The Student Room Group

Is a macbook pro good for student use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teenage Pirate
your mom does the job well enough, but thanks

A mother's got to do what a mother's got to do in order to put food on the table I guess. She's just that great a woman, would never let her kids go hungry :smile:

I've just asked her actually, she thinks we've found a solution to your problem:

http://www.vbhcs.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=24026&cn=1

I hope you find the help you desperately seek mate and remember, many men with your problem have gone on to lead perfectly healthy, happy lives. That Thai place definitely wouldn't judge you too much, don't worry x
Right, but I'm not sure why you decided to focus on my post for this instead of the original post I was replying to. There are advantages to both for workflow, I've said it many times. Surely your post is just as relevant for the person who thinks that using Touchpad shortcuts is superior to alt tab - you sure this isn't just another example of your bias? In this specific case, using Windows is a lot more efficient, I'm not sure why you would even try to deny that. You can compare documents with two mouse swipes after finding the documents (vs. Mac OS resizing the Windows) and you can switch between documents with literally one click (vs Mac OS one swipe).

If you want to "question why popular Linux distros use the same methods as OSX" then maybe you'd also like to take off your fanboy goggles and question why KDE for instance uses the same dock style as Windows or why Gnome uses a start menu instead of opening applications from the "Applications" tab in their file browser and realize that ultimately it doesn't mean very much.

Though industries where you work a lot (in this case, I'm referring to investment banking where people spend 80-100 hours per week in front of their computers) use Windows because for heavy work it's better.

You think I'm a ****ing fanboy? This is fantastic. I'm not the one crying over certain aspects and throwing around "people blind to a brand". Jesus wept.

Maybe it's just complete coincidence but when I open two documents they're resized already so two windows can fit side by side. I rarely have to resize my PDFs or word documents. They just fit side by side naturally. Not sure whether this is coincidental with my screen sizes or intentional or not but the point still stands. I have them side by side. I don't need to 'swipe' to compare them, I just click on the window next to it and I can type away in it.

You then seem to think one click is faster than a 'swipe'. As I have said a keyboard shortcuts are just as fast as each other. It all comes down to preference. I use a mixture. Again a matter of preference.

So you have found some distros which take inspiration from a Windows start bar. Bravo, this could go on for hours as we engage in a ping-pong match between each other listing numerous distros. The point I was making has gone over your head. You allude to the fact Windows has this fantastic workflow methods. For you and others it does. But if OSX was so unproductive, then distros wouldn't be sharing the same principles as each other. I'm not the one claiming one workflow is better than another. You're the one doing that.

And you really think that IB is using Windows because its better? Really not the case:
1) Most of the major operations will be done on a UNIX platform such as SUSE
2) Most IB software programs will be written for Windows given it is the largest market share
3) Windows is the most corporate friendly OS platform.
4) Hardware for Windows is cheaper
5) Market share. Market Share. Market Share.

Do you realise how silly it sounds to suggest IBers use Windows because it's better? That's like me saying OSX is better than Windows because NASA were using OSX and Macbook Pros for the recent rover launch in the news. It's just ludicrous. I'm sure NASA engineers use their computers a lot, using your logic the fact they're using OSX means that it is simply better for heavy workload. What farcical logic.
(edited 11 years ago)
I was using it because someone else cited it before me and because Dell's site allows you to match the specs well enough to prove my point :P

The point you tried to prove by excluding the fact the MBPR has an SSD and then justifying it because you don't think SSDs are worth it whilst also excluding the fact I said "they're pretty much identical in price with edu discount
Reply 183
Quite impressive how rude people can get here talking about laptops, relax! No one is forcing anyone to buy anything, if you dont like it just dont buy it, no need to bash others or call them idiots for their choices.

Macs are definitely expensive. You will always find windows laptops for way cheaper, so if your budget is tight, get a windows. But Macs are not "overpriced." Some apple systems, like the retina MBP, is probably "overkill" for most consumers, and if all you want is uni work, you're wasting heaps of money. They're however not "overpriced." Some of these articles are a bit old, but still makes the point:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/06/macbook-pro-review-with-retina-display/
http://www.pcmech.com/article/is-the-mac-overpriced/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985.html

Both Windows and Mac systems are very nice, reliable and easy to use. Which OS you find better for your workflow depends entirely on the person's subjective needs. One is not better than the other. Both are marvellous operating systems, and I cant wait to upgrade to Win8 on my desktop and mountain lion on my MBP. Go for windows if you want lots of gaming, if not you'll be perfectly fine with either system.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rybee
Yes, only those who cannot afford one will say no.

What percentage of PC users buy a mac but then decide to go back to a PC? None. There's a reason why...

I'll be honest, I just got a macbookpro (about a month ago) and although it's a nice machine I would happily go back. I usually have a lot of things open, like research papers etc and it's just so much easier to find what I've been looking at (without accidentally closing something or losing it in a disorganized mess) on a PC.

The track pad is amazing, but I've heard touch gestures are going to be a lot better on windows 8 machines. I know that perhaps I've not got used to the mac OS yet, but I've had a fair amount of use out of it (have used other peoples before I bought mine) and know a lot of keyboard and swipe shortcuts.

OP It is good, but definitely not essential
Original post by PVisitors
The point you tried to prove by excluding the fact the MBPR has an SSD and then justifying it because you don't think SSDs are worth it whilst also excluding the fact I said "they're pretty much identical in price with edu discount

ok your edu discount is 25% (vs the standard 15%)

the prices weren't "identical" with the SSD on BOTH computers, your Mac still came out as £80 more expensive

and just because you can somehow get a 25% discount on the Mac doesn't mean most people on here can and just because I wouldn't buy an SSD (on a PC, I actually have the choice) doesn't mean that I didn't provide you with an equally specced Dell which came in at a cheaper price.

and it's not like the SSD was the only feature that you could tweak on the Dell to make the price differences bigger. remember, we did this comparison entirely using your specifications. If we were to flip the script and let me pick a base machine and have you match it spec for spec, I'm pretty sure that even with your whopping 25% discount we'd see an even larger difference than £80
ok your edu discount is 25% (vs the standard 15%)

the prices weren't "identical" with the SSD on BOTH computers, your Mac still came out as £80 more expensive

and just because you can somehow get a 25% discount on the Mac doesn't mean most people on here can and just because I wouldn't buy an SSD (on a PC, I actually have the choice) doesn't mean that I didn't provide you with an equally specced Dell which came in at a cheaper price.

and it's not like the SSD was the only feature that you could tweak on the Dell to make the price differences bigger. remember, we did this comparison entirely using your specifications. If we were to flip the script and let me pick a base machine and have you match it spec for spec, I'm pretty sure that even with your whopping 25% discount we'd see an even larger difference than £80

Of course, because one has to understand that the MBPR is offering a bit more than the Alienware in relation to dimensions, weight, battery and of course the selling point of the screen which is why it will be a bit more expensive. Actually no with the standard 14% edu discount it is £1528 and £80 more expensive than your Alienware, as above keep in mind the obvious advantages one gets for that £80. I didn't use edu discount to get my 25%. Are you honestly telling me if you were entitled to the discount (or indeed have access to it, like everybody does if they fancy a quick google before they buy) and didn't care for gaming you would still choose the Alienware at £80 less? Come on. The MBPR for a student or anyone using the discount offers the best value for money.

We didn't do it on MY specifications. We did it on the Macbook Pro Retina specifications. I can't help it if Apple want to put in an SSD.

If you want to flip the script go for it. I never bothered looking at other OEMs. I would be curious myself to see how much other OEMs currently charge for a 2.3 i7, 256gb SSD, 1gb GT650m, 8gb ram with a long battery life.

Edit: I never said 'identical' you exclude my pretty much beforehand. I think a 5% variance within prices is reasonable, don't you? And for the record I've never claimed that Apple's other notebooks (other than their Macbook Air line) are priced the same as a Windows box. I just said that for what the MBPR offers, it is very aggressively priced.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
Apologies I haven't expressed that point clear enough. The person I quoted said that "any laptop/computer running intel can also run OSX". Granted I was off the mark slightly by saying it needs identical parts, but one still needs to select their parts or choice of laptop prior to buying if they want a hackingtosh, no? It's not a case of /any/ Intel hardware being capable of running OSX efficiently, or so I have always assumed this to be the case. Of course there is no point in buying a desktop, what I was trying to say that a hackingtosh has to be thought out and selected prior to the buying of parts. It's not a case of building a desktop or buying a laptop, then 12 months later deciding to put OSX on the tower and it to work efficiently (unless you got lucky).

The point about professionals is more about just how stable they are. I haven't used one so I have no room to comment, but even with the progression in the community which will be able to fix issues you run into, I still have reservations to just how flawless OSX run on them. Assuming a professional needs to use OSX for their living, I do question whether the saving made on a hackingtosh does actually negate the fact a Mac is running 'native' (for want of a better word to describe it) OSX.

Any computer can run it, but functionality will be restricted depending on how well the user tries to set it up or if the parts are compatible. The actual truth is somewhere in between what you two said.
Also compatibility is quite a bit better nowadays than you're implying. The project really has come a long way in the last few years.

Once you get OSX running, it's not going to die for no reason. I think this is more of a state of mind thing since you're using an OS on a system it wasn't explicitly intended to be used on. As long as you put in the time at the beginning to set it up properly, you only need to maintain it. You'll never need to put in that much effort into the system again.

Original post by metro2610
A mother's got to do what a mother's got to do in order to put food on the table I guess. She's just that great a woman, would never let her kids go hungry :smile:

I've just asked her actually, she thinks we've found a solution to your problem:

http://www.vbhcs.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=24026&cn=1

I hope you find the help you desperately seek mate and remember, many men with your problem have gone on to lead perfectly healthy, happy lives. That Thai place definitely wouldn't judge you too much, don't worry x

Tried way too hard there...
wall of text

1. documents and software aren't always the "right size", stop trying to make excuses for this. getting it to be half of your screen is the best possible fit if you're trying to read a document.
2. one click is "equivalent" to a swipe here, but two swipes is faster than resizing the windows manually. hence, of the two ways on offer here, one is equal (switching between the documents) and one is faster on a PC (putting the documents next to each other). give up already, you've lost this battle. you're a fanboy because you're unwilling to concede even minor points like this and instead defend every misguided feature.
3. that's the point retard. linux distros draw from both OSes and come up with stuff themselves. the precise point I was making in my first post which was in response to you naming one feature of OSX that existed in "the most common linux distros". I've always said that both OSes have plusses and minuses, the fact that you're defending a point which by all accounts you should have conceded ages ago means that while you say you agree with that, you really don't seem to.
4. point 1 is not valid for IBD, point 2: the most common program is Office and various add ons to Office. trust me, if it were possible to use Office more efficiently on a Mac, the software producers making support software such as Factset would move as soon as any bank said it was considering OSX.
5. I didn't say because IBs use Windows it's better, I said because heavy users use Windows more it's better for HEAVY USE. (ie more efficient for heavy users).
Original post by metro2610

Your mom never goes hungry after she's done with me, but how the rest of the family gets fed through that process I don't want to know.
1. documents and software aren't always the "right size", stop trying to make excuses for this. getting it to be half of your screen is the best possible fit if you're trying to read a document.
2. one click is "equivalent" to a swipe here, but two swipes is faster than resizing the windows manually. hence, of the two ways on offer here, one is equal (switching between the documents) and one is faster on a PC (putting the documents next to each other). give up already, you've lost this battle. you're a fanboy because you're unwilling to concede even minor points like this and instead defend every misguided feature.
3. that's the point retard. linux distros draw from both OSes and come up with stuff themselves. the precise point I was making in my first post which was in response to you naming one feature of OSX that existed in "the most common linux distros". I've always said that both OSes have plusses and minuses, the fact that you're defending a point which by all accounts you should have conceded ages ago means that while you say you agree with that, you really don't seem to.
4. point 1 is not valid for IBD, point 2: the most common program is Office and various add ons to Office. trust me, if it were possible to use Office more efficiently on a Mac, the software producers making support software such as Factset would move as soon as any bank said it was considering OSX.
5. I didn't say because IBs use Windows it's better, I said because heavy users use Windows more it's better for HEAVY USE. (ie more efficient for heavy users).

So basically we can conclude that for fact you know:
a) Windows is better than OSX for heavy use.
b) Windows has better workflow than OSX.

I think this is entirely subjective and I'm not going to get into an argument over personal preference of a user. Especially when they think its fact that just because IB (like the vast majority of professions) use Windows = that Windows is better for heavy workload. And finally not someone who has to resort to calling someone a retard over the internet because I don't agree with them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Of course, because one has to understand that the MBPR is offering a bit more than the Alienware in relation to dimensions, weight, battery and of course the selling point of the screen which is why it will be a bit more expensive. Actually no with the standard 14% edu discount it is £1528 and £80 more expensive than your Alienware, as above keep in mind the obvious advantages one gets for that £80. I didn't use edu discount to get my 25%. Are you honestly telling me if you were entitled to the discount (or indeed have access to it, like everybody does if they fancy a quick google before they buy) and didn't care for gaming you would still choose the Alienware at £80 less? Come on. The MBPR for a student or anyone using the discount offers the best value for money.

We didn't do it on MY specifications. We did it on the Macbook Pro Retina specifications. I can't help it if Apple want to put in an SSD.

If you want to flip the script go for it. I never bothered looking at other OEMs. I would be curious myself to see how much other OEMs currently charge for a 2.3 i7, 256gb SSD, 1gb GT650m, 8gb ram with a long battery life.

Edit: I never said 'identical' you exclude my pretty much beforehand. I think a 5% variance within prices is reasonable, don't you? And for the record I've never claimed that Apple's other notebooks (other than their Macbook Air line) are priced the same as a Windows box. I just said that for what the MBPR offers, it is very aggressively priced.

Yeah, but when we did the comparison for a non-Retina Macbook I seem to recall a bigger difference? And edu store price wasn't 1528, I ran it using "school settings (instead of a uni) and the price was 16something? I posted it in the thread anyhow...

anyway doing a quick search now to see if I can easily customise any of these computers
Yeah, but when we did the comparison for a non-Retina Macbook I seem to recall a bigger difference? And edu store price wasn't 1528, I ran it using "school settings (instead of a uni) and the price was 16something? I posted it in the thread anyhow...

anyway doing a quick search now to see if I can easily customise any of these computers

Yeah I saw your cMBP comparison which is why if you want to go back I admitted that it had largely been gimped this refresh. Which I can only put down to trying to force sales of the MBPR.

I think we have hit a bit of a dead end here over the use of 'edu discount'. By edu I mean the standard university discount of 14%. School/college discount is 8%.

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000737
(edited 11 years ago)
Your mom never goes hungry after she's done with me, but how the rest of the family gets fed through that process I don't want to know.

I hear that using the 'Your mom...' line is a highly used defence mechanism for people with your small problem. Don't worry, I've still taken pity on you even if the rest of the world hasn't :grin:

Now come on man, its time to let your guard down. I'm only trying to help.
I've come to feel sorry for you and honestly if I've said anything heinous, then I take it back. I just want you to realise that life is a beautiful thing even with highly, highly insufficient length and girth x
Original post by zenb
They're not 'overpriced', they're priced proportionately to their quality.
That doesn't mean it's necessarily right for you.
Macs aren't very good for gaming unless you run Windows on it, so I'd be more inclined to save money and get a Windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card.

Macs also hold their value really well.
Reply 195
if u can afford it buy it.. u wont regret ur decision.

Posted from my Windows 7 Smartphone.
Original post by TheHoodatron
Macs also hold their value really well.

source please? lots of apple fanboys seem to think macs break down less than normal computers, but it isn't true
source please? lots of apple fanboys seem to think macs break down less than normal computers, but it isn't true

It's because the parts are all standard on a mac - it's a huge con for the user since they can't make any hardware modifications to their system (not even upgrade ram as its soldered on the motherboard) BUT standard hardware parts mean the machine is easier to maintain.

Although macs do appear overpriced the quality of their hardware is incomparable to anything else, not to mention all the software that comes with a mac (video editing tools, photo management).
Yeah I saw your cMBP comparison which is why if you want to go back I admitted that it had largely been gimped this refresh. Which I can only put down to trying to force sales of the MBPR.

I think we have hit a bit of a dead end here over the use of 'edu discount'. By edu I mean the standard university discount of 14%. School/college discount is 8%.

yeah, you're correct about the edu discount, sorry

http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/notebooks/vortexIII-LE/
configure that with a
i7 3610M
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M
240 GB Intel 520 Series SSD
for £1179, with the only different spec being the gfx card and you've actually improved the machine here

incase you want your computer to be made by a big brand, it gets more difficult to match the specs exactly - it would be kind of if I told you I wanted a "gaming gfx card" on the MBP. With a Sony Vaio you can pretty much match the specs but the prices are crazy that way, Dell, HP and other manufacturers do a lot better
Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook is a bit gimped processor (i7-3517) and gfx card (gt 630m) wise but has a 512gb SSD for £20 less than your MBPR with student discount
from an amazon search, try these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-P2542G-15-6-inch-Quad-Core-Blu-Ray/dp/B00861HVIY/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344874928&sr=1-4 (slightly better processor and graphics card for £1399)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending