The Student Room Group

Can someone explain british humor please?

Hi,

I'm an EU citizen and would love to get British humor.
Can anyone give me some tips or initiation to it please?

For example, two of my flatmates (which are Brits), were laughing at this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19238439

I didn't understand why? :biggrin:

Anyways, I'm not taking this specific case only, I generally don't understand the angle British humor has.

One of the few I understand, is the friday comedy show on BBC radio which I find BRILLIANT.

Thanks for your help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brits love mockery of failure + Heavy Sarcasm.

Don't worry about picking it up. It just grows on you.

Also, "Always look on the bright side" is a caption from Monty Python which is golden british humour. I'd suggest renting out "Life of Brian" DVD
Reply 2
Learn to be able to laugh along with others, at yourself.
Reply 3
Us Britons laugh in the face of failure, and that is what makes us a great nation.

He goes on to sing the bright side of life, which means that you should look forward to the betters thing in life which in turn links to him falling out of the cannon.

Watch Monty python.

Now that is an EU approved Eurocrat friendly explanation, I laughed at it for a completely other reason!

Rule Britannia!
British humour is better described rather than explained. We love the humble failure, the underdog who embarrasses himself in unfamiliar situations. In general, always expect British jokes to come with heavy use of sarcasm, irony and understatement.
Reply 5
Watch Mr Bean,although of their humour is sarcasm so the joke maybe about you and you may not even realise until you get home lol
Reply 6
Irony, sarcasm and self ridiculing

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
I'm an EU citizen as well, and it took me a bit of time to get used to British humour, but now I love it!

I'd advise you to watch Monty Python, as has been recommended, as well as Mr. Bean, Blackadder, and programs like Have I Got News For You.

A lot of British humour is delivered in a dry manner. So, watch the facial expressions of those who are delivering the joke, and the body language, especially with people like Rowan Atkinson.

Brits laugh at themselves and laugh at others. They laugh at serious situations, especially when things are bad. It's all about not taking yourself, or life, too seriously. They'll joke about politics, the state of the country, small mess ups and great, big, whopping ones. I like it, because when things look grim, it helps to laugh. When you laugh, it helps you to carry on.

British humour can be really subtle. Don't expect neon lights with flashing arrows pointing down stating "This Is A Joke!" It helps to have an understanding of British society, so that you know what the comedian is on about. I still don't know everything about it, so sometimes I haven't got a clue either and things go way over my head, but I'm learning :biggrin:.

Warning, though - once you've learned to understand, and hopefully love, British humour, other types of comedy can seem very over the top! I've watched movies and thought "yeah, yeah, I get it, I don't need it spelled out for me!" But that's a price worth paying.
Thanks everyone for your input!

Original post by Kittiara
I'm an EU citizen as well, and it took me a bit of time to get used to British humour, but now I love it!

I'd advise you to watch Monty Python, as has been recommended, as well as Mr. Bean, Blackadder, and programs like Have I Got News For You.

A lot of British humour is delivered in a dry manner. So, watch the facial expressions of those who are delivering the joke, and the body language, especially with people like Rowan Atkinson.

Brits laugh at themselves and laugh at others. They laugh at serious situations, especially when things are bad. It's all about not taking yourself, or life, too seriously. They'll joke about politics, the state of the country, small mess ups and great, big, whopping ones. I like it, because when things look grim, it helps to laugh. When you laugh, it helps you to carry on.

British humour can be really subtle. Don't expect neon lights with flashing arrows pointing down stating "This Is A Joke!" It helps to have an understanding of British society, so that you know what the comedian is on about. I still don't know everything about it, so sometimes I haven't got a clue either and things go way over my head, but I'm learning :biggrin:.

Warning, though - once you've learned to understand, and hopefully love, British humour, other types of comedy can seem very over the top! I've watched movies and thought "yeah, yeah, I get it, I don't need it spelled out for me!" But that's a price worth paying.

Thanks for the shows suggestions. I will look at them. If you have got anymore, please share.

For example, I watched a lot Mr Bean back home, and either I found a hole sketch brilliant or literally boring..weird :biggrin:
Reply 9
The class structure has been a popular source of British comedy. There are a lot of 1970s and 1980s comedies in this style.

Only fools and horses (working, with later some middle class characters), Blackadder (Baldrick is practically underclass, Blackadder is servant class (which him essentially middle class in this comedy) and then there is always an upper class above him).

Even when set in space like Red Space, Lister is working class, Rimmer is of middle class origins.

The Day Today, I'm Alan Partridge and Brass Eye are worth watching. Darker comedies are Jam and The League of Gentleman.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10

One example of divine British humour. Show this to any American and they'd be like WTF?
Reply 11
Our humour can be subtle, especially compared to the American sitcoms with the laugh tracks. Half the joke is often in the set up, and sometimes you'll have to remember something said earlier to get it. We like jokes that make us feel smart, and we also love self depreciating humor.

To give an example:

In the American version there will undoubtedly be lots of crashes as he drives straight into the shop, possibly with a cat screeching as well.

The link OP posted was a direct reference to Monty Python and Batman and Robin in the yellow van, also in the closing ceremony, was a reference to Only Fools and Horses.
Original post by destination unknown
Hi,

I'm an EU citizen and would love to get British humor.
Can anyone give me some tips or initiation to it please?

For example, two of my flatmates (which are Brits), were laughing at this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19238439

I didn't understand why? :biggrin:

Anyways, I'm not taking this specific case only, I generally don't understand the angle British humor has.

One of the few I understand, is the friday comedy show on BBC radio which I find BRILLIANT.

Thanks for your help

We basically like to make fun of ourselves and other people and tend to be quiet sarcastic. Try watching programmes like Faulty Towers, QI, Black Adder, Mr. Bean, Not going out, The Monty Python Sketches and Movies such as The Life of Brian and The Holy Grail, Run fat boy run... It'll take a while to get used to but I'm sure in no time you'll understand it

Monty Python- Dead Parrot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Rowan Atkinson at the opening of the Olympic ceremony.... Key thing here is to watch what he is doing :smile:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19053100
Reply 13
british humour is suttle and takes some thinking to get it, thats what makes it great.

foreign people find it hard to get my jokes because i have a really dry sense of humour.

other comedy is just slapstick compared to british and isnt that clever or funny.
Reply 14
Original post by destination unknown
Thanks everyone for your input!

Thanks for the shows suggestions. I will look at them. If you have got anymore, please share.

For example, I watched a lot Mr Bean back home, and either I found a hole sketch brilliant or literally boring..weird :biggrin:

Watching is definitely the way to go! Just watch, you should pick it up, if there are big specific bits you don't get then ask on here but a lot of it's just gonna be 'It's just the way they say it' or something like that :smile:

Some things which I'd personally recommend for getting an overview, since you asked:

Fawlty Towers
Anything to do with Alan Partridge (A character played by Steve Coogan)
Have I got News for You
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
Any Monty Python films
Blackadder
The Office (the UK one) and Extras
Comic Strip Presents... (I'd recommend the episode 'Bad News Tour')

I'll probably think of many more after posting.

Tbh when I think about it it's almost entirely making fun of someone. I very much agree with posters above saying it's about not taking yourself too seriously, making light of situations etc.

Ultimately don't panic too much about not getting it. Us brits are raised with it :P and there is plenty of stuff out there that lots of us still don't get.

I'd also note that it's not all about not being direct. For example, take a look at Bottom, or the Carry On films... there are lots of things where it's very obvious how it's meant to be funny.

xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
vicious bullying = BANTER!
Reply 16
Britain's humour is sarcasm, and banter with friends. It's a lot more cruel than humour from say the USA. Watch Monty Python, Blackadder, The Inbetweeners and also some standups like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr.
Reply 17
The Inbetweeners or blackadder (4th series) is the pick of the bunch for me.
Reply 18
Original post by 2ndClass

One example of divine British humour. Show this to any American and they'd be like WTF?

I'm British and to me that is like WTF??!!
Original post by ninuzu
I'm British and to me that is like WTF??!!

How do you not get it? The people are smoking, which is bad for your health, and then there's Death watching them, checking his watch.

Also, I want Always Look On the Bright Side of Life as a national anthem.

Quick Reply

Latest