The Student Room Group

Is a macbook pro good for student use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teenage Pirate
show me one objective study instead of just doing the typical apple user "they just do ok!!!!!!" whine

if people hadn't posted the breakdown rates, you'd be doing the exact same thing about reliability.

Okay. I haven't got time to give you all the evidence that will convince you, but just as quick study, his a link for Macintosh G5 tower. It is £390. It has been obsolete for about 6 years now - the chip is PPC and so won't run new software. It is 2Ghz dual core but only has 1GB of RAM preinstalled.

http://www.studiomacs.co.uk/secondhand_mac_g5_2.0DP.html

Assuming this was put out in 2006 (the latest it could possibly have been put out), it's actually very difficult to find a PC of similar spec and age on sale. However, I found something comparable on ebay, probably from around 2006/2007, with considerably better spec, going for less than £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-XW4600-PC-Intel-Core-Duo-E7200-2-53GHz-4MHz-Ram-160HD-Monitor-if-reqd-/150902001053?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item232275cd9d

I know this isn't conclusive, I'm just trying to give you an idea. Macs really do retain their value much longer than PCs. This isn't necessarily because they are better, it just very much is the case that they hold their value much longer. Any amount of time spent comparing makes this self-evident.
Original post by Rybee
Yes, only those who cannot afford one will say no.

What percentage of PC users buy a mac but then decide to go back to a PC? None. There's a reason why...

I must be one of those 'none' people then... :rolleyes:
Original post by johnaulich
Okay. I haven't got time to give you all the evidence that will convince you, but just as quick study, his a link for Macintosh G5 tower. It is £390. It has been obsolete for about 6 years now - the chip is PPC and so won't run new software. It is 2Ghz dual core but only has 1GB of RAM preinstalled.

Assuming this was put out in 2006 (the latest it could possibly have been put out), it's actually very difficult to find a PC of similar spec and age on sale. However, I found something comparable on ebay, probably from around 2006/2007, with considerably better spec, going for less than £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-XW4600-PC-Intel-Core-Duo-E7200-2-53GHz-4MHz-Ram-160HD-Monitor-if-reqd-/150902001053?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item232275cd9d

I know this isn't conclusive, I'm just trying to give you an idea. Macs really do retain their value much longer than PCs. This isn't necessarily because they are better, it just very much is the case that they hold their value much longer. Any amount of time spent comparing makes this self-evident.

Maybe they retain their value, but purchasing an immensely outdated Mac computer is not a logical decision. New software won't run, and Apple have abandoned support for those computers when they migrated to the Intel CPU.
show me one objective study instead of just doing the typical apple user "they just do ok!!!!!!" whine

if people hadn't posted the breakdown rates, you'd be doing the exact same thing about reliability.

Probably not that objective but it is backed up by figures. http://www.applematters.com/article/the-amazing-resale-value-of-your-mac/

It also becomes evident when you just shop around. A (totally obselete) G5 tower still goes in excess of £300. It is now 7 years old even though its chip architecture means it won't run new software.

Original post by Chad_Bronson
Maybe they retain their value, but purchasing an immensely outdated Mac computer is not a logical decision. New software won't run, and Apple have abandoned support for those computers when they migrated to the Intel CPU.

I didn't say it was a "logical decision".. just proving the point that they do hold their value.
I didn't say it was a "logical decision".. just proving the point that they do hold their value.

I know I know :smile:

Just thought I'd offer my tuppence in - I nearly bought a G4 from 2005 a few weeks ago! :redface:
Original post by Chad_Bronson
I know I know :smile:

Just thought I'd offer my tuppence in - I nearly bought a G4 from 2005 a few weeks ago! :redface:

Haha, I actually had one of those years and years ago. I gave it away in the end.
Original post by Otherguyx
Agreed with polymath.

Honestly, i would really not recommend getting a mac, at all. Even iphones i dont recommend, complete waste of money. I dont think apple software is crap, its good, but its heavily overpriced. you can get the equivalent for more than 10 times less price with windows.

This simply isn't true. Software prices are totally comparable give or take. Apple's iWork is about $60 (around £40). How much is Office again? Apple Logic Pro will set you back about $200 (about £120). Alongside Pro Tools, it is industry standard software. Avid's Pro Tools (Mac and PC) is over £300.
Probably not that objective but it is backed up by figures. http://www.applematters.com/article/the-amazing-resale-value-of-your-mac/

It also becomes evident when you just shop around. A (totally obselete) G5 tower still goes in excess of £300. It is now 7 years old even though its chip architecture means it won't run new software.

Neither of those is a comparison (no PCs rated - the fact that a £2,000 Mac goes for £400 in the aftermarket is the equivalent of a £400 PC going for £80 btw) or a large scale study. So no, try again.

LOOK: QUOTE A STUDY, CONDUCT A WIDE RANGE STUDY OR STOP SPREADING IT AS FACT. ONE EXAMPLE THAT YOU'RE NOT EVEN SURE ABOUT IS NOT A STUDY.

this is the same **** that you Apple fanboys try to say about reliability. "well you know my Macbook Pro from 3 years ago still works I never had a PC work over 3 years oh and all my friends agree" when infact the studies say the opposite.

there's a lot of stuff on the first page of a google search that I'm sure leads to a study somewhere.
LOOK: QUOTE A STUDY, CONDUCT A WIDE RANGE STUDY OR STOP SPREADING IT AS FACT. ONE EXAMPLE THAT YOU'RE NOT EVEN SURE ABOUT IS NOT A STUDY.

this is the same **** that you Apple fanboys try to say about reliability. "well you know my Macbook Pro from 3 years ago still works I never had a PC work over 3 years oh and all my friends agree" when infact the studies say the opposite.

there's a lot of stuff on the first page of a google search that I'm sure leads to a study somewhere.

If you shout at me, I'm not going to do anything. I'm not an "Apple fanboy", I also use PCs. If my work didn't require a Mac, I'd almost certainly have bought one instead (simply because of price).

P.S. Manners make the world go round; It's possible to show some courtesy even on the internet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 391

I thought they taught basic statistics in GCSE Maths. Do you know what a sample size is?
Original post by Rybee

What percentage of PC users buy a mac but then decide to go back to a PC? None. There's a reason why...

lol you can just install mac operating system on any bog standard laptop

the reason why people hate macs is because of the s**t specs per price

for £900 id be expecting a very good graphics card, not so with macs

but as i said before you can install mac operating system on any laptop
Original post by ergo30
I need a new reliable laptop in September, is the macbook pro a good laptop?

I need it for:

Student work
web surfing
Some gaming :biggrin:

so is the macbook pro good for these uses?

All help appreciated :biggrin:

If by some gaming you mean light yes, on mine I play The Sims 3, Minecraft, Peggle, Left 4 Dead and Trine and they all run really well actually, considering mine's from 2011 when they changed the graphics card from Nvidia to integrated :frown::frown::frown:
If you shout at me, I'm not going to do anything. I'm not an "Apple fanboy", I also use PCs. If my work didn't require a Mac, I'd almost certainly have bought one instead (simply because of price).

P.S. Manners make the world go round; It's possible to show some courtesy even on the internet.

Why would I? You're probably the 20th or so "not an Apple fanboy" to make false claims about Apple products on this thread "because you know it just kind of seems like it, here's one example etc oh and my friends"

It's sad how that company has managed to brainwash so many people into accepting things with absolutely no evidence, and it's a bit boring to have to repeat the same arguments over and over again.
Original post by tooosh
I thought they taught basic statistics in GCSE Maths. Do you know what a sample size is?

Do you know what a 'basic idea' is? People really are condescending sometimes on here.
Why would I? You're probably the 20th or so "not an Apple fanboy" to make false claims about Apple products on this thread "because you know it just kind of seems like it, here's one example etc oh and my friends"

It's sad how that company has managed to brainwash so many people into accepting things with absolutely no evidence, and it's a bit boring to have to repeat the same arguments over and over again.

I just told you, I need my Mac for work. It's the only Apple thing I own, so stop making assumptions. I've never seen someone get so angry about brand loyalty before. Maybe you should invest all that pent up frustration in something a little more worthwhile :smile:. What it's actually down to is something called supply and demand. The PC aftermarket is flooded, and so prices drop rapidly as a result. Because there are significantly fewer Macs around, they tend to retain their value longer.

The reason you should be courteous and show good manners is because if you don't, you appear childish and silly and it's a real bore to have someone scream at you over the internet with regards to which hunk of metal is better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 397
Do you know what a 'basic idea' is? People really are condescending sometimes on here.

That's because you are spouting rubbish. 'basic idea' isn't a valid reason for not finding proper evidence. It's 'basic idea' that gives popularity to fad diets, useless bits of technology etc. I can go into more detail about why you have to consider more than just what you did, but there's only one way to prove the point you made!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tooosh
That's because you are spouting rubbish. 'basic idea' isn't a valid reason for not finding proper evidence. It's 'basic idea' that gives popularity to fad diets, useless bits of technology etc. I can go into more detail about why you have to consider more than just what you did, but there's only one way to prove the point you made!

If you actually look at what I wrote, I made it very clear that I was under no illusions - that wasn't enough evidence to go on. I don't have time, believe it or not, to conduct a rigorous study and I've yet to find one. That being said, it's very very difficult to find an older PC (5 years or more) on sale and to the find the original retail prices of those PCs.
Original post by Rybee

I did. It's a status symbol. A toy, rather than a tool. An expensive ego massager. Whichever one you want. Paying more for less doesn't make you better than someone else, it makes you foolish. And a fool and his money are soon parted. :smile:

The only reason to buy a Mac is if you're dealing with digital media. And I don't mean playing about with your iTunes in Starbucks, I mean real work with digital media.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending