The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Elwyn
They say 2012/2013 as this the academic year for 2012 entry. I don't think the 2013/2014 document has been released yet.

Oh okay. So does that mean last year's and this year's criteria is the same?
Reply 181
Original post by lala12
Oh okay. So does that mean last year's and this year's criteria is the same?

No, it doesn't, unfortunately.

They change the criteria depending on the applicants.
Original post by Tolstoy
I wonder what the cut-off will be; I think I remember the news saying our GCSE year was a hard one.

Our GCSE year was the last year results had risen, they fell the following year :redface: so it's unlikely to go down. But I think you're solid with 25. If anybody should worry its those with 23 or less, but even then the application has been sent so there's no use worrying.
Reply 183
Original post by AspiringGenius
Our GCSE year was the last year results had risen, they fell the following year :redface: so it's unlikely to go down. But I think you're solid with 25. If anybody should worry its those with 23 or less, but even then the application has been sent so there's no use worrying.

Good point, but unless they're the highest they've ever been, you're fine :P.

Say their cut-off is 25, do they accept people with 25? Or is it over 25?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tolstoy
Good point, but unless they're the highest they've ever been, you're fine :P.

Say their cut-off is 25, do they accept people with 25? Or is it over 25?

They would accept peoppe with 25 :smile: the GCSEs in our year were the highest ever, but that still besides the point. It won't increase above 25 and probably won't get above 24- Cardiff want to best applicants and they don't want to exclude some of the best candidates because they didn't get at least 7A*. Birmingham used to have a policy like that and it was absolutely ludicrous.
Reply 185
They would accept peoppe with 25 :smile: the GCSEs in our year were the highest ever, but that still besides the point. It won't increase above 25 and probably won't get above 24- Cardiff want to best applicants and they don't want to exclude some of the best candidates because they didn't get at least 7A*. Birmingham used to have a policy like that and it was absolutely ludicrous.

I've heard Birmingham was even more vicious this year; they told me not to apply. Or, at least, urged me not to. :frown:
Original post by Tolstoy
I've heard Birmingham was even more vicious this year; they told me not to apply. Or, at least, urged me not to. :frown:

Well you got 7A* at GCSE- did they include English maths and science? Otherwise it was the B in chemistry AS :redface:

Don't worry, I wasn't good enough for em either and I worked so hard :sad: to be honest, I think them being harsher on AS is more reasonable than being super harsh on GCSE. I don't meet their preferences this year but at least its fairer than being rejected because you don't have 8A* at GcSE.
Reply 187
Well you got 7A* at GCSE- did they include English maths and science? Otherwise it was the B in chemistry AS :redface:

Don't worry, I wasn't good enough for em either and I worked so hard :sad: to be honest, I think them being harsher on AS is more reasonable than being super harsh on GCSE. I don't meet their preferences this year but at least its fairer than being rejected because you don't have 8A* at GcSE.

It was probably the B, which was my college fault :frown:.

Oh well, I much prefer Cardiff, anyway.
Original post by Tolstoy
It was probably the B, which was my college fault :frown:.

Oh well, I much prefer Cardiff, anyway.

TO be honest, I prefer Birmingham. But applying there for me would be application suicide and cardiffs policy suits me better. The course is ok, the city is good. I couldn't find a reason not to apply, nor anywhere I would have a better chance statistically of getting in (and I already took two whimsical choices wi Kings and UCL so I couldn't justify a third crazy choice like Cambridge, Oxford etc).
Reply 189
TO be honest, I prefer Birmingham. But applying there for me would be application suicide and cardiffs policy suits me better. The course is ok, the city is good. I couldn't find a reason not to apply, nor anywhere I would have a better chance statistically of getting in (and I already took two whimsical choices wi Kings and UCL so I couldn't justify a third crazy choice like Cambridge, Oxford etc).

I really wanted to try for Oxford, even though my chances would have been so small that they were non existent, just so I wouldn't regret not doing so. However, I did not like the course, at all. So I'm glad with the choices I made. :smile:

I really like the city of Cardiff, and Wales in general.
Original post by Tolstoy
I really wanted to try for Oxford, even though my chances would have been so small that they were non existent, just so I wouldn't regret not doing so. However, I did not like the course, at all. So I'm glad with the choices I made. :smile:

Oxford was ook, but when I was touring around, the guide who was a student seemed so enthusiastic about using rats to study and pumping them with an assortment of different hormones to see what happened. I know I'm a vegetarian so may be a bit overtly sensitive to these things, but it was just too... Enjoyable if you know what I mean.

Plus my A*% was only 76% so I would have had to outperform on the BmAT- something I know now I am not capable off :tongue:
Reply 191
Oxford was ook, but when I was touring around, the guide who was a student seemed so enthusiastic about using rats to study and pumping them with an assortment of different hormones to see what happened. I know I'm a vegetarian so may be a bit overtly sensitive to these things, but it was just too... Enjoyable if you know what I mean.

Plus my A*% was only 76% so I would have had to outperform on the BmAT- something I know now I am not capable off :tongue:

I'm a vegan, so I know that feeling. I understand the medical animal testing is important, but the idea of students doing it, for no purpose, and enjoying it, makes me quite angry.

That would have put me off, and maybe made me get irritated at the guide.
Original post by Tolstoy
I'm a vegan, so I know that feeling. I understand the medical animal testing is important, but the idea of students doing it, for no purpose, and enjoying it, makes me quite angry.

When she said it I looked around at the rest of the people on my tour and they were all just set in a slightly awed manner. I sort of nervously asked "is it compulsory?" and she told me if I didn't like it then Oxford wasn't for me.

So... Oxford wasn't for me :h:

I really want to be a vegan but I don't want to irritate my parents- I'm waiting to I get to uni...nif...
Reply 193

So... Oxford wasn't for me :h:

Lot of respect for that! :smile:

It's outrageous; torturing animals under the illusion of intellectual advancement.

Cardiff doesn't do it, then, I assume/hope?
Original post by Tolstoy
Lot of respect for that! :smile:

It's outrageous; torturing animals under the illusion of intellectual advancement.

Cardiff doesn't do it, then, I assume/hope?

Well she seemed to believe it was a systemwise thing, although I imagine her insight into other courses is limited at best, delusional at worst, and other medical schools- including Cambridge- say nmothing about the matter so I can aasume A) they don't do it, or B) they aren't proud of it.

I don't see how pumping rats with steroids and hormones will help me understand human physiology. I may as well read a book on the matter.
Reply 195
Well she seemed to believe it was a systemwise thing, although I imagine her insight into other courses is limited at best, delusional at worst, and other medical schools- including Cambridge- say nmothing about the matter so I can aasume A) they don't do it, or B) they aren't proud of it.

I don't see how pumping rats with steroids and hormones will help me understand human physiology. I may as well read a book on the matter.

I hope they don't; or I will have to refuse on the day...

I'll do some more research on it.
Original post by Tolstoy

Hey, i was kinda in a similar situation to you, and i think you made the right decision, i think people make silly choices with the rationale of 'i might regret it later' which is an awful logical fallacy.

Original post by Tolstoy

Didn't know there were so many vegans or vegetarians on here. I also don't think this sounds particularly ethical, but it can't be complulsury, loads of stuff isn't.
Reply 197
Original post by Orinincandenza

Didn't know there were so many vegans or vegetarians on here. I also don't think this sounds particularly ethical, but it can't be complulsury, loads of stuff isn't.

I hope it isn't.

I wish they didn't do it.
Oh GOD I know the deadline has JUST passed but I really hope the admissions office try hurrying up to save me some anxiety :redface:

When are the earliest interview calls?
November?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 199
Original post by akansha_sinha
Oh GOD I know the deadline has JUST passed but I really hope the admissions office try hurrying up to save me some anxiety :redface:

When are the earliest interview calls?
November?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The deadline was 15th of October. I hope you got it in before then.

They start making them after November the 5th, when they get our UKCAT results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending