The Student Room Group

Am i cut out for a maths degree?

GCSE's 7A*s 3As
AS - 4A's (Maths bio chem german)

Got 84 in c1 and 85 in c2.

Planning to go to nottingham/newcastle/leeds/sheffield to do a maths degree.

If you were in my position what would you do? Don't think i'm really cut out for a Top University for maths when looking at my ums.
What would you do in my position teach yourself FM this year? I think it will make my other grades suffer, will i still have good job prospects with a first from one of these unis?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by poopnoddy
GCSE's 7A*s 3As

If you were in my position what would you do? Don't think i'm really cut out for a Top University for maths when looking at my ums.
What would you do in my position teach yourself FM this year? I think it will make my other grades suffer, will i still have good job prospects with a first from one of these unis?

No... sorry to be disheartening but for maths you should have got almost 100 in C1 and 95+ in C2 especially as you may well have to take STEP to study maths and that is difficult... no harm trying though
Reply 2
Those universities aren't top for maths, COWI is. And you wouldn't get into COWI anyway with those UMS. I got 91 in C2 and even I would have no hope at COWI maths. They are the biggest UMS nazis because the nature of maths makes it a subject that if you actually are brilliant at it you will get 100% or close at A level.
Reply 3
Original post by Podcaster
Those universities aren't top for maths, COWI is. And you wouldn't get into COWI anyway with those UMS. I got 91 in C2 and even I would have no hope at COWI maths. They are the biggest UMS nazis because the nature of maths makes it a subject that if you actually are brilliant at it you will get 100% or close at A level.

Actually, Warwick are known for their standard extremely high offer, which everyone who has been predicted a certain set of grades has a shot at, so it isn't impossible even if you don't get more than 90 in C1 and C2.

To OP, we can't tell you how you will perform where it really matters which is at A2. For the unis you're looking at, an A in maths is a must, however if you can get a B in further maths(especially if your school doesn't offer the subject), then it is likely you could get an ABB offer from most of those. Yes try further maths and see how it goes, without AS at least, you're chances are probably zero for a decent uni.
I hope I helped :smile:
Original post by natninja
No... sorry to be disheartening but for maths you should have got almost 100 in C1 and 95+ in C2 especially as you may well have to take STEP to study maths and that is difficult... no harm trying though

Proper rubbish especially as the universities the OP listed don't ask for STEP.

Original post by Podcaster

OP never said he planned on going to COWI but for future reference only Cambridge out of COWI will see UMS grades.

Yes you can OP. Putting Warwick as a choice will almost guarantee you an offer but it's a very hard one.
I was in your position after AS. Only did maths AS but got c1: 92, c2: 95, s1: 89. I thought "**** it, may as well apply." So I applied for Cambridge (lol), Warwick, Bath, Bristol and Durham. I put on my application that I was doing further maths in 1 year alongside A2 maths. I got rejected from Cambridge (surprise, surprise), rejected from Durham, offer from Warwick (A*A*A + 2 STEP), Bath (A*AA), Bristol (AAB - come from bad schools/poor family/area so a low offer). Ended up doing further maths in 1 year along with STEP, got into Warwick. Moral of the story: you can get into any of them.
I've got really inconsistant modules. Got 91/82/88 in C1-3 but totally bombed C4 with 63. (I sat AS at school and did A2 in year 12)

I got 86 in FP1, then 81 and 90 in S1 and S2.

And then I am kinda bad at M1(70) and D1(77).

Gonna take C4 and M1 again next year as well as M2, D2, FP2 and FP3.

Not sure what unis to apply to though. I'm thinking of doing Maths and/with Statistics.
Reply 7
So basically i shouldn't consider it if i'm not applying to the top Unis?

98,95,100,82. c1-4
98 - m1
85 - s1

got my a* and havn't even got into queens mate lol

reach for the stars champ! i wasn't allowed to study FM since i only got an A at gcse even after getting a high A in AS, you'll know yourself if you can do it or not so don't let anyone put you down! the only other piece of advice i can have is to have a strong back-up incase you don't turn up on the day.

ps nothing wrong with your UMS, few mates of mine would kill for that haha
Reply 9
I can still do a degree at a decent university like nottingham and if i get a first will i still be in a good position?

Reply 10
GCSE's 7A*s 3As

You're pretty well placed for an offer from any of the universities you've listed.
GCSE's 7A*s 3As

Your university choices are ok for your grades provided you can obtain an A in A level maths.

Every little maths you can learn before uni helps especially proofs and abstraction-these are the areas most first yrs struggle with initially. I would recommend doing further maths even if it's just in your free time (this doesn't meant proofs and abstraction are covered in A level f maths though).

If you choose your A2 modules carefully, you can still make an A grade. To get into a top uni these days for maths, you need to be able to handle STEP as well as aim for an A* in A level maths. The university you go to does not matter too much as a maths degree is still highly respected by most employers. Top unis give you a slight advantage but if you get a first from non-top unis you'll easily stand out of the pile.

All in all, only apply for maths if you really enjoy the subject because your love for the subject will no doubt be put to test at uni. Don't pursue a course purely for job prospects-do what you enjoy doing first and aim to be the best at it and then you'll have plenty of job prospects.

Good luck!

Reply 12
Don't worry about it op
Reply 13
Okay, well i do genuinely enjoy and have a passion for maths so i know i'll be able to come out with a good degree, which will hopefully give me decent prospectss

Reply 14
Anyone know any good websites apart from uni stats? That only has statistics on the maths and statistics course

I can still do a degree at a decent university like nottingham and if i get a first will i still be in a good position?

Indeed a first at say Brunel is more credible than a 2nd at Warwick. Check out the league tables for maths http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-mathematics. Your grades look very promising for an A so you will have a wide choice of unis (considering your other A2s are also good). But I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do maths at uni as long as you enjoy it :smile: Also look carefully at the course content because the maths courses are always slightly different :smile: LOL i see from your OP that your other grades are amazing as well it would never hurt to apply to one or two top unis as long as you have other unis with lower requirements :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
GCSE's 7A*s 3As

trust me for those universities you will be fine the only thing I would say is drop a subject and take up AS further maths at the minimum. Good luck
GCSE's 7A*s 3As

Personally i wouldn't advise you to do fm especially if your taking Bio and chem to A2. I agree that it could impact on your other grades. The majority of unis only ask for A level maths (fm can be a bonus as they sometimes lower the offer but from nxt year i think it will be the same).
Reply 18
Your Maths UMS is okay, most people applying for Maths will likely have higher. But it is possible you are just not that good at exams at a level. Have a look at step. You might be a gifted logician which would be great for uni Maths. As for job prospects, I have no idea where you'd get good job prospects and where you wouldn't

OP, don't worry you could apply to Oxbridge with those grades.

Quick Reply

Latest