The Student Room Group

How useful were your GCSE's? Poll!

This poll is closed

How useful were GCSE's in preparing you for A-levels?

GCSE's were important 27%
GCSE's were useful, but not totally necessary 36%
GCSE's weren't very useful38%
Total votes: 64
It's GCSE results tomorrow...

Having been there, done that, how useful were your GCSE's for preparing you for your A-Levels (and beyond)?.

Important, handy, or a bit of a waste of time?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I dont think they prepared me enough for my A levels, seriously I did well at GCSE with very little effort, so therefore went ahead to a levels having the same work ethic. I didnt fail but i got no A's either, which was dissapointing after my GCSE results.
GCSE's are important universities in particular look at GCSE's some courses like maths,medicine,engineering have gcse maths requirements of B,Aor A* and nearly all courses want a pass in English language so yes its important.
GCSEs were very important for my PGCE course. One of the government requirements is to have acquired grade C+ in English, Maths and Science. :smile:
--
(edited 5 years ago)
I would've been better prepared for my A levels if I had lived in the wild for a year rather than doing GCSEs, why were they such a big deal?
Reply 6
1 Year on, I'm so glad I did well in my GCSEs as I begin to apply to university. In particular, Oxford if you're thinking about it.
I think they are important because I worked hard for them and there wasn't a massive step up to A level because of it. I did have to work a fair amount more though for a levels.
I'm not sure how much they helped me with A-levels but I guess they helped me get into college to do my A-levels.

Posted from my Galaxy note
In my GCSEs I got 4 A*s and 6 As with almost no effort. The jump between GCSE to A-Level is MASSIVE! I wouldn't say they were helpful in preparing me for my A-Levels, even though I achieved 3As and one B in my AS year. But getting good GCSE grades is certainly an advantage when applying to university, as you have a broader choice of unis with higher grades.

Hope this helps :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
I did average at GCSE, I had potential to do well but I was such a lazy student. GCSE's do not prepare you well for A Levels im, I mean at GCSE you could get away with minimal revision and still get C & B's but not for A Levels because you can actually tell when someone hasn't revised just by looking at mocks/exam results.

GCSE's are only useful when applying for sixth form/college and universities.
They got me into college, which allowed me to do A Levels, with got me into uni. So quite important I'd say :smile:
loooool!!! Useful GCSEs? I didn't learn anything majorly important, so the only thing they were used for, was to get me into sixth form, but that shouldn't be a use should it? At least I don't think so.
Reply 13
Maths and science GCSEs are wildly different to A Levels but some of the essay writing from GCSE English/History has been of some help for A Level essay writing.
Reply 14
Pointless. They created a mindset that you could revise very little and still get a good grade, which unfortunately caused many students to do bad, or certainly not as well, at AS level. They should make GCSE's harder and less focused on memory, in order to prepare students for Alevel, and even university to some extent.
Reply 15
GCSE's are nothing. Should have took A-levels early...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Putch1
GCSE's are nothing. Should have took A-levels early...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Some unis won't count any a levels you took early as part of your offer, so I dont think that's a good idea :/

I got 4 A's at as but not great gcses, so I wish I had worked harder as it would have helped me a lot more getting into uni now, most unis for my course look at gcses more than AS results :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by TaraBelle
Some unis won't count any a levels you took early as part of your offer, so I dont think that's a good idea :/

I got 4 A's at as but not great gcses, so I wish I had worked harder as it would have helped me a lot more getting into uni now, most unis for my course look at gcses more than AS results :frown:

Eh strange. My course just looks at maths and English GCSE's. I feel like I have wasted a lot of time doing other GCSE subjects when I could start doing AS. (btw most uni's don't care when you start your a-levels, as long as you get good grades). Oxford and Cambridge do care.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Putch1
Eh strange. My course just looks at maths and English GCSE's. I feel like I have wasted a lot of time doing other GCSE subjects when I could start doing AS. (btw most uni's don't care when you start your a-levels, as long as you get good grades). Oxford and Cambridge do care.

I'm applying for medicine- so unfortunately most of mine do care :/ I was gonna do C1 for maths in year 11 but decided not to last minute because I wanted to focus on GCSE exams. I'm so glad I did that in the end because it was only later I found out that if I hadn't, there would have been essentially no point me taking AS maths as it wouldn't be counted, meaning I would have had to take another subject as well :/ But I guess it's down to individual cicumstances and courses, I'm just a bit miffed my teachers didn't bother telling me this was the case (in all fairness they might not have known) so using this to rant a bit haha, as I did my maths GCSE in year 9 then basically dossed for 2 years and found AS maths really hard :P

Quick Reply

Latest