The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Best thing to do is book in to see your school's career advisor who will be able to keep you up to date with it all :smile:

This was sent from TSR's iPhone app, as I couldn't be arsed to turn on the laptop.
Reply 2
Your school may have the option to study Computing/Computer science at GCSE and at A-level - not just at university level.

You should concentrate with your GCSEs first, making sure you get decent grades in maths and perhaps IT.

At A-level you should take Computing/Computer science, Maths, and Further Maths in order to be best prepared, although Computing itself is not mandatory.
Reply 3
ComSci is mainly built around Maths, although ICT/Computing is an obvious benefit. Aim for an A* at GCSE maths, as well as at least 4 other A's. GCSE's are not the most vital thing, however achieving the maths grade is as you need at least an A/A* (varies between colleges) to take further Maths.

At A-level, you will have to do Maths and Further Maths. Computing is not essential but obviously helps. For you're 4th subject, many people would say take another science, Physics and Chemistry would both be great, Physics a bit more though. Personally, I would advise taking Philosophy. I recommend it because the subject really broadens your mind and enhances your critical thinking abilities, which will come in handy with the logical proponents of all the maths you will be doing. Plus, you learn very differently to sciences, and you don't need to know anything prior to be good at it. It's a very enjoyable subject. It's also beneficial because it's an art subject, so adds some variety to your selection and means you won't be overloaded with science.

But focus entirely on your GCSE's for the next 2 years.
If you were applying to us at Oxford for CS we'd prefer to see a generally good set of GCSEs, especially in Maths, and also the sciences. But we don't have any specific requirements. Nor would we be too bothered if, for example, you'd done poorly in drama.

It's A Levels (or IB, or equivalent) where subject choice matters. Maths is essential. Further Maths is highly recommended if your school offers it. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. Our courses start from first principles so we aren't looking for any specific knowledge of computing. We are looking for a genuine interest in the subject, so doing an A Level in computing can help demonstrate this, but there are many other ways. The important thing is that you take a combination of subjects that develops your mathematical thinking and allows you to meet the standard conditional offer of the course you want to apply for. For us that's A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing.

But that's not to say we haven't had successful candidates who've taken, for example, Maths, Further Maths and something like English Literature, or a modern language, or even History or Economics as a third/fourth A Level. It's important you pick something you'll enjoy and do well in. ICT A Level isn't particularly relevant to us, but if you did it as a fourth A Level it wouldn't be negative on your application, but it wouldn't really add anything either.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
If you were applying to us at Oxford for CS we'd prefer to see a generally good set of GCSEs, especially in Maths, and also the sciences. But we don't have any specific requirements. Nor would we be too bothered if, for example, you'd done poorly in drama.

It's A Levels (or IB, or equivalent) where subject choice matters. Maths is essential. Further Maths is highly recommended if your school offers it. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. Our courses start from first principles so we aren't looking for any specific knowledge of computing. We are looking for a genuine interest in the subject, so doing an A Level in computing can help demonstrate this, but there are many other ways. The important thing is that you take a combination of subjects that develops your mathematical thinking and allows you to meet the standard conditional offer of the course you want to apply for. For us that's A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing.

But that's not to say we haven't had successful candidates who've taken, for example, Maths, Further Maths and something like English Literature, or a modern language, or even History or Economics as a third/fourth A Level. It's important you pick something you'll enjoy and do well in. ICT A Level isn't particularly relevant to us, but if you did it as a fourth A Level it wouldn't be negative on your application, but it wouldn't really add anything either.

I'm sorry to reopen this thread but I have a question: Would you consider 3A* 8As as a competitive or a "generally good" set of GCSE results, bearing in mind that the A*s were in Maths, Physics and English Language?
Original post by sazzabazza
I'm sorry to reopen this thread but I have a question: Would you consider 3A* 8As as a competitive or a "generally good" set of GCSE results, bearing in mind that the A*s were in Maths, Physics and English Language?

Hi. That's lower then the average we normally see from successful Computer Science candidates. But it's just that: an average. We don't have any specific requirements for GCSEs. And I can think of candidates with offers who had lower grades than that. GCSEs are just one of many things we look at when deciding who to interview and ultimately offer places. We're looking for an overall picture of what you can do. GCSEs certainly aren't the be-all and end-all of an application. As long as you had good predicted A Level grades (or equivalent) in relevant subjects we'd be happy to see an application from you with those GCSE grades.
I want to go to Oxford University when I’m older. Could you give a a rough detail about how many A* or A’s you need for the entry requirement?
KeeleyMarie2005 I want to go to Oxford University when I’m older. Could you give a rough detail about how many A* or A’s you need for the entry requirement?
Hi.

Well let's look at the A Levels you need first, then try and backtrack to see what you need to do for GCSE.

A Levels some good unis would like is Maths, the top end, if Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial etc is your goal, will probably be Further Maths too. A good proportion of CS applicants take Physics, now whilst I'm unsure if this is inherently a requirement, it is quite liked. The 4th subject can really be whatever, some take CS A Level, some take Chemistry, etc. Maths, FM is the key, and Physics if you want to boost your odds.

Now, you think, why is CS A Level not mandatory?

It's not really mandatory for many unis, infact, and some don't inherently take to it. This is because CS A Level has immense breadth but not much depth, so really it's just a foundation course for degree level. However it won't really REDUCE your odds, so if you're truly passionate about CS, and feel you'd do best in that A Level, take that, as long as you have Maths, FM, and maybe Physics,it really doesn't matter.

Now, how can we get to that path by GCSEs?

Firstly, Maths and FM will just require grade 7-9 (depending on your school), in Maths. Physics will be about grade 6-8 depending on school, and most of the sciences are, so your first priority is to attain in your core subs, esp Maths, and the sciences.

Options?

Well if you're intent on doing CS A Level, CS GCSE is a good start, I did it and it was fairly fun. However do note that some schools don't actually require CS GCSE for CS A Level, and just required a grade 6-7 minimum at GCSE Maths, check up on your school.

Besides that?

Well, it really doesn't matter! Unless you're intent on picking a subject at A Level like Geography or French, the GCSE options don't matter, of course since CS A Level isn't mandatory and if you'd prefer something else at A Level, you'll have to attain in that too, but don't worry too much about your GCSEs for CS.

Oxford?

Well they don't have set requirements in place for A*s, but they'll want the applicants to have majority grade 7-9s in their results.
Original post by KeeleyMarie2005
I want to go to Oxford University when I’m older. Could you give a a rough detail about how many A* or A’s you need for the entry requirement?

There is no fixed requirement. However, most successful candidates have at least six A*s (equivalent to 8 or 9 under the new scheme), including Maths and sciences.

There's lots of information on our web page: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/.

Gavin
Mathematics
Physics
English
Or any other subject of your choice to meet universities requirements
You need this above GCSEs if you are planning for computer science

Latest

Trending

Trending