The Student Room Group

Oxford 2012 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Julialala
Aww bless. Echinacea and vitamin C, go go go! Does anyone take vitamins on a regular basis?

I take Vitamin C daily :smile: always have done, I find that I get less ill (although I do eat fruit and veg everyday, honest :colondollar:) and my immune system is rubbish!

I'm stocking up on cold and flu relief for Fresher's! :ninja:
Original post by Julialala
Aww bless. Echinacea and vitamin C, go go go! Does anyone take vitamins on a regular basis?

I do :yep: the A-Z multivitamins with everything in, magnesium, cranberry supplements, and sometimes extra zinc :colondollar:

Also guys I FINALLY passed my driving test :woo:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 982
Original post by such_a_lady
I do :yep: the A-Z multivitamins with everything in, magnesium, cranberry supplements, and sometimes extra zinc :colondollar:

YAY! Well done!! :smile: I still don't have a licence/se (I forget this rule too much. I think C is the noun, and S is the verb? :s-smilie:) My stepdad's not been too keen on me driving since I nearly crashed into a tree when I was 8.

Original post by Niki_girl
I take Vitamin C daily :smile: always have done, I find that I get less ill (although I do eat fruit and veg everyday, honest :colondollar:) and my immune system is rubbish!

I'm stocking up on cold and flu relief for Fresher's! :ninja:

Yeah, echinacea and Cold & Flu tablets are going to get me through Freshers, along with the barrel load of tablets I take everyday. I've packed them all in my case and now they rattle, making me sound like a drug dealer/addict.

:party: WELL DONE! That's great news, and one less thing to have to worry about :biggrin: now you're all set for the real world :wink:

I've been learning to drive for a year, and still haven't passed my test...think I'm going to have to wait until next summer now, and have some lessons in between...I really hate driving, yet I don't want to live without it :tongue:

Out of interest, what are the magnesium, cranberry and zinc for? Anything specific, or are they just good to have? I'm actually clueless about which minerals and vitamins are for what, beyond the basics!
:party: WELL DONE! That's great news, and one less thing to have to worry about :biggrin: now you're all set for the real world :wink:

I've been learning to drive for a year, and still haven't passed my test...think I'm going to have to wait until next summer now, and have some lessons in between...I really hate driving, yet I don't want to live without it :tongue:

Out of interest, what are the magnesium, cranberry and zinc for? Anything specific, or are they just good to have? I'm actually clueless about which minerals and vitamins are for what, beyond the basics!

Thank you!!! I learnt for 18 months :lolwut: Have you already taken a test?

Sven recommended I take magnesium for muscle ache and fatigue, especially since I started exercise. Cranberry because I get cystitis faster than you can say "UTI", and zinc bolsters the immune system if I feel I'm coming down with something or have been under lots of stress. :yep:
Thank you!!! I learnt for 18 months :lolwut: Have you already taken a test?

Sven recommended I take magnesium for muscle ache and fatigue, especially since I started exercise. Cranberry because I get cystitis faster than you can say "UTI", and zinc bolsters the immune system if I feel I'm coming down with something or have been under lots of stress. :yep:

Nope :colondollar: apparently, according to my instructor there was 50/50 chance of me passing a test, and, after the money, I realised that even if I passed a test this minute I wouldn't have the confidence to drive on the roads where I live, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing half the time :frown:

Although it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one to have been learning for over a year! Sometimes it feels like it when my friends pass first time, after only a few months of lessons...

Oh...that's enlightening! I may try some Zinc then, next time I get stressed/ill (the two seem to come together often).
Nope :colondollar: apparently, according to my instructor there was 50/50 chance of me passing a test, and, after the money, I realised that even if I passed a test this minute I wouldn't have the confidence to drive on the roads where I live, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing half the time :frown:

Although it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one to have been learning for over a year! Sometimes it feels like it when my friends pass first time, after only a few months of lessons...

Oh...that's enlightening! I may try some Zinc then, next time I get stressed/ill (the two seem to come together often).

Believe me I KNOW that feeling :frown: EVERYONE passed before I did, even the Year 12s -.- I felt like that before my first test, but this time I could actually imagine driving alone. Failing sucks though, and really dashes your confidence. No really, even my instructor said I'm not a natural :tongue: If I can do it, anyone can :lolwut:
Reply 987
Believe me I KNOW that feeling :frown: EVERYONE passed before I did, even the Year 12s -.- I felt like that before my first test, but this time I could actually imagine driving alone. Failing sucks though, and really dashes your confidence. No really, even my instructor said I'm not a natural :tongue: If I can do it, anyone can :lolwut:

Haha it took me three attempts!! :O
Getting envious now that everyone I know can drive. If only insuring our car (just to learn) were cheaper.

I can see me finishing the degree and being 23 before I start learning. There goes the plan buy a camper to live in for several years.

Thanks everyone who said get well soon. I think if I hadn't taken last Wednesday off work I wouldn't have been so bad, no adrenalin and mental business to hold it off. (I think this is why the start of Uni vacations everyone feels ill).

CONGRATS!!!!! :party: :woo: :woo:

I have my first attempt on Friday. :afraid:
Also I went to buy clothes today. Question: why the **** are about half of all women's tops on sale these days ****ing SEE THROUGH?!?? :lolwut: :lolwut: :lolwut: so what, we're supposed to spend more money to buy something to wear under it? **** that ****. :fuhrer: :fuhrer: :fuhrer:
Reply 991
Has anyone started using Oxford's email service? (accessed from nexus.ox.ac.uk)
Since Oxford gives you two email addresses (one for college, and one for your subject department), how're you meant to access them both? At the moment when I log on with my username, I only get access to my college email.
Original post by .Met.
Since Oxford gives you two email addresses (one for college, and one for your subject department), how're you meant to access them both? At the moment when I log on with my username, I only get access to my college email.

When I log on with outlook, I log onto to worc****@nexus.etc, I assumed that the [email protected] address was just acting as an alias for the central account. Didn't know we had subject ones, but I bet they're both just aliases for the nexus.etc account. Could be wrong though! Need a current student....

EDIT: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/email/newusers/index.xml
Sections 3-5 explain it.
Are you a postgrad then?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 993
Original post by CherryandWhite
When I log on with outlook, I log onto to worc****@nexus.etc, I assumed that the [email protected] address was just acting as an alias for the central account. Didn't know we had subject ones, but I bet they're both just aliases for the nexus.etc account. Could be wrong though! Need a current student....

1000th post... nice!

I haven't tried logging in from Outlook, I just do it straight from the web browser. I'd also thought it's likely that both the college and subject emails are aliases for a central account, but just wanted to make sure.
Original post by medbh4805
Also I went to buy clothes today. Question: why the **** are about half of all women's tops on sale these days ****ing SEE THROUGH?!?? :lolwut: :lolwut: :lolwut: so what, we're supposed to spend more money to buy something to wear under it? **** that ****. :fuhrer: :fuhrer: :fuhrer:

That made me crack up xD camisoles are only like £2 though if that's any consolation...? :P A/W 2012 is all about layers :dontknow:

Also, good luck for Friday! Let us know how it goes. I prayed more before my test than I did for results :lolwut:

I treated myself to a longer gym session today (what have I become lol) and just missed my train so now I'm hungry and chilling at the station for another twenty minutes. Sigh...

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .Met.
1000th post... nice!

I haven't tried logging in from Outlook, I just do it straight from the web browser. I'd also thought it's likely that both the college and subject emails are aliases for a central account, but just wanted to make sure.

See the edit to my original post, I didn't get there before you replied.
Original post by .Met.

I only have the college email address, but I think it should work if you stick both of them into your email client
Reply 997
Original post by .Met.

You only get one email address. And all the departmental affiliations for undergraduates seem to have disappeared again.
Reply 998
Original post by CherryandWhite
See the edit to my original post, I didn't get there before you replied.

That's strange, I'm not a postgrad, but when I was registering for the Oxford emails and what not, I was told I'll have two emails, one for my college: "[email protected]" and one for my engineering department "[email protected]".

I think I'll send myself an email on the engineering address and see whether I receive it or not.

EDIT: it might be because my engineering course lasts 4 years and gets me a masters degree, so in my fourth year I'll be a postgrad?

EDIT2: It DOES seem that all department affiliations have disappeared for some reason. I just checked https://register.oucs.ox.ac.uk/self/user_info, which previously showed that I had two oxford emails, but now only my college one is listed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .Met.
That's strange, I'm not a postgrad, but when I was registering for the Oxford emails and what not, I was told I'll have two emails, one for my college: "[email protected]" and one for my engineering department "[email protected]".

I think I'll send myself an email on the engineering address and see whether I receive it or not.

EDIT: it might be because my engineering course lasts 4 years and gets me a masters degree, so in my fourth year I'll be a postgrad?

The info might just be out of date. I'm on four year physics and wasn't aware of any physics address. :dontknow:

Did your test mail get through?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending