The Student Room Group

Stop slacking, C4H4AsH! | TypicalNerd’s first year undergrad GYG (2023 - 2024)

Stop slacking, C4H4AsH! | TypicalNerd’s first year undergrad GYG (2023 - 2024)

Greetings all,

First and foremost, let me introduce myself: I’m TypicalNerd. I am studying chemistry at the University of Oxford and currently interested in finding a job as an inorganic chemist after graduation (though that plan may change). I am a fairly new study forum helper on TSR with a particular focus on the chemistry forum and supporting students who are studying A level chemistry. I also occasionally play chess (though I’m certainly no strategic genius) and enjoy a good bottle of wine every so often.

I would like to apologise in advance if this blog is not updated consistently (which I rather suspect it won’t be) as I expect to be given an especially intense workload. If you do decide to follow this GYG regardless, then that would be wonderful and I would like to thank you for doing so.
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Links for those of you who have any chemistry questions:

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Links to threads for those of you interested in applying to Oxford or supporting an Oxford application:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Tag list:

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Oooh you made one :awesome: Posting to subscribe, please tag me :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oooh you made one :awesome: Posting to subscribe, please tag me :biggrin:

Indeed I now have. Thank you and of course I shall!
Original post by TypicalNerd
Indeed I now have. Thank you and of course I shall!

PRSOM. Silly TSR, not letting me rep this :emo:
how do you revise brother
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
how do you revise brother

At A level / GCSE, mostly through use of the Feynman technique to better improve my ability to recall anything and everything related to a particular topic. See here for an idea of what I mean: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_f-qkGJBPts

I’d also regularly complete full past papers in exam conditions under the allowed amount of time, then mark them afterwards. The questions I lost marks on I took to be my weakest topics that needed to be recapped asap. I’d also use the examiner’s report to learn what kinds of mistakes others made on the same questions so I could avoid making them myself.

Unless doing a past paper, I’d typically study in 45 - 90 minute bursts with 15 minute breaks between in which I’d get a drink and a snack. This helped me to stay productive throughout.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 9
Update 1: So it begins…

The big move is today. Somehow, I’m not feeling especially anxious and I am genuinely really looking forward to starting.

I guess I’ll see what happens when I get to Oxford and have my belongings sorted out etc before jumping straight to formulating plans that I won’t bother sticking to. If I remember, I’ll update the thread later on to inform you of any noteworthy developments (if any).

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 10
Good luck @TypicalNerd
Reply 11
Original post by Grgy
Good luck @TypicalNerd

Thank you. I’ll need it.
Hope it's going well :h:
Reply 13
Hope it's going well :h:

It is.

I’ve finally got the keys to my room. So far, I’ve spent a short while sorting out my belongings and appreciating the wonderful view my enormous room has.

I believe there is a dinner scheduled later, so I’ll attend that and see if I can meet some of my soon to be coursemates.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 14

It is.

I’ve finally got the keys to my room. So far, I’ve spent a short while sorting out my belongings and appreciating the wonderful view my enormous room has.

I believe there is a dinner scheduled later, so I’ll attend that and see if I can meet some of my soon to be coursemates.

St John's is great. Let me know if you happen to come across a 3rd year biochemist :smile:
My friend goes there!
Reply 15
Hiii I’m an lmh physics fresher!! Nice to meet you
It is.

Fab stuff. Enormous room with a view sounds ideal :biggrin:

Hope dinner goes well :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Sakai04
St John's is great. Let me know if you happen to come across a 3rd year biochemist :smile:
My friend goes there!

Indeed St John’s is great - it happens to be the college I was allocated.

If I do meet any third year biochemists, I’ll inform you as soon as I know.
Reply 18
Original post by PAT_22
Hiii I’m an lmh physics fresher!! Nice to meet you

Hello. Nice to meet you, too.

I have seen a number of your posts recently - including a number of those on the undergraduate applicants thread that have provided a heck of a lot of insight into how to prepare for the PAT. Thanks for offering that support and I hope you also enjoy your time at Oxford.
Reply 19
Fab stuff. Enormous room with a view sounds ideal :biggrin:

Hope dinner goes well :smile:

Indeed it is. If that didn’t make it sound ideal enough, it is also apparently one of the quieter rooms, too.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending