The Student Room Group

Engineering Applicants 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anybody going to the bath open day tomorrow?
Reply 61
Have Southampton upped their entry requirements to A*AA then, it looks like? Not happy about that at all...
Reply 62
Original post by Ryanzmw
Have Southampton upped their entry requirements to A*AA then, it looks like? Not happy about that at all...

yeah they changed it :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Aerospace Engineering MEng/BEng(Hons) at Kingston entry requirements

BEng- BBC

MEng- ABB

Its ranked 33 for mechanical engineering! Im tempted to apply is it good?
Reply 64
What kind of work experience can I look into doing for mechanical engineering/aerospace engineering? I'm currently sitting my AS Levels and can't seem to find anywhere where I can spend a couple of weeks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 65
Original post by Naadirah21
What kind of work experience can I look into doing for mechanical engineering/aerospace engineering? I'm currently sitting my AS Levels and can't seem to find anywhere where I can spend a couple of weeks!

same here but im doing my A2's...i heard from someone that Rolls Royce take on people who are 16+ for work experience

http://www.rolls-royce.com/careers

The only problem is i live far from bristol so i cant go because it will be quite expensive for me so i will have to have some sort of accomodation if i go to bristol for the work experience probably stay in a B&B
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
I have applied for Work experience at Rolls-Royce for a week in bristol :biggrin: hopefully they take me on
Reply 67
Original post by Ryanzmw

Original post by a10
yeah they changed it :s-smilie:

Is it still worth applying with AAA, or is it impossible really?
Reply 68
Original post by Ryanzmw
Is it still worth applying with AAA, or is it impossible really?

the A* grade is hard to achieve it would be better if we could apply for Uni after March when we get our January exams results at least then we would have a better picture of what we can achieve. I would only apply for A*AA if i was 100% sure i will achieve those grades otherwise if your not sure then don't waste an application just apply somewhere else where they don't need as high grades. Imagine how disappointed you would be if you missed out on the offer and wished you had applied somewhere else...
Reply 69
Original post by a10
the A* grade is hard to achieve it would be better if we could apply for Uni after March when we get our January exams results at least then we would have a better picture of what we can achieve. I would only apply for A*AA if i was 100% sure i will achieve those grades otherwise if your not sure then don't waste an application just apply somewhere else where they don't need as high grades. Imagine how disappointed you would be if you missed out on the offer and wished you had applied somewhere else...

I'd speak to your subject teachers about predicted grades etc. Even though Southampton and a handful of other unis ask for A*AA, if you have a really good personal statement and references, they may lower it to AAA or A*AB. It purely depends on how hard you work this year. Achieving an A* is hard, granted, however if you're prepared to work hard I don't see why you can't achieve it.
I'm going to be applying as a mature student through access to HE course for 2013. The uni's I've picked are.... Swansea, Sheffield, Bristol, Loughborough, and need a 5th.
Reply 71
Original post by Dajaffer
I'm going to be applying as a mature student through access to HE course for 2013. The uni's I've picked are.... Swansea, Sheffield, Bristol, Loughborough, and need a 5th.

Nottingham :wink: whats your first choice?
I am applying to:

Southampton
Imperial
Oxford

I don't know what unis to apply for my final two.. Bath? Manchester? Warwick? Or others?

I'm looking for universities who have international reputations (as I am looking to move abroad in the future..). Can anyone help?
Reply 73
guys anyone applying for Brunels this year?can i know hows the accommodation and overall ranking for it?i m thinking of applying for mechanical engineering with automative design course in it.
Reply 74
Original post by sabre2th1
I am applying to:

Southampton
Imperial
Oxford

I don't know what unis to apply for my final two.. Bath? Manchester? Warwick? Or others?

I'm looking for universities who have international reputations (as I am looking to move abroad in the future..). Can anyone help?
i think bath and manchester has good international reputations.
Anyone applying to Loughborough?
Original post by a10
Nottingham :wink: whats your first choice?

At first, it was Swansea as they offered a year in N.America (so want to go America), and all the student reviews I've read seem pretty high. I know this cant be THAT accurate but I've also taken this into account, for the Uni open days I wouldnt be able to attend (for EG Sheffield that costs £90 return train ticket):http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/uk-best-university-ranking/2011/ur.html
I'm not too sure about which Uni's should be my backup, 3rd,4th or 5th, so if you have advice and why Nottingham would be a good choice, let me know! :biggrin:
Also checked this site out, let me know what you think:P
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mechanical%20Engineering

Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Anyone applying to Loughborough?

I am, but only because I live a couple of city's apart, and apparently it's the 'high end' of engineering university
Reply 77
Oh thanks for posting the link! Sadly, I don't live anywhere near Bristol either... But i'll still search the website to find something I can do hopefully. Haven't properly checked it out yet. Again, thanks!

Anyone thinking of Exeter?
Reply 79
Applying to Bath and Southampton
I'm also thinking of UCL but I haven't heard very good things about the engineering department.

Quick Reply

Latest