The Student Room Group

Good grades but rejected from firm - would really appreciate some advice

Hi - Got my results back today and got these results:
A* Maths
A* Physics
A Computer Science (one mark off an A* :frown:)
A is AS Further Maths
However, I completely flopped the STEP II (U - 15 marks lol) so got rejected by my firm Imperial. I'm sitting on my insurance, Queen Mary's, but I've heard a lot of bad things since I chose them as my insurance.
It looks like I have 3 options, take the best uni I can get through clearing, take a gap year and reapply or go to QM. Like I said, I'd rather not go to Queen Mary's (and I think I can find a better uni through clearing anyway) but I'd also prefer to move out asap.
I'd really appreciate some advice
Original post by kiliawawa
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths
However, I completely flopped the STEP II (U - 15 marks lol) so got rejected by my firm Imperial. I'm sitting on my insurance, Queen Mary's, but I've heard a lot of bad things since I chose them as my insurance.
It looks like I have 3 options, take the best uni I can get through clearing, take a gap year and reapply or go to QM. Like I said, I'd rather not go to Queen Mary's (and I think I can find a better uni through clearing anyway) but I'd also prefer to move out asap.

You've laid out your options perfectly. The only thing missing is which unis are in Clearing for the course you want to apply for. So do some searches and find out. With A*A*AA you shouldn't have any issue getting a place through Clearing - as long as you can find one you like.

Once you've done that, you're then in a better position to compare that particular course/uni combination with what you might reasonably be expect to get if took a gap year and re-applied. (You could also compare it to Queen Mary.)
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths

The difficuly you will face is that most top universities wont be in clearing. It depends on the subject you are looking at and your willingness to move outside of London. If you are looking at Maths and are prepared to travel look at the lokes of Exeter who are in clearing. Getting rejected for STEP is usual for the likes of Imperial and Cambridge.
Hello!

Congratulations on your grades!

It sounds like you have ironed out some clear options, which is great!

Be careful when listening to anecdotal advice about a university, because although these are valid and important to consider, I'm sure there are also people who have had good experiences that you perhaps haven't heard about.

Best of luck!
Scarlett
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths

There should be options in clearing for you, you can investigate these in the meantime.

Off the top of my head, Durham is in clearing (although I don't know if they require a full A level further maths), Exeter, Nottingham and I'm sure you could find more if you do a search.
Many unis will talk to you before you release your place from QM so you can see if you can get a verbal offer from them while you decide :smile:
Reply 5
Sorry - I completely forgot to mention that I'm applying for Computer Science, so imagine finding places at top unis through clearing is going to be especially difficult. Thanks for all of the advice, I think I'll wait and see if anything happens in clearing, and if not I'll start planning a gap year.
Sorry - I completely forgot to mention that I'm applying for Computer Science, so imagine finding places at top unis through clearing is going to be especially difficult. Thanks for all of the advice, I think I'll wait and see if anything happens in clearing, and if not I'll start planning a gap year.

You should be ringing around now for clearing vacancies not waiting as the best will have gone.
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths

Hi @kiliawawa

Find out which University's are in clearing and get ringing them up :smile: what fantastic results, massive congratulations :smile:

Sera

:facepalm: Sorry for some reason I totally read that as applying for maths. I think you are correct that comp sci will be harder since they are typically smaller courses. If there's nothing that you fancy in clearing then it sounds like a gap year is a good choice - you may even be able to get some kind of comp sci related job for a gap year if you are interested in that?
Reply 9
I suspect a year out would be advisable. It’s better to think through what you want, and you will have great options.

Congratulations on your grades.
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths

Hi @kiliawawa,

Congratulations! What fantastic results you have :smile: I would advise to get on the phone and start ringing universities that do interest you. It’s important to act promptly to secure a place! However you seem to have a clear plan B which is great, remember it’s important to do what’s right for you.

Perhaps University of Chester may be of interest to you?

We have a fantastic advisory team on hand from 8am-7pm today and Friday so give us a call! Here’s the link for more details: https://www1.chester.ac.uk/clearing

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
A* Maths
A* Physics
A is AS Further Maths

Hi @kiliawawa

Massive congratulations on your grades! Like other responses you've received above, I'll advise you find out other unis that are in clearing for your course and try ringing up to see what your chances are.

Sheffield Hallam University currently has Computer Science in clearing. You can give us a call on 0330 0024 6390 to chat to our team who will be able to guide you through the process and answer any questions you have.

You can also find out more about our Computer Science course here.

I hope you find this helpful and wish you all the best in your decision making.

Yemi,
Official Rep for Sheffield Hallam University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending