of getting an offer though - obviously it can only be beneficial but I wouldn't say it would be considered "stand out", no. But yes - if you like them you might as well do them all. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
It'll be useful in that if you get in you'll have covered a bit more of the content for the first-year maths paper (Part I Paper 3: Quantitative Methods). I doubt it will actually help you that much in terms of getting an offer though - obviously it can only be beneficial but I wouldn't say it would be considered "stand out", no. But yes - if you like them you might as well do them all. :smile:

Ok - I think I'll go for it then. Thanks for your opinion!:smile:
Reply 1784
Hi. Thinking of applying for Economics at Cambridge this year. I think I did fairly well in my C1, C2 (Maths A-level), FP1 and S1 modules (taken as part of FM A-level) i.e: at least 95 UMS. Do you think my application will be hindered if my UMS for my M1 (as part of Maths) and D1 (as part of FM) modules are lower, even though they are less relevant for economics? Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Belle18
Hi. Thinking of applying for Economics at Cambridge this year. I think I did fairly well in my C1, C2 (Maths A-level), FP1 and S1 modules (taken as part of FM A-level) i.e: at least 95 UMS. Do you think my application will be hindered if my UMS for my M1 (as part of Maths) and D1 (as part of FM) modules are lower, even though they are less relevant for economics? Thanks.

As long as your overall average for all Maths modules is above 90, it should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1786
Original post by JOR2010
As long as your overall average for all Maths modules is above 90, it should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks. Do you think Cambridge would be concerned if my three best AS subjects were FM, Economics and History (instead of FM, Maths and one of the other two), or are they more focused with the actual UMS average, regardless of which three subjects they are taken from?
Reply 1787
Ok, so. I'm:confused: debating whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. Thing is Cambridge cares about your marks but oxford doesn't so even if I got full ums marks(A*), someone else who just about got the same grade as me ie literally on the grade boundary of an A* could get that place and not to mention that there is only a 30% chance for an interview. Whereas in Cambridge its more mathsy which I don't really mind but getting those UMS marks might be hard but if I impress well in the interviews which I have/ anyone has chance of 80% of being interviewed. What is really off-putting in the Cambridge economics course is that you have to do a paper on British history and politics rather than something else more flexible( I don't know but something like management or something more mathsy like statistics etc.).Any help? :s-smilie:
Original post by Belle18
Okay thanks. Do you think Cambridge would be concerned if my three best AS subjects were FM, Economics and History (instead of FM, Maths and one of the other two), or are they more focused with the actual UMS average, regardless of which three subjects they are taken from?

No, as long as Maths is strong. And your others are 90+ still.
Reply 1789
Original post by Nirm
Ok, so. I'm:confused: debating whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. Thing is Cambridge cares about your marks but oxford doesn't so even if I got full ums marks(A*), someone else who just about got the same grade as me ie literally on the grade boundary of an A* could get that place and not to mention that there is only a 30% chance for an interview. Whereas in Cambridge its more mathsy which I don't really mind but getting those UMS marks might be hard but if I impress well in the interviews which I have/ anyone has chance of 80% of being interviewed. What is really off-putting in the Cambridge economics course is that you have to do a paper on British history and politics rather than something else more flexible( I don't know but something like management or something more mathsy like statistics etc.).Any help? :s-smilie:

History and Politics are only for a year, don't let that be a deciding factor.
Reply 1790
True I still have 3 years to decide.I'm still in year 10, although I was invited to go to oxford this Thursday. toop 10 students from my school went there, it was to persuade us to go there basically, I really liked it and also met a eco and management student there.I'm replying to Wathen by the way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Belle18

For application to Arts at Cambridge, which Economics is, they look at the UMS average of your three strongest subjects and compare. (This is according to the admission information in the Cambridge website)

But I am sure someone with a subject combination of Maths+FM+Econ will be favored over someone with three less traditional subjects.

But your combination seems very strong to me so the combination will be a plus rather than a minus for you imo.

(Note that I am an offer holder for 2012-2013 cycle as suggested by the sig, rather than an actual student or a past student)
Original post by Belle18

FM & Maths counts as one subject for your UMS average. All your maths modules are added together to produce one UMS %, so it will be maths, Economic, History which counts.

Maths tends to get tested at interview, especially stats/calculus but many admissions tutors (if not all) will be aware of the greater relevance of stats modules than mechanics ones.
Reply 1793
What would be my chances with around 90% in Further Maths and 95% in Maths? Pretty good or would that be only average?
Original post by Colmans
FM & Maths counts as one subject for your UMS average. All your maths modules are added together to produce one UMS %, so it will be maths, Economic, History which counts.

Maths tends to get tested at interview, especially stats/calculus but many admissions tutors (if not all) will be aware of the greater relevance of stats modules than mechanics ones.

Could I ask whether they would look at your History UMS if you were dropping it after AS (i.e. History was your fourth AS and you would only continue with Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A2). I feel confident enough to get a high UMS in Maths, Further Maths and Economics at AS, although I'm not sure about how high my UMS will be when I do History.
Could I ask whether they would look at your History UMS if you were dropping it after AS (i.e. History was your fourth AS and you would only continue with Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A2). I feel confident enough to get a high UMS in Maths, Further Maths and Economics at AS, although I'm not sure about how high my UMS will be when I do History.

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/

This should help. Look at 1.4

They will look at everything. History as an essay subject is relevant for a tripos which includes some History papers.

As stated for ranking purposes Maths counts as one subject not two, so history will be used as your third.
Reply 1797

It depends on what you mean by high. I got in with 88 UMS in history (I had the exact same subjects that you propose taking although I took all four to A2 which I would advise as with the other 3 you don't have a broad enough range of subjects) so its not pivotal as long as the others are high. I had 95 in Economics and 95 across Maths and FM (well I did my Maths A-level in year 12 and FM in year 13 and had 97 for AS and 93 for A2).
Original post by zxh800
(I had the exact same subjects that you propose taking although I took all four to A2 which I would advise as with the other 3 you don't have a broad enough range of subjects) and 93 for A2).

I would agree with this. You will find many schools timetable Fm as only 1/2 a subject so many of your competitors will be doing four A2 (and a few 5) for Economics especially.
They will want to know that you can cope with a reasonably heavy workload so unless your history is disastrous I would keep it up. It is unlikely to form part of your offer as long as you have not certificated a maths A2.

Different colleges have different focuses I think. I didn't even have history because of school clashes. I got an offer with 94 maths, 99 economics, 96 further maths. I don't think they even looked at my 4th A level (chemistry at 90%)

The John's tutor for economics is a history don and I was asked directly why I hadn't picked History and had a 20 minute discussion on history's relevance in economics. Do it to A2, it will help.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending