The Student Room Group

Exeter Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by bssjonny
My ukcat score was VR - 570, QR - 770, AR - 880 and DA - 680 so my average was 725.
How much likely is it that my vr score will not meet that subtest cut off?

Pretty unlikely, the VR sub section cut-off is usually the lowest out of the lot. It was 520 for 2012 I believe.
Original post by AngelaPerry
Oh, :/ I got a 630 average for UKCAT :/ . Where have all of you resitters applied?

some places: liverpool, lancaster,exeter,plymoth,southampton, brighton and sussex are all viable options. research into them though. some are risky.
Reply 182
Oh, :/ I got a 630 average for UKCAT :/ . Where have all of you resitters applied?

Hey, I got 640... :/ Liverpool and UEA perhaps?
Original post by Zobinho
Hey, I got 640... :/ Liverpool and UEA perhaps?

Ive got Liverpool , Lancaster, Exeter and Plymouth atm, but I'm going to try and change either plymouth or exeter (not sure whyich on might have a chance of having a lower threshold) to Southampton as they have a 625 cut off! Oh and WELL DONE we did fine, everyone else are just nerds.
I've PM'd a few people that asked so i'll just post what I said here:

Exeter is great, I love everything about it!

In terms of teaching we have a series of case units running from conception -> death and everything in between over the course of the year. Each of these case units lasts 2 weeks. We have PBL sessions 3 times over the fortnight in small groups of 6-8, around 8-10 horus of plenaries over the fortnight, one community placement in the fortnight and a JIGSAW sessions which discusses what you saw/experienced on the placement. We have two 3-hour life science sessions in the fortnight where you learn anatomy and physiology plus one clinical skills session every case unit. On top of that we are expected to do around 10-15 hours of directed self-learning in the spare time we have (it really varies how much time we have, some days i just have one hour of contact and others ill have 6-8). We are given case unit briefs at the start of each unit which set out what we are expected to learn and to what extent.

Exeter itself is a lovely city, it's not massive (being from manchester it's tiny for me!) but it has loads of great shops, nice places to chill out and a decent enough nightlife (we drink very hard here, my first night i was forced to drink 10 pints in 10 minutes by a second year so be warned!!).

St luke's campus is set apart from the main campus, all the PCMD buildings are located on campus or at the two hospital sites. There's the main PCMD building on campus with PBL work rooms and the life science resource centre, there's a general library next door with a range of medical textbooks and a large lecture theatre. Then there's the newer Wonford building which is down on the main hospital site, this has a lecture theatre, a dedicated medical library, a small LSRC and a really nice cafe but this building is mianly used by 3rd/4th years. On the smaller hospital site is where the clinical skills centre is, it has simulated wards, lots of practice dummies, a simulated resus area and lots of confusing corridors. The staff are all great as well, you'll love it.

All the buildings are between 5-15 minutes walk of Rowncroft/rowancroft mews which is where most of the medics live along with sports scientists and some people who got allocated here but study on main campus (streatham). Although the campus is small it has a really nice collegiate feel to it and everyone gets along, it can be a bit isolated from main campus but if you make the effort it's only a 20-25 minute walk away which is similar to other cities where campus and halls are separate.

In terms of societies there's tonnes of medic and non-medic related things, i've joined plenty of medical related things plus the boxing club which has training sessions on both St Luke's and Streatham.

I would seriously recommend Exeter, it's amazing. The course is amazing and i freaking love it here so much!

Any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 185

Im a resitter and i'm applying to exeter,liverpool,southampton and maybe bsms if not then plymouth
Confirmation email this morning!
Check your inbox! :biggrin:
Original post by Minerva McGonagall
Confirmation email this morning!
Check your inbox! :biggrin:

Likewise. :smile:
Reply 188
YAY! Acknowledgements from everywhere now :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 189
I haven't gotten an acknowledgement yet, although my UCAS was only sent off yesterday.
Original post by navarre
I haven't gotten an acknowledgement yet, although my UCAS was only sent off yesterday.

Mine came through after 4 days so I wouldnt worry about it.
Original post by navarre

I sent mine off over 2 weeks ago and only got the acknowledgement today :')
acknowledgement :awesome: good luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
I've applies to exeter this year, I'm a reapplicant after 4 rejections last year so 2nd time lucky :smile:

does anyone know if reapplicants/A*s at A level give an advantage - they say they use predicted grades so I'm assuming they do...?
Reply 194
Ok, I have asked before but I want to check my choices are wise before I send off my application tomorrow.

GCSEs: A*AAAABBD
AS: AABB (resiting some modules to get AAAA)
A2: AAA (predictions)
UKCAT: 655

I think my personal statement is good, although I guess it is hard to tell.

Do I stand a chance at Exeter? I have noticed on the stalking page all the UKCAT scores seem really high.

Mean average national UKCAT scores for 2012 are: VR 580, QR 656, AR 633 and DA 646. Total average score 2515. (629)

How does that compare with last year's average?
If it's higher, I presume Exeter's cut-off will be too...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by i'm the daddy!
Mean average national UKCAT scores for 2012 are: VR 580, QR 656, AR 633 and DA 646. Total average score 2515. (629)

How does that compare with last year's average?
If it's higher, I presume Exeter's cut-off will be too...

Seriously? That's a high average!? Well it sounds high at least, not sure what last years were

Original post by J1994D
Seriously? That's a high average!? Well it sounds high at least, not sure what last years were

Last year it was 619, I think. I guess we can expect a slight increase in the cutoff then.
Reply 198
Does everyone's acknowledgment email state the year of entry as '2013/14'? Getting paranoid that I accidentally clicked deferred entry xD

Reply 199
Original post by Frankiej
Does everyone's acknowledgment email state the year of entry as '2013/14'? Getting paranoid that I accidentally clicked deferred entry xD

Mine doesn't even state the year of entry at all, check your details on track it will say somewhere

Edit: scratch that, yeah it does?! Why the hell does it say that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending