The Student Room Group

year 13 advice

I'm about to going year 13 this September, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to approach year 13. I do cs, fm and maths if that helps.
Reply 1
Hi! I did humanities, but everyone in my year agreed the jump from year 12 to 13 is a lot more intense than 11 to 12. One of the biggest recommendations and something almost all of us wished we did was making revision tools early- as we all left it very last minute. Find a technique that works and keep it going! You don’t have to revise daily until around 3 months before- this is what I did to avoid major burnout and it kept me going strong. I made sure to always take certain weekends off if I knew I wasn’t overdue with work or struggling with a specific topic and kept time to myself. I would come home at 3, revise till 6 then have another 3 hours to myself doing what I pleased. You do really tough topics, so none of this will probably be new to you- but just bare in mind it’s a fast intense jump and the work ethic increases a lot more as you only have a short amount of time to finish before revision season comes in. It really flies by. Try look ahead at topics if you can! (Though I know with your topics it’s not always possible- kudos on you for being able to study them!) But most of all, seriously prioritise yourself. Year 13 is so draining if you don’t take care of yourself, and you risk major burnout. You got this and good luck in your exams next year! :-)
Reply 2
Original post by mskr710
I'm about to going year 13 this September, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to approach year 13. I do cs, fm and maths if that helps.

hi, i didn't do your subjects so can't specifically help with them but my main advice would be to prioritise your time and plan ahead. so for example use a diary or a calendar and plan in revision time, homework, paid work, hobbies etc to avoid burning out. ask your teachers for help/do practice exam questions/ past papers. make flashcards/mindmaps/diagrams or whatever works best for you in advance (use this summer to check all your revision materials are ready for y13, check the spec to make sure you've covered everything) and look over them regularly. use the specification to make sure you are hitting everything you will be examined on. Good luck for your exams :smile: x
Original post by mskr710

Hi!

I did Maths and Further Maths and I would recommend keeping on top of the Maths content as best you can as it will help your further maths course if you have a good understanding of the maths content! I found practice questions the most useful resource for revising maths so going back through textbooks, in-class tests and pass exam questions are great. Other than that, as others have said, make sure to take breaks and have time for yourself! Year 13 can be intense at times but if you manage your time well, hopefully, it won't be too overwhelming!

Good luck!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest