The Student Room Group

is learning how to drive difficult to anyone?

Hiya :smile: I've just started learning how to drive.. well, I've had about 7 lessons by now and I'm kinda finding driving really difficult :/ I was just wondering, is it normal or does everyone just fly through it? I can't really tell because neither of my parents drive, and if I'm ever in a car, I sit at the back so can't really pay as much attention to everything :/ Any advice on how to improve will be really appreciated because I really want to pass it, my parents spent a lot of money on it :s-smilie: Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's difficult for everyone at first, and we all learn at different rates. You'll get there eventually. There are some people who are flat out incapable of driving half-way decently but those are few and far between.. I doubt you're one of them.

I had trouble wrapping my head around managing gears and the clutch but eventually it becomes second nature. I still can't parallel park even if my life depended on it but that's down to lack of practice, I avoid it wherever possible so that doesn't help matters. Now I would call myself a pretty good driver, but I still have a fair amount to learn.

Practice makes perfect as with most things in life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Flibble22
I think it's difficult for everyone at first, and we all learn at different rates. You'll get there eventually. There are some people who are flat out incapable of driving half-way decently but those are few and far between.. I doubt you're one of them.

I had trouble wrapping my head around managing gears and the clutch but eventually it becomes second nature. I still can't parallel park even if my life depended on it but that's down to lack of practice, I avoid it wherever possible so that doesn't help matters. Now I would call myself a pretty good driver, but I still have a fair amount to learn.

Practice makes perfect as with most things in life.

i see :smile: that helps a lot, thank you :biggrin: it's just the first time i'm finding something difficult so it's really affecting my confidence, and then i get all paniked up about it, you know? but i hope you're right, with it getting better with practice :smile: thank you again :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by aliyah1994
Hiya :smile: I've just started learning how to drive.. well, I've had about 7 lessons by now and I'm kinda finding driving really difficult :/ I was just wondering, is it normal or does everyone just fly through it? I can't really tell because neither of my parents drive, and if I'm ever in a car, I sit at the back so can't really pay as much attention to everything :/ Any advice on how to improve will be really appreciated because I really want to pass it, my parents spent a lot of money on it :s-smilie: Thank you :smile:

I think everyone finds it difficult at first. I started in December and I still fail at doing roundabouts xD. I hated driving when I started it since I was forced to learn it, but now I'm enjoying it. It took me like 2-3 months to get comfortable and confident with driving because I get nervous really quickly. It's kinda hard to give you tips but just don't forget the basics and don't get intimidated by other drivers since they were also once learners. :tongue:
I found it difficult and then one lesson it all just kind of clicked into place and driving felt very natural. You'll get there, don't worry :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by TLK
I think everyone finds it difficult at first. I started in December and I still fail at doing roundabouts xD. I hated driving when I started it since I was forced to learn it, but now I'm enjoying it. It took me like 2-3 months to get comfortable and confident with driving because I get nervous really quickly. It's kinda hard to give you tips but just don't forget the basics and don't get intimidated by other drivers since they were also once learners. :tongue:

oh you have no idea how much i hate roundabouts xD i know, i'm kinda forced to learn it as well :s-smilie: but i feel a bit better knowing everyone finds it a little difficult.. awww thank you :biggrin: some of the drivers i see on the road kinda take advantage though.. like, they just go infront of me when it's my turn, it puts me off even more :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I found it difficult and then one lesson it all just kind of clicked into place and driving felt very natural. You'll get there, don't worry :smile:

awwww really? that makes me feel loads better ^_^ i have one question.. what's your instructor like, does he/she tell you straight forward that you're going wrong? because some of my friends told me theirs didn't actually tell them they were going wrong, they just said it indirectly, you know?
awwww really? that makes me feel loads better ^_^ i have one question.. what's your instructor like, does he/she tell you straight forward that you're going wrong? because some of my friends told me theirs didn't actually tell them they were going wrong, they just said it indirectly, you know?

Yeah honestly, you'll be fine. How many hours have you done?

My instructor is lovely, she's very understanding. I suffer from anxiety so find new situations stressful and she's very calm and patient with me. But she will always tell me if I do something wrong, not to criticise me but just to let me know what I should do instead to make me a safer driver.

I originally had lessons with a different instructor and he was horrible, he would shout at me for getting things wrong and make comments like "that was pretty stupid of you, wasn't it?" which I found really unhelpful and made me more nervous. I switched to my current instructor after a few lessons and I'm much happier now :smile:
Reply 8
Some people find it easy, some people find it difficult.

Don't listen to the idiots who claim they got behind the wheel for the first time and were a complete natural. If they were, they were just being irresponsible and not treating it with enough respect and caution.

It DOES get easy quickly though!
Reply 9
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Yeah honestly, you'll be fine. How many hours have you done?

My instructor is lovely, she's very understanding. I suffer from anxiety so find new situations stressful and she's very calm and patient with me. But she will always tell me if I do something wrong, not to criticise me but just to let me know what I should do instead to make me a safer driver.

I originally had lessons with a different instructor and he was horrible, he would shout at me for getting things wrong and make comments like "that was pretty stupid of you, wasn't it?" which I found really unhelpful and made me more nervous. I switched to my current instructor after a few lessons and I'm much happier now :smile:

thank you :smile: i've done like... 12 hours i think :/

awwwww thats great :biggrin: how long have you been driving?

no way :O my instructor's kinda like that, but not as much... he just keeps saying that im not listening to him, but i actually am.. its just that he doesnt explain things clearly. so when i ask him what he means, he says the same thing only louder x( wow, thats great then :biggrin: are they both from the same company as well?
Reply 10
Original post by Ryan_94
Some people find it easy, some people find it difficult.

Don't listen to the idiots who claim they got behind the wheel for the first time and were a complete natural. If they were, they were just being irresponsible and not treating it with enough respect and caution.

It DOES get easy quickly though!

hahahaha sure.. quite a few of my friends say they found it natural, i just assumed their parents told them somethings about driving before they learned it :/

awww i hope i find it easy soon too :s-smilie:
Like everyone else said, it's easy for some, harder for others. But you'll get there eventually. And if it takes you longer to learn than your friends or family, don't worry about that. it doesn't mean you're inferior; no one will care once you know how to drive anyway.

It took me almost two years and probably 100+ lessons to learn how to drive. I always felt stupid because I knew people who passed with fewer lessons (and the national average is 27 or something) and passed first time. But it doesn't bother me now, because I've passed my test and can drive just as well as all those people who had much fewer lessons. And as my instructor would say, everyone can learn to drive. There is no one out there who will never be able to do it.
Reply 12
I am currently having lessons at www.drivingfactorlessons.co.uk . At first I found it really difficult because I had no experience at all but now I am starting getting used to it.
Reply 13
Original post by Robin Scherbatsky
Like everyone else said, it's easy for some, harder for others. But you'll get there eventually. And if it takes you longer to learn than your friends or family, don't worry about that. it doesn't mean you're inferior; no one will care once you know how to drive anyway.

It took me almost two years and probably 100+ lessons to learn how to drive. I always felt stupid because I knew people who passed with fewer lessons (and the national average is 27 or something) and passed first time. But it doesn't bother me now, because I've passed my test and can drive just as well as all those people who had much fewer lessons. And as my instructor would say, everyone can learn to drive. There is no one out there who will never be able to do it.

awwwww thats great :biggrin: yeah you're right.. i'll try not to worry about it too much, that just makes it worse :smile: thank you for your help, it made me feel soooooooo much better :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by BeckySmith
I am currently having lessons at www.drivingfactorlessons.co.uk . At first I found it really difficult because I had no experience at all but now I am starting getting used to it.

oh thats cool :smile: how many hours have you had now? :smile:
Ive started my driving lessons i previously had taken 15 hours of driving lessons but didnt really learn anything with the instructor. Some years later i am now starting again, i do get nervous especially when its on busy roads/turning etc. I just tell myself like with anything else practice makes perfect.
Reply 16
Original post by Chicken Hulk
Ive started my driving lessons i previously had taken 15 hours of driving lessons but didnt really learn anything with the instructor. Some years later i am now starting again, i do get nervous especially when its on busy roads/turning etc. I just tell myself like with anything else practice makes perfect.

why, was the instructor awful? :frown: yeah i get nervous too, specially on roundabouts and then it messes everything else up x( yeah, thats true :smile:
Not everyone flies through it. I've been learning since January (had about 30 lessons) luckily I'm just about ready for my test and have booked it for a couple of weeks :s-smilie: everyone takes to it differently. I have a lot of friends who passed in under 15 lessons but this was because they were practising inbetween in their parents cars. I don't have the option to do that as Im not insured and there is no way my parents would trust me! I particulary find roundabouts and dropping down gears ready to turn corners especially difficult as I end up stalling/getting confused with lanes but I've been getting better at it :smile: just go at your own pace, don't compare yourself to others.
Reply 18

Hi, it really does depend on individuals. I, for instance, found learning to drive a nightmare. It took me seven years and five tests, mainly due to test day nerves! My friend took an intensive weeks course, starting on the Saturday and passing her test first time the next Friday.

These are two extremes of course and most people fall somewhere in the middle. Initially when you begin you are still using the part of the brain that thinks. Eventually after repetition you will have stored the movements and actions in the motor mechanical part of your brain and they will be automatic, freeing up your mind to concentrate on the road itself. It is often described as 'clicking into place'. Until this happens it can all feel pretty awkward and difficult. If you are a person who finds it easy generally to learn motor mechanical skills then its no hassle. Some people take longer before it becomes automatic to them. They used to say it took as many lessons as your age to get it right!

Good luck,

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Me! I suck at it. Supposed to sit my test in about 2 weeks, nowhere near ready. I liked driving when I started, now I'm just stressing about my test. I was hoping to pass it before I went away to uni but I don't think that's going to happen. Every time I drive I do something and my dad or my instructor will go "Oh! That's a fail." And frankly, it's getting on my nerves. I'd rather not sit my test than fail it. But don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm awful at keeping my brain focussed on everything at once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending