The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
My tv licence expired in may 2014 as wasnt able to renew it because i wanted to stop watching tv as the contract with virgin was too expensive. I phoned virgin to cancel my tv contract and they asked me to pay 300 pounds cancellation fee which obviously i dinnt want to pay. But i stopped watching tv but didnt disconnect it with the virgin box

TV goon shows up and tells me that he is here to renew my tv licence .

He asked details like phone number name and address and NI Number and i gave him

Then i had a closer look at the form and to my surprise it was a scary prosecution agree something form and he asks me to sign it. I said well you came here to renew my licence then why do i need to sign it, he said its an offence and blah blah. I said wait a minute, let me call my elder brother and ask for advise and i called him but was speaking in my language so he wouldnt understand. I was talking to him in my kitchen and this goon suddenly hands over the copy of unsigned form to my wife and left.

I want to know will i face criminal prosecution i mean is there any way out by talking to them because i have never broken any law before, i am simply afraid to do it, I had tv licence for 5 years and always paid £145 upfront all the time, its only this time i messed up i guess.

can anything be done here because i dont want a criminal record on my name, i mean is their a way of paying the fine they ask for without having criminal record under my name?

Please help me
Original post by tee pee
Please help me

You only need a TV licence if you watch live TV. if you don't watch it anymore, go on their website and tell them so. I told them I only watch DVDs a year ago and haven't received letters or anything since.
Original post by tee pee
My tv licence expired in may 2014 as wasnt able to renew it because i wanted to stop watching tv as the contract with virgin was too expensive. I phoned virgin to cancel my tv contract and they asked me to pay 300 pounds cancellation fee which obviously i dinnt want to pay. But i stopped watching tv but didnt disconnect it with the virgin box

TV goon shows up and tells me that he is here to renew my tv licence .

He asked details like phone number name and address and NI Number and i gave him

Then i had a closer look at the form and to my surprise it was a scary prosecution agree something form and he asks me to sign it. I said well you came here to renew my licence then why do i need to sign it, he said its an offence and blah blah. I said wait a minute, let me call my elder brother and ask for advise and i called him but was speaking in my language so he wouldnt understand. I was talking to him in my kitchen and this goon suddenly hands over the copy of unsigned form to my wife and left.

I want to know will i face criminal prosecution i mean is there any way out by talking to them because i have never broken any law before, i am simply afraid to do it, I had tv licence for 5 years and always paid £145 upfront all the time, its only this time i messed up i guess.

can anything be done here because i dont want a criminal record on my name, i mean is their a way of paying the fine they ask for without having criminal record under my name?

Please help me

Why did you give him your details????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please help, My friend of 40 years does not use a computer and I have helped with TV people at his door and extremely unpleasant letters. I did manage to get him a break for a year or maybe 18 months, but it has started again. Since August (last month) he has had two letters.At 78 and a private person the second letter has arrived.
This guy does not have TV,I sometimes suggest he come up and watch mine but no. Anyway after 75? you get a letter I believe to say no TV license is required. So, why hassle an old man??
C.Ward
Reply 84
Original post by corrie Ward
Please help, My friend of 40 years does not use a computer and I have helped with TV people at his door and extremely unpleasant letters. I did manage to get him a break for a year or maybe 18 months, but it has started again. Since August (last month) he has had two letters.At 78 and a private person the second letter has arrived.
This guy does not have TV,I sometimes suggest he come up and watch mine but no. Anyway after 75? you get a letter I believe to say no TV license is required. So, why hassle an old man??
C.Ward

If he don't have a TV just let the TV licence people know and it should stop again. Or just bin the letters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Look, I'm half-way through torrenting Game of Thrones. Can't this nonsense wait?"
Reply 86
Original post by dave1982
i just let them in and gave them the information they wanted, they cautioned me and said there is a possibility i could get prosecuted etc etc i explained that i didnt have enough money due to recent hardships (i owed over 18 months) and he went on his way and a week later recieved a letter from them stating i wouldn't get prosecuted as long as it doesnt happen again. Imo just let them in and be reasonable and fair to them as they are just doing their job, i'm sure the decision of prosecution comes down to the info they write down, so if your funny with them or obstruct them i reckon it goes against you in the long run. I'm paying £5 a week now to catch up and be fully up to date.

But each to their own i suppose

dave :smile:

do not let anyone in your house. In fact, you shouldn't be opening the door to anyone. It's not safe and you have no idea who this stranger is. So what if he has a badge to show who he is - you don't know that it is real and you don't know that, even if it is, he isn't a thief/rapist/mugger on the side. This is how the boston stangler used to get into people's appartments!
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
Has anyone ever had any experience of a TV licensing goon come knocking on their student accomodation on university campus?
Does this ever happen and is it possible for them to enforce fines upon any students in halls who have a TV but not paying for a licence?

At our uni campus. Security will get them to leave because they know that the doorstepping people is wrong. Last year we had a TV but couldn't plug it in so just watched films on it. One of my housemates wasn't sure when the TV licensing people turned up and paid £145 for a TV licence none of us used. To be fair he could have got it almost all back if he'd rung them up but was lazy and lost it through his own fault but it's a big expense for no reason.
I was like 'wait they still do this?' Then saw the thread was years old. :awesome:

Tv licence doorstep muggers have been replaced with Asian Christian Church recruiters I believe.
Reply 89
This thread is ancient. If you have a problem with the licencing goons; please create a new thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending