The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why is the NBA structure so weird as someone who only recently got into watching basketball (olympics) I'd always presumed the NBA was like most sports league where every team plays eachother once at home and once away. But it looks weird
Reply 21
I wouldnt worry about all the details of it I dont just know each team plays 82 games and most of those (52) are against teams from the same conference (East or West) and the rest are against the other conference (30)

So a team in the West would play 52 games against other teams from the West - I know its 4 times each against the teams in your subdivision which equals 16 games but I dunno how the rest breaks down and they play each team from the East twice for the 30
Reply 22
I really want D-Rose to be healthy and get the title back to the Chicago. It's long overdue.

That or see Kobe get another ring.

Any D12 drama, Ima have to call Obama to do something about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Aren't injuries like rose's usually associated with a year long layoff so he will be out till May time ? They may as well tank the year and take it slow with him and let deng chill and have his surgery and get a lottery pick to pair with Rose IMO
Perkins is a proven Dwight-stopper. So against OKC, Lakers should play Gasol at the 5 and play pick and roll with Howard at the 4. Gasol is too skilled for Perkins to contain.
Reply 25
Original post by Ridingmyego
Perkins is a proven Dwight-stopper. So against OKC, Lakers should play Gasol at the 5 and play pick and roll with Howard at the 4. Gasol is too skilled for Perkins to contain.

I agree Nash will get what he wants in the pick and roll vs Perk, remembering how Parker was abusing him for a few games in the West finals this year

When theyre out there at the same time Perk will always try to guard Dwight though doesnt matter what Pau is doing. They will have to work switches and picks to get Perk off of him
Original post by alexsong
I agree Nash will get what he wants in the pick and roll vs Perk, remembering how Parker was abusing him for a few games in the West finals this year

When theyre out there at the same time Perk will always try to guard Dwight though doesnt matter what Pau is doing. They will have to work switches and picks to get Perk off of him

Good point. I'm just asking out of curiosity, how good is perk at defending pick and roll? (I genuinely don't know).
Reply 27
Good point. I'm just asking out of curiosity, how good is perk at defending pick and roll? (I genuinely don't know).

Well he had a mare at the start of the Spurs series but calmed back down again for game 3 and the rest of it and generally I would say he is pretty good, some of the things Nash, Pau and Howard might be able to do could be another level though

It is funny because before everyone talked about the Thunder trying to get rid of perk so they could afford to keep Harden and Ibaka but now that Dwight is in the western conference most people are aknowleding him as a key player in a potential series
Well he had a mare at the start of the Spurs series but calmed back down again for game 3 and the rest of it and generally I would say he is pretty good, some of the things Nash, Pau and Howard might be able to do could be another level though

It is funny because before everyone talked about the Thunder trying to get rid of perk so they could afford to keep Harden and Ibaka but now that Dwight is in the western conference most people are aknowleding him as a key player in a potential series

Ohh I agree, Gasol+Howard>Duncan+Tiago splitter (no disrespect to Timmy). That frontcourt mixed with Nash is drool-worthy, once chemistry is established of course.

And would they rather keep Harden than Ibaka?
Reply 29
And would they rather keep Harden than Ibaka?

That is a really difficult question mate the case for Harden is that he looks like an elite 2 guard and that is a really scarce position in the league - if you start thinking of the best then you realise that firstly there aren't many and second that they are all pretty old (Kobe/Wade for example) but I would argue that with Durant and Westbrook they already have two great scorers and Ibaka gives them a presence and identity on the defensive end in the paint that would be harder to replace but who knows what Sam Presti and the Thunder executives are thinking they may well prefer Harden ?

Ideally you would keep both but theres been a lot of talk of Harden getting max contract offers and Ibaka will field big offers too because any half decent big can get paid in the NBA (Omer Asik, Javale McGee...) so it will be difficult to do unless you can convince them both to take less money which is unlikely I think
Reply 30
I think in today's NBA you keep Ibaka over Harden 10 times out of 10. Harden is a good talent, but you can pick up free agents to cover up what you would lose if he walked... Ibaka was the first guy in 3 years to average over 3 Blocks per game (Which is a shame to see, just goes to show how wing-orientated the game has become) and has a much higher upside than Harden imo.

Although if Harden leaves they would definitely need to replace his scoring hole. That's one of their biggest weaknesses - outside of Westbrook, Harden and Durant they have 0 scorers. That would be even worse if Harden walked.

TBH I see them keeping both though.
That is a really difficult question mate the case for Harden is that he looks like an elite 2 guard and that is a really scarce position in the league - if you start thinking of the best then you realise that firstly there aren't many and second that they are all pretty old (Kobe/Wade for example) but I would argue that with Durant and Westbrook they already have two great scorers and Ibaka gives them a presence and identity on the defensive end in the paint that would be harder to replace but who knows what Sam Presti and the Thunder executives are thinking they may well prefer Harden ?

Ideally you would keep both but theres been a lot of talk of Harden getting max contract offers and Ibaka will field big offers too because any half decent big can get paid in the NBA (Omer Asik, Javale McGee...) so it will be difficult to do unless you can convince them both to take less money which is unlikely I think

I agree with both parts of what you said, Ibaka gives them an imposing defensive prescence whereas Harden gives them another scorer. It'll be tough to choose.

If they don't make it to the finals this year I can see one of them leaving, but if they do then they could end up taking less money (i think).
Reply 32
Aren't injuries like rose's usually associated with a year long layoff so he will be out till May time ? They may as well tank the year and take it slow with him and let deng chill and have his surgery and get a lottery pick to pair with Rose IMO

Oh that bad?

Might have to check it out.
Reply 33
I'd be sad to see either of Harden and Ibaka leave but I haven't seen enough of Harden to see how good he is tbh, hes struggled in most the games I've watched, especially in finals vs heat.

Ibaka is always solid and isn't a bad shooter tbh..
Reply 34
Original post by 419
Oh that bad?

Might have to check it out.

Just saw this coincidentally...says he is ahead of schedule but probably out till about Feb time

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/derrick-rose-interview-acl-injury-video-death-bulls-130603037--nba.html
Reply 35
I'd keep Ibaka. One of the best defenders in the league, decent rebounder and he's got in improving O, and those are things he adds to OKC (they've got noone else who could replace him). All they'd be losing if they lost Harden is a crazy efficient scorer, and while they'd struggle to find anyone as efficient they'd be able to find other good scorers who are cheaper in the FA (and they have Westbrook and Durant anyway).
Reply 36
Just saw this coincidentally...says he is ahead of schedule but probably out till about Feb time

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/derrick-rose-interview-acl-injury-video-death-bulls-130603037--nba.html

If he does, then the Bulls can probably get into the playoff around 6-8. Knicks made it with just over .500 last year right.

Might do them good to be given the undergo tag.
Reply 37
Original post by 419
If he does, then the Bulls can probably get into the playoff around 6-8. Knicks made it with just over .500 last year right.

Might do them good to be given the undergo tag.

Yeah as I said before I would be really tempted to just tank it and get a lottery pick if I was them but I really don't see Thibideau doing something like that and in the weak eastern conference you can get into the playoffs pretty easy like you said
Ray Allen joined the Heat. Hopefully, we'll see some of him during the season.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 39

Perks P&R defence has declined sharply imo. He has no mobility at all. If LA dump the ball down on the block, Perk will do a good job on Howard/Gasol. But to get to the OKC defence, I'd run out a Nash-Meeks-Kobe-Gasol-Dwight line up for extended periods, don't run many organised sets, let Nash have the ball and run multiple P&R's with Dwight, park Kobe on the weak wing, have Pau screening for Meeks, and then if the rotations don't come, Howard/Nash will score at will. If the rotations come, you're leaving Meeks open in the corner, Kobe open on the wing or Pau open in the mid range.

Latest