The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Results Day and Beyond: The Official Unofficial Guide to Starting at Chester

First of all, hi, I'm Neil. I'm the Forum Assistant here meaning I clean up threads and so on, and am a random fountain of knowledge about the uni. I'm a mature student about to go into my third year studying Counselling Skills with English. Given I meant to start this a while back and I'm now doing it two nights before, there might be bits missing from here that get added later so keep checking.

Second, I cannot stress this enough-do not use this as your main source of contact with the university. The uni do have their own account here and are pretty frequent here, but any major enquiries I suggest getting in touch with the university directly by phone etc. If you don't get through straight away, keep trying.

So to business... Thank you for choosing Chester! It might not have been your first choice, it might not even have been your second choice, but somewhere along the line, you're here. Welcome! As you know by, we're a comparatively small uni with a few campuses in the area, but cover a wide variety of subjects, and depending on the subject depends on which campus you'll find yourself at-it is entirely possible to be on multiple sites. As rough guidelines though:
Riverside - Nursing, teaching, and child development courses
Kingsway - If its artistic, its probably based here.
Warrington -by now you'll know if you're based there or not, as you'll be living there most likely.
Reese Heath - Animal Sciences
Parkgate Road: Pretty much everything else.

Accommodation

The information here is accurate as far as I know. By now the majority of you should have received some kind of information pack about accommodation and the application process. If you haven't, contact the uni. If you have and you've applied and you haven't heard anything back yet, DO NOT PANIC. There are hundreds of students at the uni in exactly the same boat and it takes a while to get through all the applications and so on. If you haven't heard anything off the uni by the week beginning the 17th, then you might want to chance it and leave it a few more days, or you might want to consider chasing it up

Chester

Doing it Yourself

First of all, if you are within 30 miles (I think) of Chester, you will almost definitely NOT be provided with housing at the University, and will have to arrange your own. However as you would expect, there are numerous letting agents in and around the area. Prices range from about £250 to £350 a month and then bills either on top or included.

Abbey Rentals: http://www.abbeyrentals.co.uk/

Hoots: http://www.hoots.co.uk/

Chester Student Lets: http://www.chesterstudentlets.co.uk/

Abbeygate: http://www.freshstudentliving.co.uk/locations/abbeygate

I can't personally recommend one or another, however I will say that the first three are generic student housing, Abbeygate on the other hand is a bit more plush and I think every apartment includes a kitchen and an en-suite bathroom. I think your bills are also included, which means investing in a heater can come in handy.

There are also a lot of independent local landlords around Chester, and its worth the visit to see what's available.

If however, you want to try the total independence straight away and are further than 30 miles away, more information can be found here:
http://www.chester.ac.uk/campus-life/accommodation/chester/self-catered

Fully Catered
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included, and you are required to leave your room over Easter and Christmas. All rooms have internet and phone access (I think), and are either on campus, or two minutes away. All rooms are singles, and all prices are per week.
http://www.chester.ac.uk/campus-life/chester-accommodation/full-board

Semi Catered
Lunch and evening meals are included Monday-Friday during term time, and unlike fully-catered, you are allowed to remain in your room over Easter and Christmas.All rooms have internet access, and are between two and ten minutes from campus. Most rooms are singles, and prices are per week.
http://www.chester.ac.uk/campus-life/accommodation/chester/semi-catered

Warrington

I'd like to apologise for the lack of information I have on Warrington Campus due to not being a student there. However I'm working on this :P

Semi-Catered
http://www.chester.ac.uk/campus-life/accommodation/warrington/semi-catered

Self-Catered
http://www.chester.ac.uk/campus-life/accommodation/warrington/self-catered

Ok for anyone else who views this, this is a work in progress and I am updating it as much as I possibly can. I'm also just a student and doing this off my own back, so the information here should be fairly accurate but please don;t quote it as Gospel. Ta!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reserved for Chestery information
(edited 11 years ago)
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
So you want to join a society...

Joining societies and clubs are a great way of making new friends, trying something new, and representing your uni.
Sometime during the first week (its usually the Friday), in the sports hall all the societies will be there with a stand, and its our job to sell our society to you. There's some demonstrations in the middle of the hall, and you meander around and see what we have to offer. You chat to the people in the societies, and if you fancy giving it a try, they'll tell you when and where the taster sessions are taking place. Everyone is entitled to two free taster sessions of each society, so if you can't make the first one, you'll probably be able to make the second one. After your two taster sessions, if you want to join the society, you have to pay a fee which varies from club to club depending on the random bits of equipment it needs to participate and insurance costs. To put it into perspective, last year the Roleplay society costs around £2.00, Archery cost £30, and Rowing cost £125. Incidentally, Rowing is so expensive as it gives you full access to Chester Rowing club itself including their gym, but they'll explain all that when you meet them.
Some of the sports teams compete with other unis, others do not. There'll be social events, sports events, and the possibility of going on tour over Easter, so without further ado... Here's everything we do (as far as I know)...

Clubs
7 a side Football
American Football
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Basketball (Men's)
Basketball (Women's)
Cheerleading
Cricket
DTS
Equestrian
Fencing
Football (Men's)
Football (Women's)
Gaelic Football (Mens)
Gaelic Football (Womens)
Hockey (Men's)
Hockey (Women's)
Lacrosse
MMA
Mountaineering
Netball
Pool
Rowing
Rugby League
Rugby Union (Men's)
Rugby Union (Women's)
Snowsports
Squash
Swimming
Tae Kwon Do
Tennis
Trampolining
Ultimate Frisbee
Volleyball (Men's)
Volleyball (Women's)
Warrington 7 a side
Warrington Basketball
Warrington Football (Men's)
Warrington Football (Women's)
Warrington Hockey (Men's)
Warrington Hockey (Women's)
Warrington Mixed Martial Arts
Warrington Netball
Warrington Rugby League
Warrington Rugby Union
Warrington Volleyball
Waterpolo
Acting
Anime and Manga
Chester Enterprise Society
Chester Pride LGBT
Christian Union
Circus Magic Skills
Counselling (UCCS)
Criminology
Debating
Drama
Events
Film
Four Eyes Theatre Co
Geography Society
History and Archaeology
Labour Society
Literature Society
Maths
Multicultural Society
Nutrition
People, Planet and Amnesty
Pole Dancing
Politics Forum
Psychology Society
Push It
Rock Society
Roleplay
Table Tennis
Tap and Ballet
The Source
Video Gaming
Warrington Campus Chronicle
Warrington Centre Stage
Warrington Circus
Warrington Drama
Warrington International Society
Warrington Jujutsu
Warrington LGBT
Warrington Live Music
Warrington Performing Arts
Warrington Poker
Warrington Production Society
Warrington Self Defence
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Fresher's Week

For those of you who are unaware, Fresher's week is the first week of university for first years. They say that the friends you make during Fresher's week are the ones who'll be your friends all the way through university, and its pretty much true. A lot of this information you'll get sent out to you in a week or two, but based on previous years the week pans out something like this...

Sunday
This is when on the assumption you're living in halls you'll be moving in. You'll be meeting the people you'll be living with for the next 9 months or so, and getting yourself vaguely orientated. I think there's going to be people in bright red shirts who'll be able to help you if you get lost.
At some point in the afternoon there'll be a big "Welcome to the uni" speech by various members of the faculty, and the Dean of the University will introduce himself, who you will likely not see again until you graduate.
If you're a mature student, there'll also be a smaller more intimate meet and greet to meet other mature students and various faculty members. There's usually tea, coffee, soft drinks and so on.
In the evening you'll inevitably find your way into the Fresher's Welcome Party at CH1 (our student union, which you'll always end up referring to as the SU.) Bring a white tshirt and a marker pen, possibly try out a Bazzalad, because in Bazza we trust.

Monday
Monday is a pretty quiet day, at a time given to you in advance (depending on your surname), you'll do all the basic enrollment stuff, get shown how to use the computers and access your timetable and get it printed off (its free during your first week).
The evenings entertainment is Beans@Cruise. Student Beans is THE Monday night event every week. You're advised to pick up your tickets from the SU before six (for £2), then hang around for the kareoke in the evening till people head to Cruise

Tuesday
Today you'll meet your course leaders and some of your coursemates. Again its staggered by surname (especially if you're doing English-that studd made no sense when I did it), and your tutors will explain a bit more about how the course is set out.
At night there's a silent disco, something I've never actually experienced myself, but is meand to be really good (video link courtesy of the SU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYqXZU4CLs
Also on Tuesday should be the first Metal Pig and Gender Blender of the university year at Rosie's. Metal Pig is Chester's local rock night on the top floor (they do the most amazing Gas Chambers), and on the lower floor is the celebration of all things camp and curious, Gender Blender, our local gay night. Its very common after Metal Pig finishes for people to traipse downstairs afterwards to finish the night off at Blender. Its always a fantastic night.

Wednesday
The Fresher's Fair
Loads of local businesses fill the sports hall and let you know what they have on offer. Its a great way to pick up vouchers, free pens and stuff. The local Pizza Hut are there too with free pizza if you get there at the right time. I suggest that you get there early to pick up as much free stuff as possible-you'll really appreciate the vouchers when your loan starts petering out.
At night... GetOnIt present 'Welcome To The Jungle' at Rosies' Official Student Night!
GetOnIt are our local student promotions company, and if I recall, the majority of their staff are students and/or former students. They're very pro-student lifestyle, and organise Rosie's Student night, which invariably has some kind of theme. The first week's theme is Jungle, so go safari style and have a great time.

Thursday
The daytime is usually a repeat of Tuesday, but with other parts of your course (or if you're doing dual honors, your other subject).
In the evening there's a free beach party at the SU, so to quote the SU itself, 'bring your bikini/mankini and your board shorts and let's celebrate the Summer we never had, Miami style!'

Friday
As mentioned above, Friday is all about the clubs and societies. Seriously, come down and see all there is that we offer.
I'm going to be lazy and do another copypasta for this, as I simply cannot tout like our SU can:
***Friday 28th September - The LEGENDARY SU FRIDAY returns - Feat. King Charles Live + Support!***
SU Friday have a reputation like no other night in Chester, hard hitting music, brilliant DJ's, amazing drinks and the best in upcoming live music! This year we are starting of with a bang! Fresh of a European Festival tour and supporting the likes of Mumford and Sons, King Charles will be live in CH1 playing future hits Bam Bam, Lady Pearcey and The Brightest Lights (feat. Mumford and Sons)! We also have resident DJ's Beaver and Woodward to take you through the night. Freshers' is never Freshers' without a banging SU Friday! Doors 8pm, £5 entry.
Some of the uni societies also go for a bit of a bar crawl as their first social of the year-last year of note was when the Rock Soc got an entire street of people to serenade our Captain with 'Stacey's Mom'. Even if you're not a member, come along and meet the societies in a more casual environment where you're not being asked for contact details and a signature.

The Weekend!
This is all yours to do with what you will. Explore the city, go further afield, recover from the week. Check out the cafe on Garden Lane for a really good hangover curing breakfast. Don't bother hitting the town on a Saturday night though-its expensive and annoying. Get to know your housemates better and save some money

Beyond, your first full week begins...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Reserved for useful numbers
Reply 5
Hiya Neil, Do you know if we need to send certificates from our college Access course to Chester Uni?

Thank You

Claire
Original post by Clairejm
Hiya Neil, Do you know if we need to send certificates from our college Access course to Chester Uni?

Thank You

Claire

Yes, you'll need to send your original certificates to us at Undergraduate Admissions, University of Chester, Parkgate Road, Chester, CH1 4BJ. We recommend using recorded delivery. Once we have checked your results we'll send them back to you. Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by University of Chester
Yes, you'll need to send your original certificates to us at Undergraduate Admissions, University of Chester, Parkgate Road, Chester, CH1 4BJ. We recommend using recorded delivery. Once we have checked your results we'll send them back to you. Thanks

Thank you! Will anyone be at the Uni tomorrow for myself an my friend to bring the results we have at the minute over and explain why we have a problem getting the full results off the college?

I have spoke to admissions an explained what results we have an she said send it over recorded delivery, but we would rather come and hand them in ourselves as we know other people have done.
Original post by Clairejm

Thank you! Will anyone be at the Uni tomorrow for myself an my friend to bring the results we have at the minute over and explain why we have a problem getting the full results off the college?

I have spoke to admissions an explained what results we have an she said send it over recorded delivery, but we would rather come and hand them in ourselves as we know other people have done.

Yes, you can come in on Saturday between 9am and 4pm. Come to the main reception at Riverside Campus on Castle Drive and let the receptionist know that you are here to see admissions. Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Lil2wkd
So you want to join a society...

So no Quidditch society then.. Hmm :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Na-dia

You could always start one :^_^:
Reply 11
Original post by Pavan.R
You could always start one :^_^:

If there still isn't one than I will be the only one to join :biggrin: It would have to be named "outsider society" instead of quidditch then :dance:
Reply 12
Original post by Na-dia

Not yet, but people are working on it. There's been two meetings with the intent of starting one up, but a lot of the members were second years, and second years get a really tough time in the second half of the year so i don't know if anything further came of it.
Reply 13
I had a meeting a couple of weeks ago at the University and they said although I live within the 30Miles I may get accommodation because they're building new accommodation and because I had a disability claim, is that right?
Original post by ashlyn_x
I had a meeting a couple of weeks ago at the University and they said although I live within the 30Miles I may get accommodation because they're building new accommodation and because I had a disability claim, is that right?

There is a possibility, so once you receive your information about applying for accommodation in June please submit your accommodation application as per the instructions you are given. If you would like any additional information please email [email protected]
Reply 15
This thread is fantastic. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
How long after sending the application in for accommodation will i have to wait before hearing if I've got a place? Around what date should i expect an accommodation guarantee, so i can plan to start buying stuff in around then? Thanks!
Original post by ashlyn_x
How long after sending the application in for accommodation will i have to wait before hearing if I've got a place? Around what date should i expect an accommodation guarantee, so i can plan to start buying stuff in around then? Thanks!

Hi, it depends on the type of offer you have with us. If it is conditional, you'll hear by Early September. If it is unconditional, you'll hear by mid August. More details at our Accommodation pages.
Reply 18
Great page about freshers! Was worry about what was happening for it! Where abouts is the 'SU' ? Confused about that bit! And where abouts did you get that info from? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Markbone
Great page about freshers! Was worry about what was happening for it! Where abouts is the 'SU' ? Confused about that bit! And where abouts did you get that info from? :smile:

The info about the events of Fresher's Week is actually out of date as it was for Fresher's Week last year! They haven't released any of the information yet on what's happening, then it's been something similar for the past three years. Last year there was King Charles, the year before we had Rizzle Kicks, and he year before that I don't recall at all! As soon as there's any information though, I'll update it, it's usually early in August that we get the information. The SU is just the shorthand for the Student Union building, though normally people use it to refer to the bar there. You will no doubt get to now it very well as its possibly the cheapest drinks prices in Chester!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending