The Student Room Group

VW Golf GTi Mk2

Hi all,

So I was considering getting a Mk2 Golf GTi as my next car and was wondering if anyone on here owns/has owned one. If so, I've got a couple of n00bish questions for you:

1) 8v or 16v: I understand that the 16v has quite a bit more power but also drinks more fuel when you put your foot down. I've also heard that its not as durable as the 8v and will need a rebuild after 125k miles, whereas the 8v can do double that. Is that true?

2) Rust: Is it much of problem? If I sealed the underneath with some WaxOyl would that be okay?

3) Parts: Are they easy to get hold of and relatively cheap?

4) Insurance: I'd be getting it for my 21st (long way off I know) so could I get it insured on a classic policy? What were your quotes like?

5) Everyday: Have you used yours as a daily driver? If so, how has she fared and do you regret not getting something else? I'd probably cover at most 5000 miles per year.

I'd really like a classic, but I'd also like to get something as 'reliable' as possible. I understand that's kind of an oxymoron but you get the idea. If anyone can suggest any other cars of the same era that might fit the bill, I'd be happy to consider them too!

Cheers
Reply 1
I can't believe no one has responded to this - I see that 'I'm nervous for my car test tomorrow' gets more hits. Sad.

Anyway - back to exciting hot topics such as this!

1) Either, seriously. Both have pros and cons. 8v supposedly a more reliable engine - I'm sure there are enthusiasts out there that will fill you in with every nook and cranny on this engine. 16v more powerful but has to be worked to get it. I'd imagine they are rare cars now, so finding a pristine example of either you should go for it.

2) It's an old car. Expect it. The less the better.

3) Of course. A VW show is hosted every year where thousands of parts can be obtained. The last one I recall was in Ipswich. Every VW nutter was there - including those obviously from Audi etc.

4) Really - can you do that? 16v will be more expensive.

5) Never owned one. Just admired them and licked my lips at endless stats of them.

Problem with having an old hatch that is powerful is that it will inevitably hurt you in the wallet for maintenance and repairs if doing a bit of mileage. VW parts have got to be more accessible and cheaper than Pug?

Anyway - when you do get one - pics please.
Reply 2
From what I've read, the 8v has more torque and grunt, so you get that wonderful growl when you put your foot down when cruising near idle, but the 16v kicks out more power higher up the rev range, so it's ultimately more powerful, but you have the push the engine further to get it. Maybe one of the reasons behind the better reliability from the 8v block. Personally my driving style suits torque over power so I'd go for the 8v, but it's down to how you drive, and as with everything else, the possible extra costs of one over the other.

I've a mk3 Golf and I'm very happy with it. Build quality is fantastic and parts are pretty cheap, along with easy maintenance. The mk2 is still very well supported as far as I'm aware, and should be subject to the same build quality as the mk3, but in a lighter and better handling body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending