The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Fake reviews for Cardiff Private Accommodation

I'm posting this as lots of students are looking for accommodation in Cardiff right now.Please be careful when reading accommodation reviews, especially private halls. Me and my friends are about to graduate and have experienced first hand how deceptive the reviews can be.I'm reposting my experience with a certain accommodation and how they hide negative reviews and persuade students into giving 5-star reviews here (reddit link).

A few days ago we were offered beer in exchange for reviews on studentcrowd. They always provide incentives for favourable reviews. Me and a friend had some issues with the accommodation last year and left a 2-star and 3-star review. We weren't rude or breaking any ToS, we even praised the staff and out reviews got taken down. Same thing happened with a third student.As a guide, if there are lots of 5-star reviews on Google Maps with professional quality photos and long reviews praising the accommodation, the students had an incentive to post them. I know because we were offered too.

In my accommodation, I complained about a malfunctional oven and a broken light a year ago and they haven't been fixed. The water fails 2-3 times a year and the heating almost always doesn't work during the coldest months (happened 3 years in a row). This winter, I had to wear my jacket indoors while it was -5 degrees outside and as I had no water, I had to use nearby shops for toilet. This was unacceptable for an accommodation that charges 210 pounds per week and yet no review mentions that because they remove them.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending