The Student Room Group

What jobs did you do at uni if any

I'm starting uni in September and just wondering what I'll do work wise. Currently just become a supervisor/assistant manager in a Tesco I quite like it but not sure if I could transfer to a store near the uni and get the same role. I feel like it would be odd going back to doing a lower entry job for less money and doing less. Weirdly also i've also thought of getting an SIA license and being a bouncer though not sure how popular that would make me among fellow students and also i'd probably have to give up all my weekends...just that i've been in a few physical confrontations in my time like the other week i nearly got attacked at work lol. What kind of student jobs are there avaliable i know you can do like university tours and get paid for that etc.
Reply 1
Worked at KFC as a teenager, before/start of uni. Good pay, free food, fun coworkers, had so much fun serving customers but I also had to clean toilets, I saw some very crazy customers and my manager was horrible. I was there for like 3/4 months part time then left.
(edited 11 months ago)
If you get an SIA license aim to work in a control room, not on the doors - much better work, probably can find more social hours for it, and depending on the nature of the control room (if it's primarily an alarm receiving centre for example) and your employers, you may well be able to do bits of work while waiting for things to happen on a slow shift.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
If you get an SIA license aim to work in a control room, not on the doors - much better work, probably can find more social hours for it, and depending on the nature of the control room (if it's primarily an alarm receiving centre for example) and your employers, you may well be able to do bits of work while waiting for things to happen on a slow shift.

Thanks - how hard is it to get an SIA license as the government website made it seem ridiculously hard. They even mention metnal health on there and whilst i've never been sectioned or an inpatient i have been to hospittal and under doctors care before for depression.
Reply 4
Original post by albayati
Worked at KFC as a teenager, before/start of uni. Good pay, free food, fun coworkers, had so much fun serving customers but I also had to clean toilets, I saw some very crazy customers and my manager was horrible. I was there for like 3/4 months part time then left.

I'm on like a little over thirteen quid at the moment at tesco as a part time shift manager . if i went back to being a normal worker i'd be on like 11 and also i hate customers and dealing with people in general (mostly customers though!)

I worked for a commercial estate agent for the fried fish industry. (Basically we sold fish and chip shops)
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I worked for a commercial estate agent for the fried fish industry. (Basically we sold fish and chip shops)

XD
Original post by civicpride2506
Thanks - how hard is it to get an SIA license as the government website made it seem ridiculously hard. They even mention metnal health on there and whilst i've never been sectioned or an inpatient i have been to hospittal and under doctors care before for depression.

It's more expensive than hard...I did the CCTV course through my employer (they paid for that part) but I never bothered getting the license as we were in house and didn't require it and I didn't want to be out £300 or whatever for 6-8 weeks while they figured out the reimbursement (particularly as I was working part-time at the time so that was pretty significant at the time!). The courses themselves are probably a couple hundred too, although frankly you could probably guess your way through the multiple choice tests with just some common sense...

That aside, you can work in security with all kinds of occupational illnesses, although not all roles will be suitable for all people with different conditions. It's probably more for those who are going to be working with restraints and holds (e.g. in prisons and so on) to ensure there aren't any issues with them being in that position.
Reply 8
Just finishing my second year but have worked as a retail sales advisor at a museum, a tutor and also did a research internship over the summer, I am currently trying to organise my second internship for this summer. Alongside all this I have done a lot of online courses which have been referred to as 'internships' also and some work experience schemes. It's best to go for jobs with flexible hours and good pay, but it's also useful to aim for something that may be related to your degree, Good Luck with Uni and I hope you find something suitable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending