The Student Room Group

Football Manager Society III

Scroll to see replies

Just realised not only do I have striker issues for my club, but for my country as well. My New Zealand squad have some good strikers rep-wise, but aren't really scoring. Check out my epic friendly results since I took charge (competitive fixtures just involve beating all the Oceanians 6-0):

W5-1 vs United Arab Emirates (A) 30/8/31
L0-2 vs Latvia (A) 3/9/31
0-0 vs Uruguay (H) 4/10/31
0-0 vs Switzerland (A) 8/11/31
0-0 vs Northern Ireland (H) 12/11/31
1-1 vs Japan, the 2022 World champs (A) 4/2/32
L1-3 vs Cameroon (A) 24/3/32
0-0 vs France (A) 4/9/32
2-2 vs Brazil (H) 8/9/32 - We got a last minute equaliser

Haven't actually won a friendly match since I took charge, if you don't count UAE. Then again, I haven't lost many either. :colone:
Remember reading on here how people (including myself) struggled to get players to go out on loan.

Anyway, I analysed my team and started offering the majority of the players I knew I needed to go out on loan on the first day of the season.

Fast forward to late August, I've loaned out 12 players (all the ones I wanted to) to both affiliated clubs and one or two to other (bigger) teams.

Not sure if this is noteworthy but I have struggled in the past getting players on loan in FM12.
Original post by jackf1337
Remember reading on here how people (including myself) struggled to get players to go out on loan.

Anyway, I analysed my team and started offering the majority of the players I knew I needed to go out on loan on the first day of the season.

Fast forward to late August, I've loaned out 12 players (all the ones I wanted to) to both affiliated clubs and one or two to other (bigger) teams.

Not sure if this is noteworthy but I have struggled in the past getting players on loan in FM12.

If you have FM14 I had this problem until getting a director of football in and a head of youth development, I just leave the loans to them and pick the club I want them to go to.
[FM12] Struggling to motivate myself to get rid of a 32 year old and declining Yaya Sanogo.

He's my 4th choice striker this season (out of 4), and when I count the younger strikers out on loan, he's 7th out of 7.
Out of contract at the end of the season, and I know I need to bring another young striker through the ranks, I just can't resist giving him a new deal.

And on that note... £3.4m, yey or ney? He's a target man. Will a target man work in a very fluid passing system?

2014-09-12_00002.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Won Ligue 1 in my first season with Marseille, final day I won it. Got 84 points, PSG drew their final game and got 83 points. Won the french cup too.

Valbuena did very well for me. I bought Kace, Josue, Alcacer and Rani Khedira to start my super team off. I have 30M supposedly for next season, I need a CB to partner Nkoulou and a right back. I think Ibrahima Mendy and Morel will have to do for now, but Fanni and Ndeye are not good enough to progress in the CL. I got to the CL quarters but was thrashed 7-1 by Arsenal...
[FM12] Struggling to motivate myself to get rid of a 32 year old and declining Yaya Sanogo.

He's my 4th choice striker this season (out of 4), and when I count the younger strikers out on loan, he's 7th out of 7.
Out of contract at the end of the season, and I know I need to bring another young striker through the ranks, I just can't resist giving him a new deal.

And on that note... £3.4m, yey or ney? He's a target man. Will a target man work in a very fluid passing system?

Look at PSG with Ibrahimovic, they have a very fluid passing system, very cohesive in possession, Your player has good passing for his age. He needs to improve his off the ball movement and his pace. Also you'd want a more aggressive forward as a target man so tutor him with a striker that's more aggressive.
Original post by jam278
Look at PSG with Ibrahimovic, they have a very fluid passing system, very cohesive in possession, Your player has good passing for his age. He needs to improve his off the ball movement and his pace. Also you'd want a more aggressive forward as a target man so tutor him with a striker that's more aggressive.

Very true. He does have improvements to make but I'm sure he'll get there with the right tutoring, like you said. Do you think I should sign him up? I've agreed a £3.6m fee and contract for him and it just needs to be confirmed. (BTW- he's dubbed the next Les Ferdinand :awesome:)

My only worry is he won't grab enough goals as a target man. One of my main strikers is an Advanced Forward, gets tonnes of assists but doesn't score many, which is an issue when I play 4-2-3-1. Instead I've been playing a 20 year old poacher who is scoring for fun (the guy has bags of potential- he'll be better than Sanogo ever was IMO). That guy is third choice, my other main striker, along with the Advanced Forward player is a Deep Lying Forward, he gets goals but is fairly injury prone. When he has a run of games, he fires then in, but sporadic injuries stagnate this.

I've got 3 other young strikers out on loan, all poacher type players. One is doing incredible, 19 and getting a goal a game in the Eredivisie, then there's another who's 18/19, playing sporadically, and the third one is 23, who I'm probably going to sell as I don't think he's good enough.

I think I may just let Sanogo run down his contract :frown: He's not interested in coaching so there'd be no point keeping him for that. If I sign this new striker, he'll be my 8th. I tend to keep 4 for the first team and send the rest on loan as I have a lot of youngsters.

With that in mind, I could potentially have an AF, DLF, TM and a few Poacher(s) at my disposal upfront. Which combinations of these do you find most effective? My current systems are 4-2-3-1 (wide, with CM's), 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow) and 3-4-1-2. I'm open to chopping and changing these, although I won't make any major changes until the end of the season. I have two very good CAM's and some decent wingers, as well as some great strikers, so it's very hard to fit all of these into system. With that in mind, I'm open to any formation suggestions.

As for playing two up front, my initial instinct is to play either the DLF or the TM (with support duties) partnered with a Poacher or AF (attack). When playing one up front, use either a poacher or DLF (attack).

Should I sign this striker, I'll try and send him to an affiliated club for the remainder of the season, then reassess my striking options come the beginning of the new season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Currently playing CM03/04-I've just set up a Madrid save-screenshots coming soon.
Transfers with Madrid:

Very true. He does have improvements to make but I'm sure he'll get there with the right tutoring, like you said. Do you think I should sign him up? I've agreed a £3.6m fee and contract for him and it just needs to be confirmed. (BTW- he's dubbed the next Les Ferdinand :awesome:)

My only worry is he won't grab enough goals as a target man. One of my main strikers is an Advanced Forward, gets tonnes of assists but doesn't score many, which is an issue when I play 4-2-3-1. Instead I've been playing a 20 year old poacher who is scoring for fun (the guy has bags of potential- he'll be better than Sanogo ever was IMO). That guy is third choice, my other main striker, along with the Advanced Forward player is a Deep Lying Forward, he gets goals but is fairly injury prone. When he has a run of games, he fires then in, but sporadic injuries stagnate this.

You have to look at the guys game. Maybe he could be a complete forward. The problem with advanced forwards is that they tend to drift out wide on the flanks to help support the forwards, I have a similar issue with my forwards, which is why since (FM 12 where I had some top quality strikers doing Messi stats) I do not have a clear goalscoring striker. The threat is from my midfield. My AM is getting 25 league goals a season, my strikers are rotated a lot so generally get 1 in 2 around 10-20 goals, my wingers get like 10-15 goals a season mainly because of the role.

I've got 3 other young strikers out on loan, all poacher type players. One is doing incredible, 19 and getting a goal a game in the Eredivisie, then there's another who's 18/19, playing sporadically, and the third one is 23, who I'm probably going to sell as I don't think he's good enough.

I think I may just let Sanogo run down his contract :frown: He's not interested in coaching so there'd be no point keeping him for that. If I sign this new striker, he'll be my 8th. I tend to keep 4 for the first team and send the rest on loan as I have a lot of youngsters.

Well I'd assume the 19 year old will make it into the squad, probably do a loan in the big 5 leagues for a mid table team and see how he does.

I struggle with more than 3 strikers, I have a midfielder who can play up front (the 25 goal a season AM) so it allows me not to be in a pickle. I have 3 natural strikers, one is 26, one is 22 and the other is 18. The 18 year old has the potential to be better than all of them, but he's not at a better level than those strikers currently, he went on loan to a top 4 team in italy and got a good amount of appearances, got about 6 goals in 23 appearances at the age of 17 where he had 10 starts so he seems like he'll get better.

With that in mind, I could potentially have an AF, DLF, TM and a few Poacher(s) at my disposal upfront. Which combinations of these do you find most effective? My current systems are 4-2-3-1 (wide, with CM's), 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow) and 3-4-1-2. I'm open to chopping and changing these, although I won't make any major changes until the end of the season. I have two very good CAM's and some decent wingers, as well as some great strikers, so it's very hard to fit all of these into system. With that in mind, I'm open to any formation suggestions.

As for playing two up front, my initial instinct is to play either the DLF or the TM (with support duties) partnered with a Poacher or AF (attack). When playing one up front, use either a poacher or DLF (attack).

Should I sign this striker, I'll try and send him to an affiliated club for the remainder of the season, then reassess my striking options come the beginning of the new season.

I use 4-3-1-2, or 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-2-1. I'm not scared to play a narrow formation.

Yeah that's a good tactic with DLF+AF or TM with poacher/AF. I think poacher is best when playing with two up top as the Target man/DLF will do the main bitch work for the striker. Also you can use a Complete forward as either one of the two.
Original post by jam278
You have to look at the guys game. Maybe he could be a complete forward. The problem with advanced forwards is that they tend to drift out wide on the flanks to help support the forwards, I have a similar issue with my forwards, which is why since (FM 12 where I had some top quality strikers doing Messi stats) I do not have a clear goalscoring striker. The threat is from my midfield. My AM is getting 25 league goals a season, my strikers are rotated a lot so generally get 1 in 2 around 10-20 goals, my wingers get like 10-15 goals a season mainly because of the role.

Yeah will do. It might just be a phase. I'll try him upfront with my DLF when he's fit again. The young poacher I've got is definitely a 20+ goals a season player, even now! So I don't think it's too much of an issue if my AF isn't scoring loads. Same with my wingers and AM's, even CM's, everyone gets in on the goals.

Original post by jam278
Well I'd assume the 19 year old will make it into the squad, probably do a loan in the big 5 leagues for a mid table team and see how he does.

I'll confirm the deal then, it's November and he'll join in January. I'll either loan him out, or effectively freeze Sanogo out and use this new kid instead.

Original post by jam278
I struggle with more than 3 strikers, I have a midfielder who can play up front (the 25 goal a season AM) so it allows me not to be in a pickle. I have 3 natural strikers, one is 26, one is 22 and the other is 18. The 18 year old has the potential to be better than all of them, but he's not at a better level than those strikers currently, he went on loan to a top 4 team in italy and got a good amount of appearances, got about 6 goals in 23 appearances at the age of 17 where he had 10 starts so he seems like he'll get better.

Yeah I think even 4 strikers is difficult. It mainly for rotation because of the amount of games I have, but selection issues arise when your 19 year old is scoring for fun. Still, at least I'm not short of cover in an injury crisis.

Original post by jam278
I use 4-3-1-2, or 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-2-1. I'm not scared to play a narrow formation.

I may swap out my 3 at the back formation for one of these. I love the idea of a back 3 but I feel the concept is weak on the game. I'm not bothered my narrow systems, although I do like to use my wide players, as I have a few great wingers/wide mids. Heck, I might even give 4-4-2 a run out for a season, providing it sits with my passing tactic, and even change 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-1-1 due to players preferred positions.

Original post by jam278
Yeah that's a good tactic with DLF+AF or TM with poacher/AF. I think poacher is best when playing with two up top as the Target man/DLF will do the main bitch work for the striker. Also you can use a Complete forward as either one of the two.

Good stuff. I'll see if any of my strikers fit as a complete forward.
I'm still playing fm2013.

Did about 5 files before the update and I found it strangely unforgiving, I've played these games for ten years+ and I usually find a way to make it work but I just could not get on with this one.
I'm currently managing Man U on FM08-screenies to follow.
2014-09-14_00001.jpg

This guy.

He's going to be absolutely amazing.
2014-09-14_00001.jpg

This guy.

He's going to be absolutely amazing.

He looks promising.
Angelo Henriquez scored a beast of a hat trick for stoke against arsenal. Unfortunately Tom Cleverley did the same the other way...
2014-09-15_00001.jpg

How do we think this will work out? (Ignore the players in the formation and the player roles)
(edited 9 years ago)

How do we think this will work out? (Ignore the players in the formation and the player roles)

I did this when struggling in a game and go all out attack.

3-6-1 is better though.
Original post by jam278
I did this when struggling in a game and go all out attack.

3-6-1 is better though.

Do you reckon it'd work as a starting tactic with fluidity and controlling style of play?
I've started a new save on FM08 with Arsenal and bought some players in installments hence their inflated price:

I'm in November and second-here's my summer transfers:

I'm currently playing CM03/04 a Bury. Think I'll give FM15 a miss tbh

Quick Reply

Latest