The Student Room Group

Football Manager Society III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Yeah, it reminded me of my chelsea save. The amount of 8-0's I used to dish out was :sogood:
There are orders of magnitude differences between knocking seven kinds of **** out of premier league teams as Chelsea and doing it to amateur and semi-professional teams as a team that is still probably 4th best in Scotland.

Space bar and windowed mode were utilised to their full and I don't think I made a single tactical change in any match bar cup ties. But the seasons go fast and I'm hoping competing in Europe as a Scottish side might be interesting. As an English side you're so doused in money that the benefit of knowing whether or not a scout has 20 in judging potential becomes too much.
Original post by Llamageddon
There are orders of magnitude differences between knocking seven kinds of **** out of premier league teams as Chelsea and doing it to amateur and semi-professional teams as a team that is still probably 4th best in Scotland.

Space bar and windowed mode were utilised to their full and I don't think I made a single tactical change in any match bar cup ties. But the seasons go fast and I'm hoping competing in Europe as a Scottish side might be interesting. As an English side you're so doused in money that the benefit of knowing whether or not a scout has 20 in judging potential becomes too much.

Haha, I know how that feels, reminds me of my southampton save when they were in league 1 was just too easy having lallana and lambert against the likes of brentford.

I think the weirdest thing is how rich you become, at real sociedad I got a 127 mil transfer budget and I left for barca and got 500m in the bank :lol:

I would suggest "going on holiday" for a season, would speed up the process! :biggrin:

How far have you got in the cup competitions? Would be a good way of reaching Europe with a Scottish League club... :tongue:
Original post by boumavilla
I would suggest "going on holiday" for a season, would speed up the process! :biggrin:

How far have you got in the cup competitions? Would be a good way of reaching Europe with a Scottish League club... :tongue:
I got to the final (and then slaughtered by Celtic) of the scottish cup when in league 1, semi-finals both other years.

Starting the premier was weird though. So many games at the start, especially with europe, and nowhere near enough players. I was fielding youth team players half the time!
Kept Sunderland up on the last day with a 1-0 vs Newcastle no less :biggrin:

the quality of their squad is really dire, but the determination stats probably helped me survive. Can finally begin to build my own squad there after the heartbreak of Morcambe sacking me!
I got to the final (and then slaughtered by Celtic) of the scottish cup when in league 1, semi-finals both other years.

Starting the premier was weird though. So many games at the start, especially with europe, and nowhere near enough players. I was fielding youth team players half the time!

I currently have a similar problem myself! :redface:

With AZ, I have midweek-weekend games every week and it's killing my squad! I already have 3-4 key players out, including Jozy Altidore! :sad: So I have to completely juggle my squad, like you, for cup matches and the league, because I'm trying to concentrate on Europe...

Luckily I signed a few free transfers and got a couple of loans on deadline day to thicken out my squad.
Came 5th with augsburg, I've regressed, came 3rd 2 seasons ago, came 4th last season and came 5th this season. However the saving grace is that I've sold kalas for 7mil to leverkusen, planning on using this youth squad kid, my star striker is still here and I have a striker who can take his place in the future(he's 17atm but has got good stats) I put my aim as CL qualification so hopefully it'll motivate the players for a CL spot, the problem is that I didn't win any matches vs the big teams, koln, bayern, dortmund, leverkusen who came top 4 so that pretty much killed a chance of winning the title.

Although I'm quietly confident about this season, I need a right back and I need a left winger but bar those positions I'd say I have enough depth in the squad to compete for honours.
Just lost 4 games in a row with my palace side was cruising to the championship title 9 points ahead of wolves now they're level on points.
Original post by boumavilla
I currently have a similar problem myself! :redface:

With AZ, I have midweek-weekend games every week and it's killing my squad! I already have 3-4 key players out, including Jozy Altidore! :sad: So I have to completely juggle my squad, like you, for cup matches and the league, because I'm trying to concentrate on Europe...

Luckily I signed a few free transfers and got a couple of loans on deadline day to thicken out my squad.
Bolstering your squad with 1.5* free transfers on as little as you can give them and 1 year contracts.

Further bolstering it with loan players.

Because anybody worth putting in your squad wants to be an important first team player :frown:

ps look at who Juventus released:
Bolstering your squad with 1.5* free transfers on as little as you can give them and 1 year contracts.

Further bolstering it with loan players.

Because anybody worth putting in your squad wants to be an important first team player :frown:

ps look at who Juventus released:

I'm guessing serie A isn't loaded in the game?
Original post by jam277
I'm guessing serie A isn't loaded in the game?
You guess correctly.
You guess correctly.

I've been playing too much football manager. I figured there is a pattern, where divisions that are not loaded means that the big clubs will sell their potential world class players. It's why you get so many good brazillians and argentinian regens for free. Although I like the spanish league being loaded because I raid castilla, real sociedad B, barcelona B and bilbao athletic for cheap players, they always become disallusioned and they have so many potential world class players in the team.

I've shown you my oscar gonzalez for augsburg who has that messi stat of a goal or an assist every game. He costed me 650k from barca B.
Original post by jam277
I've been playing too much football manager. I figured there is a pattern, where divisions that are not loaded means that the big clubs will sell their potential world class players. It's why you get so many good brazillians and argentinian regens for free. Although I like the spanish league being loaded because I raid castilla, real sociedad B, barcelona B and bilbao athletic for cheap players, they always become disallusioned and they have so many potential world class players in the team.

I've shown you my oscar gonzalez for augsburg who has that messi stat of a goal or an assist every game. He costed me 650k from barca B.

Here was me thinking that loading Brazil etc. would mean you get better regens >.<
Original post by jackf1337
Here was me thinking that loading Brazil etc. would mean you get better regens >.<

You would get a higher amount of quality regens, but likelyhood is that they'll cost ****loads more. It's what playing over 60 seasons in FM12 has taught me. It was the exact same in 11, 10 and if I got 13 it'll be the absolute same thing.

Anyway, who runs their club properly in FM? As in getting the finances in check etc.
Original post by jam277
Came 5th with augsburg, I've regressed, came 3rd 2 seasons ago, came 4th last season and came 5th this season. However the saving grace is that I've sold kalas for 7mil to leverkusen, planning on using this youth squad kid, my star striker is still here and I have a striker who can take his place in the future(he's 17atm but has got good stats) I put my aim as CL qualification so hopefully it'll motivate the players for a CL spot, the problem is that I didn't win any matches vs the big teams, koln, bayern, dortmund, leverkusen who came top 4 so that pretty much killed a chance of winning the title.

Although I'm quietly confident about this season, I need a right back and I need a left winger but bar those positions I'd say I have enough depth in the squad to compete for honours.

It's refreshing to read about a season which isn't 'lol won everything every season with conference north team'.

It's new to be doing an Everton-type job than a Man Utd one, it presents different conundrums and makes you think differently.

Original post by jam277
Anyway, who runs their club properly in FM? As in getting the finances in check etc.

Dammit Jim, I'm a manager not a chairman. I'm given a transfer and wage budget and that's that. Not even Fergie looked after the finance side.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277

When I was younger I didnt care about finances and just blew vast sums of money and get into rediculous debt - owners would sell and a new cash injection would come in etc

But its too easy like that - you end up with a squad of superstars and just smash everyone

Making a profit every month and clearing bank loans etc - then winning trophies is what makes my FM world spin :colone:
Original post by ozzyoscy
It's refreshing to read about a season which isn't 'lol won everything every season with conference north team'.

It's new to be doing an Everton-type job than a Man Utd one, it presents different conundrums and makes you think differently.

Dammit Jim, I'm a manager not a chairman.

I like the challenge that a season can give you. I like the journey of a team as well rather than winning straight away. I'm usually a ten season man in a job before I become the top dog but once you're at that level it can get monotonous so I still sell key players. Like the challenge of catching up to teams, e.g. my hull 2031 season I was 10 points behind united in january, won the league with 90 points, beat united in the league cup final, beat united in the CL final.

E.g. my chelsea save where I won everything 2 years in a row with no losses got boring as ****, when I did lose it was in the league cup and that was after 156 games and I'm still 14 points ahead in february, probably going to win everything else and I'll get 103 points again for the third season in a row.

My aim is to do a united 1996 with my augsburg team and win a title struggling for it rather than doing a bayern munich.
Original post by Angry cucumber
When I was younger I didnt care about finances and just blew vast sums of money and get into rediculous debt - owners would sell and a new cash injection would come in etc

But its too easy like that - you end up with a squad of superstars and just smash everyone

Making a profit every month and clearing bank loans etc - then winning trophies is what makes my FM world spin :colone:

Agree here. That's the love of FM, playing it the right way. I'm getting a golden generation of youth players too. Got a 17 year old CB, a 17 year old striker, 2 17 year old DM/CM's, bought a romanian AM for 250k and he's looking to be a gem on loan to third division club and has got 7.5 both season and he's just turned 18.

One other thing is that it's helped me become much more of a tactical manager than a manager who just puts the team on and goes as attacking as possible.
Started the next season with Sunderland decently, 7 points from first 12, Chris Solly has 3 goals already?! Just got humped by Chelsea however, and got knocked out of the league cup by Oldham (the joys of mediocrity)

Original post by jam277
I like the challenge that a season can give you. I like the journey of a team as well rather than winning straight away. I'm usually a ten season man in a job before I become the top dog but once you're at that level it can get monotonous so I still sell key players. Like the challenge of catching up to teams, e.g. my hull 2031 season I was 10 points behind united in january, won the league with 90 points, beat united in the league cup final, beat united in the CL final.

E.g. my chelsea save where I won everything 2 years in a row with no losses got boring as ****, when I did lose it was in the league cup and that was after 156 games and I'm still 14 points ahead in february, probably going to win everything else and I'll get 103 points again for the third season in a row.

My aim is to do a united 1996 with my augsburg team and win a title struggling for it rather than doing a bayern munich.

You sound a much better manager than me, but I follow the exact same method. Loyalty is my main characteristic (too loyal to my own players sometimes) and whenever I win a trophy it feels so rewarding as opposed to with a big money bag!
Original post by jam277

Seems kinda plastic (and stereotypically comic-book villain :P ) purposefully jeopardising your team just to have a challenge.

In a top position, I got enough money anyway selling players who either wanted to leave and thus weren't playing well, or who didn't make the grade. A sub for my team was a £20m star buy for everyone else. Biggest fee I got was £44m.

Different situation being a bottom-half League One side, but it's coo'. I signed an 18 year old on a free in League Two, he scored about 20 in 30 and could dribble past everyone. The next season in League One, he's not the same. Played a few games, not scored, or even hitting the target. So it's a decision between selling him for £1-2m, or seeing if he'll dominate again when he's a year or two older, but then risking that his value will go down. While when I was top dog, I was buying the world's best players for 50m, 75m, 100m.

Quick Reply

Latest