The Student Room Group

Have You Ever Been The Other?

Poll

Have you ever been the other?

As in the one who comes between two people in a relationship? Tell about it...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I voted yes, once, and regretted it. I got between two people in secondary school and one of them was my friend (the girl). I just wanted to be accepted then I think, and he showed an interest in me, so I think he broke up with her because of me and I didn't stop him. Soon after I met up with him and then she found out. I wasn't exactly the other because I only let him kiss me after they broke up but I still felt what I ddi was wrong. Massively regretted it even before she found out, and it took her ages to forgive me (and rightly so) but yeah it happened so long ago. Never something I'd see myself doing now.

I really should go to bed soon..
(edited 11 years ago)
Nah, I tend to stay away from people that are taken. You know...not being a piece of scum and all that.
Reply 3
Yes, this guy was going out with a friend of mine from school, she and I are super close (many have thought we were a couple), they had been going out for a month or so, he had never met me, I don't like to get close to her as much as I normally when she is dating, because well, it would freak her boyfriends out, so this one day we all meet to go out to watch a movie, I finally meet him, turns out he's heard a lot about me. He fraudes then that I'm a menace to his romance, and forbids my grind from seing me. I decided to make him hate me for good reasons so, I started hanging out with her quite a lot, I regularly sent her text messages with hidden sexual references, she thought it was funny how he hated me so I never stopped trying to piss him off. He then got so pissed once, that when I sent her a text (a week before they broke up) he replied, pretending to be her, saying "look iPoop, Carl and I are now engaged, so you need to stop with the messages". I called one of our drones asking if it was true she said no, that's when I realised that I had succeded in making me an enemy of his. They broke, I would like to think because of me. :smug:
I'm yet to meet her new boyfriend face to face. He knows of my antics though, he likes me.:yy:

I too should get some rest now...

This was posted in-between my self pleasure activities on my Desire HD
No. You wouldn't like it if it was happening to you and your girlfriend/boyfriend so why be that dick that does it? If a relationship will end, you shouldnt make it worse. It'll only lead to hurt and there are plenty of other single people around so why bother?
Reply 5
Original post by AndrewWong92
No. You wouldn't like it if it was happening to you and your girlfriend/boyfriend so why be that dick that does it? If a relationship will end, you shouldnt make it worse. It'll only lead to hurt and there are plenty of other single people around so why bother?

Sometime it is quite fun :colone:

Original post by ipoop
Sometime it is quite fun :colone:

Then you have an evil sense of fun.
Reply 7
Then you have an evil sense of fun.

Well, my scenario was hilarious, even my friend though it was funny, and it was her relationship...

Original post by ipoop
Well, my scenario was hilarious, even my friend though it was funny, and it was her relationship...

Maybe she shouldn't have been in a relationship then if she treated it like some sort of joke.
Reply 9
Maybe she shouldn't have been in a relationship then if she treated it like some sort of joke.

Erm no, the guy was actually a Dick, he lied to her and she feared that he cheated on her at some stage, I just kind of paid him back for her sorrow in my own way..... :pierre:

Original post by ipoop
Erm no, the guy was actually a Dick, he lied to her and she feared that he cheated on her at some stage, I just kind of paid him back for her sorrow in my own way..... :pierre:

Well they obviously shouldn't have been together in the first place. Im sure she was old enough to deal with it her own way, there wasnt any need for you to intervene.

No matter what you say, i will always think that it isnt never right to intervene with a couple. When do you draw the line? If you think its okay now what about if they were both married? Only difference is a ring and if you dont value the significance of a relationship, a ring isnt going to mean jack to you either.
Reply 11
Well they obviously shouldn't have been together in the first place. Im sure she was old enough to deal with it her own way, there wasnt any need for you to intervene.

No matter what you say, i will always think that it isnt never right to intervene with a couple. When do you draw the line? If you think its okay now what about if they were both married? Only difference is a ring and if you dont value the significance of a relationship, a ring isnt going to mean jack to you either.

I do value relationships, fact is he was an arse not just arou.d me, although he was double the arse around me, I know it is not in my right to meddle with a relationship, I was trying to piss him off, give him a reason to hate me, for he had no concrete reason, it resulted in the break up yes but, it was already on the slide way before I had met him, the reason she actually wanted me to meet him was that so I could find out if he was cheating or not. Mariage and petty love are not the same though are they? If the relationship had a good foundation I would not have acted as I have, like I said, I don't like to meet my female friends boyfriends for I am too close to them and have too many sexual references for most of the boyfriends to dislike me. On top of that I'm heterosexual, so 90% of them see me as a threat, although they should not.:dontknow:

Original post by ipoop
I do value relationships, fact is he was an arse not just arou.d me, although he was double the arse around me, I know it is not in my right to meddle with a relationship, I was trying to piss him off, give him a reason to hate me, for he had no concrete reason, it resulted in the break up yes but, it was already on the slide way before I had met him, the reason she actually wanted me to meet him was that so I could find out if he was cheating or not. Mariage and petty love are not the same though are they? If the relationship had a good foundation I would not have acted as I have, like I said, I don't like to meet my female friends boyfriends for I am too close to them and have too many sexual references for most of the boyfriends to dislike me. On top of that I'm heterosexual, so 90% of them see me as a threat, although they should not.:dontknow:

She has to learn from her mistakes herself then and not put herself in that situation again. If she needed you to find out if he was cheating, she obviously didnt trust him anymore anyway so there wasnt any need to interfer.

Yes, if you get used to doing it with 'petty love' as you get older you'll see mariage as something as 'petty love' too. You start small but then it gets bigger.

Well why do you make sexual references to your friends? Do you want all of your friends boyfriends to hate you. Why cant you not do it when they are in a relationship...or do you secretly want to do it to get them to break-up as you have feelings for this friend?
Reply 13
I've had feelings for her yes, that has been resolved, hense why I dislike meeting her acquaintances because they always find out about her and I, like he did, he got agitated, so to speak, even though she and I stressed out that although we are close those feelings have been terminated. It's just how I am, I have no feelings for my female friends, they are beautiful girls yes but, I know too much of them, to develop anything. I did take pleasure from breaking that relationship, I won't lie. I know I won't break up any one else's, that is certain. As for the other boyfriends, you basically have to see me around girls to understand why they get defensive after the first hour, I know I would too, some twit hanging out with my girlfriend, telling dirty jokes, I'd get jealous, which is why I stay clear, and only meet them for occasionly, I'm not going to change my personality for some guy trying to get into their pants now am I?

Reply 14
nah
Reply 15
Original post by ViceVersa
I voted yes, once, and regretted it. I got between two people in secondary school and one of them was my friend (the girl). I just wanted to be accepted then I think, and he showed an interest in me, so I think he broke up with her because of me and I didn't stop him. Soon after I met up with him and then she found out. I wasn't exactly the other because I only let him kiss me after they broke up but I still felt what I ddi was wrong. Massively regretted it even before she found out, and it took her ages to forgive me (and rightly so) but yeah it happened so long ago. Never something I'd see myself doing now.

I really should go to bed soon..

Now I'm wondering if I voted wrongly in my own poll... I was supposing it "wouldn't count" if they had broken up the time it happened. I mean, it's not like there was cheating or anything - if he truly loved her, he wouldn't have broken up with her for you. Although I guess it gets more complicated if you know the rejected one...

That kind of situation happened to me over three years ago - we are still happily together. Even though I was a bit worried about how I must have looked to the other guy (I never met him as they both lived half an Ocean away) I don't regret it because my intentions were very serious and motivated by very strong feelings I had been holding back for a long time whereas their relationship was doomed at the start because she was planning to move to mainland Portugal whereas he was planning to do Uni there.

I'm not sure you're including these kinds of situation there, but what if you think that is the one? Wouldn't that justify it?
Original post by viriol

I'm not sure you're including these kinds of situation there, but what if you think that is the one? Wouldn't that justify it?

I don't believe there is a 'one' i believe, you are attracted to someone, connect on a more emotional and biological level (love) and thats it. I dont think you are destined to be with someone and you can love more than more person.

And no it wouldnt justify it. Say there is the 'one' then if its meant to be then their relationship will end then you can have your shot. If you already had feelings before they got into a relationship then its your fault for being a coward and not taking the chance.

Also saying they were the 'one' is just another excuse for being a dick tbh.
Reply 17
I don't believe there is a 'one' i believe, you are attracted to someone, connect on a more emotional and biological level (love) and thats it. I dont think you are destined to be with someone and you can love more than more person.

And no it wouldnt justify it. Say there is the 'one' then if its meant to be then their relationship will end then you can have your shot. If you already had feelings before they got into a relationship then its your fault for being a coward and not taking the chance.

Also saying they were the 'one' is just another excuse for being a dick tbh.

What if one connects more on both emotional and biological level with that person than with anyone else one's known, and more than the person that person is with? Is it really that bad to rush the end of a relationship a few months if that saves everyone the burden of living those months attached to people who aren't the one(s) they want?

After all, if not, bearing in mind your "chemical" view on love, what is so special about relationships that puts their inherent "rights" above everyone's happiness?
Original post by viriol
What if one connects more on both emotional and biological level with that person than with anyone else one's known, and more than the person that person is with? Is it really that bad to rush the end of a relationship a few months if that saves everyone the burden of living those months attached to people who aren't the one(s) they want?

After all, if not, bearing in mind your "chemical" view on love, what is so special about relationships that puts their inherent "rights" above everyone's happiness?

Yes. The person is in a relationship because they want to be. Just because you think you're better suited or connected that gives you the right to intervene? If that other person wanted to be with you they would end their current relationship first.

I didn't say that. I just don't think you should get in the way. What maybe hurting you will hurt the other person of the relationship too. How would you feel if you broke up with someone and they immediately dated another person?
Reply 19
Yes, once, and regretted it. He was living in halls with my friend which is how we got to know one another. There were absolutely no sinister intentions; it was just a case of us happening to get on really well. We’d met several times and got on really well each time but, because he had a girlfriend, I was ignoring my feelings for him and treating it as a purely platonic relationship. Then one night we somehow ended up staying up all night talking, about anything and everything, and this naively made me feel that we had an intimate connection. From then on he would speak openly about how much he felt for me etc., even suggesting on several occasions that I move closer to him (I was looking to move away from my home town anyway) He somehow managed to persuade me that he would be splitting up with his girlfriend soon, after they had been on a holiday that they already had booked, because things had deteriorated between them. This totally should have rung alarm bells but I guess it was a case of ignorance is bliss! :/ Anyway, I told him and myself that I would not have any sort of intimate physical contact with him until he had called it off completely with her, but due to alcohol and rubbish willpower I’m ashamed to say I did break this rule a couple of times Of course, soon enough I realised what an idiot I was being and broke all contact with him. It was a horrible stage in my life though because I genuinely thought that there was something significant between us. I know it’s easily said and may sound like excuses but he manipulated me, told me what he knew I wanted to hear so that he could have the best of both worlds: a girlfriend for the companionship and a bit on the side to inflate his (already inflated) ego a bit more.

Funnily enough I happened to see him for the first time since everything had ended, which had been about 1.5 years (we live in different cities), a little while ago and did not feel any sort of connection with him, he is really not my kind of person not now, anyway. Tbh I just felt disgusted by him, and wanted to get away from him. Just goes to show how much you can get swept up in what at the time feels like everything but in reality is actually nothing.

I never would have thought that sort of behaviour was acceptable before I got caught up in it, and I don’t now. I’ve never cheated on anyone but I realise that being the other party isn’t really much better. I don’t think there’s anything I feel more ashamed about than this. Just glad I’m not a desperate, immature, naïve little girl anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending