The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
Original post by UNITE Student Accommodation
xx

Hey, saw your post in another thread and was hoping you'd answer some questions:

1. Are there many LSE/UCL students in the emily bowes court accomodation in london?
2. If at some point I decide I want to move in with my friend, do I have to pay the rent for the rest of my 51 week tenancy?
3. I've heard that UNITE accommodations have a lot of hidden costs, e.g. administration fees at the end of each month etc. that are not part of the quote we get at the website, how true is this?
Original post by bmqib
Hey, saw your post in another thread and was hoping you'd answer some questions:

1. Are there many LSE/UCL students in the emily bowes court accomodation in london?
2. If at some point I decide I want to move in with my friend, do I have to pay the rent for the rest of my 51 week tenancy?
3. I've heard that UNITE accommodations have a lot of hidden costs, e.g. administration fees at the end of each month etc. that are not part of the quote we get at the website, how true is this?

Hi bmqib,

Thanks for your questions.

Students at Emily Bowes Court are from a number of universities across London, there are good transport links to LSE and UCL as well as London Met, University of Westminster and University of the Arts (amongst others), and so you’ll find a really diverse mix of students.

As the length of the contract at Emily Bowes Court is 51 weeks, you would be responsible for the rent for the duration of the tenancy. If you want to live with a friend, we can organise a group booking so you could live together at Emily Bowes.

With regards to hidden costs, all of our costs are explained in full and all utility bills, contents insurance and internet are included in your rent.

We offer payment plans allowing you to conveniently spread the cost of your rent throughout your tenancy and administration fees for setting up instalments may apply, depending on the payment plan selected, but these will always be specified at the point of booking.
If you choose to move rooms or want to change your instalment payment plan once you’ve confirmed your booking then you may incur a fee.

I hope this helps,

If you’d like any more info just drop me a message.

Frankie
Reply 4
:mad: hi. i am recently just moved in to unite accommodation. the one near north central London. and i have to say that i wasn't too happy with the service.

again. this does not apply to every court in london as i used to live in other court based in London as well, people there were just so nice and down to earth.

I have to warmed all the coming students who attempt to apply united accommodation. DON'T TRUST THE PICTURE ON THE WEBSITE. I absolutely felt cheated once I have saw the actual room. I booked the classic studio, and the picture just look way too good.. and looks big as well. but on the day I arrived, I was shocked... that everything is so compact. and I have to say they must have photo-shoot the picture or use fish lane. I mean.. yes, we shouldn't have trusted the internet, but if you were on the other side of the world then there's no way you can see the actual room, isn't it?

Therefore, I requested for the bigger room, and i think the company's policies are vary according to each private accommodation. I was being told that I can get the discount as a return student so I asked for it when I attempt to get a bigger room ( bigger room means more payment to do, then they told me there's no such thing and told me off).,

I have to say nowadays the large number of local students decide not to go to school because they can't afford it, so they aiming for international students. They just love ripping all the international student because they assume we are rich which is not, most of people came with the scholarship !.

anyway.. so they asked me to pay full amount of rent which I have no choice but accepted. after I made a payment, they once told me I needed to pay 50 quid extra for swapping the room. thus I asked if i can get refund if i don't plan to stay, they said i have to pay the whole rent because they lost the customer. (of course i still live here as i have no choice since I have paid half of the money).

what i'm trying to say is.. never trust internet, and this can't be a reasonable excuse for you to stop paying that extra 50 pound. the feeling is just so suck and bad.

If i ever stayed in this country in the future, I wouldn't recommend any students to stay with Unite Accommodation, unless you are rich and don't have to worry about money.
Original post by bonnieT
:mad: hi. i am recently just moved in to unite accommodation. the one near north central London. and i have to say that i wasn't too happy with the service.

again. this does not apply to every court in london as i used to live in other court based in London as well, people there were just so nice and down to earth.

I have to warmed all the coming students who attempt to apply united accommodation. DON'T TRUST THE PICTURE ON THE WEBSITE. I absolutely felt cheated once I have saw the actual room. I booked the classic studio, and the picture just look way too good.. and looks big as well. but on the day I arrived, I was shocked... that everything is so compact. and I have to say they must have photo-shoot the picture or use fish lane. I mean.. yes, we shouldn't have trusted the internet, but if you were on the other side of the world then there's no way you can see the actual room, isn't it?

Therefore, I requested for the bigger room, and i think the company's policies are vary according to each private accommodation. I was being told that I can get the discount as a return student so I asked for it when I attempt to get a bigger room ( bigger room means more payment to do, then they told me there's no such thing and told me off).,

I have to say nowadays the large number of local students decide not to go to school because they can't afford it, so they aiming for international students. They just love ripping all the international student because they assume we are rich which is not, most of people came with the scholarship !.

anyway.. so they asked me to pay full amount of rent which I have no choice but accepted. after I made a payment, they once told me I needed to pay 50 quid extra for swapping the room. thus I asked if i can get refund if i don't plan to stay, they said i have to pay the whole rent because they lost the customer. (of course i still live here as i have no choice since I have paid half of the money).

what i'm trying to say is.. never trust internet, and this can't be a reasonable excuse for you to stop paying that extra 50 pound. the feeling is just so suck and bad.

If i ever stayed in this country in the future, I wouldn't recommend any students to stay with Unite Accommodation, unless you are rich and don't have to worry about money.

Hi bonnieT,

My names Frankie, I work for UNITE, I'm here on TSR offer help and advice to students on all aspects of living with UNITE.

I noticed your post and thought I’d join the conversation.

I'm sorry to hear you weren’t happy with the service you received. That certainly isn’t our intention.

If there is anything I can look into for you just send me a PM with your UNITE ID or full name and DOB and I’d be happy to help.

Thanks,

Frankie
Reply 6
You could give him a refund

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bonnieT

Hi there, I just came across your thread and am quite shocked ! how awful it must have been, goodness me!

Actually, I`m an overseas student, so I applied for accommodation at my uni 3 months ago - unfortunately they told me they rejected all of my applications. Therefore I had to look through UNITE`s webpage which seemed very convincing to me. However, I`m glad you posted your experiences since it put me off immediately. Where did you get in? Do you have any experiences with Emily Bows Court? I`m extremely under time pressure now for my course starts in 3 weeks and I still haven`t got a place to live. I`d much appreciate your opinion

thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I also live in unite wellington lodge, the heating system stopped working on dec 13th and it has been 12 days they did not fix it or provide a date when it will start working again. they left for christmas vacation and left us to freeze.
I lived with Unite in north London.

Bloody awful. I would never pay for their over priced rooms and appalling customer service ever again. I would never recommend them either.
Hi bonnieT,

My names Frankie, I work for UNITE, I'm here on TSR offer help and advice to students on all aspects of living with UNITE.

I noticed your post and thought I’d join the conversation.

I'm sorry to hear you weren’t happy with the service you received. That certainly isn’t our intention.

If there is anything I can look into for you just send me a PM with your UNITE ID or full name and DOB and I’d be happy to help.

Thanks,

Frankie

If you're falsely advertising the size of your rooms then you could get into legal trouble. Stop this immediately.
Hi bmqib,

Thanks for your questions.

Students at Emily Bowes Court are from a number of universities across London, there are good transport links to LSE and UCL as well as London Met, University of Westminster and University of the Arts (amongst others), and so you’ll find a really diverse mix of students.

As the length of the contract at Emily Bowes Court is 51 weeks, you would be responsible for the rent for the duration of the tenancy. If you want to live with a friend, we can organise a group booking so you could live together at Emily Bowes.

With regards to hidden costs, all of our costs are explained in full and all utility bills, contents insurance and internet are included in your rent.

We offer payment plans allowing you to conveniently spread the cost of your rent throughout your tenancy and administration fees for setting up instalments may apply, depending on the payment plan selected, but these will always be specified at the point of booking.
If you choose to move rooms or want to change your instalment payment plan once you’ve confirmed your booking then you may incur a fee.

I hope this helps,

If you’d like any more info just drop me a message.

Frankie

Choosing instalment payment means the accommodation fees in total would be higher, is it true? How much higher it would be and what it depends on? Thank you.
Do not do Unite!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jennysl04
Do not do Unite!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Jenny, why do you advise against unite?
Reply 14
I lived in the birmingham one for a year and it was horrifically awful. The rooms themselves are okay, but the security and company as a whole are awful.
We've had mice, fly infestation, break ins, flats trashed, corridors ceiling tiles with electrics ripped down from the ceiling, the main front 'security' gates wide open for almost a month cos someone drove into them and they didnt want to pay out to fix it, so left it wide open so anyone can wander in. The washer/dryers destroy your clothes and you have to pay loads for one wash. I pay an extortionate 121 a week to live there and I chose it mainly because it said 24/7 security across all sites. It's a complete lie, any time you dont feel safe or try to complain or report an issue they shun it off and never actually do anything. Anytime I've complained and security have turned up they've not even been bothered about it and seemed annoyed to even be there dealing with your issue.

I cant stress how excited I am to move out of this place. The security is the main thing. So so awful. Would not recommend anyone to live here.
Original post by Snelly09
I lived in the birmingham one for a year and it was horrifically awful. The rooms themselves are okay, but the security and company as a whole are awful.
We've had mice, fly infestation, break ins, flats trashed, corridors ceiling tiles with electrics ripped down from the ceiling, the main front 'security' gates wide open for almost a month cos someone drove into them and they didnt want to pay out to fix it, so left it wide open so anyone can wander in. The washer/dryers destroy your clothes and you have to pay loads for one wash. I pay an extortionate 121 a week to live there and I chose it mainly because it said 24/7 security across all sites. It's a complete lie, any time you dont feel safe or try to complain or report an issue they shun it off and never actually do anything. Anytime I've complained and security have turned up they've not even been bothered about it and seemed annoyed to even be there dealing with your issue.

I cant stress how excited I am to move out of this place. The security is the main thing. So so awful. Would not recommend anyone to live here.

Snelly do you have to pay for laundry? Surely it's included as the water and electricity bills are included in the rent?
Reply 16
Unite I can honestly say is the most horrific company you could go with and I don't want others to make the same mistake I did. DO NOT go with them. They are a company that is going to end up in very hot water, they believe as we are students that we are worthless how they speak to us over the phone/emails shows this. I had no problem with my room just the comapnay its self, they just want you're money and don't expect you're deposit back. I paid my rent over the phone I didn't sent up a direct debit yet one month they attempted to take a direct debit and instead of taking it from me or my guarantor they took it from the card details of who paid my deposit who was my aunite they are not allowed to do this when I phoned they lied and said there was no mistake and nothing I could do yet a charge back was made. They suggested I pay the person who they had took the money from, which I did to only find out that they claim they paid her back. Now they are saying i still owe them money! The people that work on the phones are very rude, have hung on me and my dad when calling regarding the matter there is no way of contacting their accounts team, yet they are more then happy to take our money. Do not bother with this company!!
They charged me £185pw for a room, then reduced the cost by £35pw and refused to change my costs as I have signed a contract. Thieves. DO NOT rent a room with Unite Students.This is before moving in. Having read some awful reviews online, I am absolutely dreading it now. BIG mistake.
I lived in emily bowes court for two years and this year I'm living in north lodge. My first year living there was nice, but second was really bad. My room was cold for the whole winter and after they fixed it, it was too hot. And the temperatures in the room during summer were unbearable. When the lifts broke, we waited over a month for them to be repaired, i had a mouse in my flat and sent thousands of emails before pest control came, then ant infestation in the kitchen that got bad, so they told me I can stay with ants or move out earlier to north lodge, which is much cheaper, while still paying for ebc. In the corridor, we didn't have some ceiling tiles, the laundry is also really expensive. If anyone reported any problems to security, if there was any, or at the reception after their working hours, they didn't pay attention and told you to come the next day. Wifi sometimes worked really well, but sometimes you barely have any service. What's annoying, there isn't any air conditioning in the bathroom, so after taking shower, it's stuffy and humid in the room and bathroom
hi, just wondering how's north lodge? because I'm really confused on whether to stay at, KCL student accommodation, great drover's street (GDS) apartments or apply for north lodge? since I'm REALLY not fond of the wet room at GDS? my deadline to terminate the contract, if i do, for GDS is in a couple of days so i really would like some help since I'm so indecisive and live outside of London so idk much xxx
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending