The Student Room Group
what are your other offers?
Reply 2
Ucl
Go to UCL bud. Much better course and more respected amongst employers (especially IBs)
Reply 4
(2) IB - very little; city - some, as it's a good university, but nowhere near as muh as UCL.

(3) They don't.
Reply 5
Drogue
(2) IB - very little; city - some, as it's a good university, but nowhere near as muh as UCL.

(3) They don't.

Now I'm confused. I just went on

http://www.careers.ed.ac.uk/STUDENTS/Events/Presentations/semester1.htm

and the following banks visit:

ABN Amro
Bar Cap
BNP Paribus
Citigroup
Goldmans
Morgan Stanley
RBS
UBS
Credit Suisse
Schroders
Lehman Brothers

(and BP Trading)

I don't understand why they would come, if they don't really take anyone.

Any thoughts appreciated

John
They don't really intend to go to Edinburgh, they just got lost on the way to Oxbridge :rolleyes: . They don't consider your application if you're from outside the top-10, ie they shred it immediately, mainly because those outside the top 10 have less ability (information gathered on this forum, by the same few people I might add).
Edinburgh has some clout to be fair. I've sees their people around on invitation events and selective events. More of a back office fishing place though...
Reply 8
Klinsmannic
They don't really intend to go to Edinburgh, they just got lost on the way to Oxbridge :rolleyes: . They don't consider your application if you're from outside the top-10, ie they shred it immediately, mainly because those outside the top 10 have less ability (information gathered on this forum, by the same few people I might add).

What do you mean top-10? I know to be wary of the Times ranking, but Edinburgh were 4th I think this year. What do you consider as a top-10 uni?

Also a load of people applying to Cambridge (on my interview day) were almost all applying to Edinburgh - so it can't be that bad.

By the way, I'm accepting UCL L100 as my firm & Edinburgh L100 as a backup.
The thing about being outside the top bracket of universities in the top bracket of courses is that you probably don't have AAA at A level (and to be honest, the more you have there, the better). There's something of a knock on effect when it comes to this.

You don't get into as many Spring programmes, your summer jobs won't be quite as good as etc.

Edin L100 is BBB - which is instant rejection for some IBs.
Reply 10
President_Ben
The thing about being outside the top bracket of universities in the top bracket of courses is that you probably don't have AAA at A level (and to be honest, the more you have there, the better). There's something of a knock on effect when it comes to this.

You don't get into as many Spring programmes, your summer jobs won't be quite as good as etc.

Edin L100 is BBB - which is instant rejection for some IBs.

Edin gives out BBB offers for all subjects. Although the offer for Edin L100 is BBB, there is nothing preventing you from getting AAA.
bryan
Edin gives out BBB offers for all subjects. Although the offer for Edin L100 is BBB, there is nothing preventing you from getting AAA.

But not everyone is AAA. Unlike other courses at other unis. Where would you focus your recruitment campaign on the basis of this?
Reply 12
President_Ben
But not everyone is AAA. Unlike other courses at other unis. Where would you focus your recruitment campaign on the basis of this?

Aah, well this is where Edinburgh is a little silly, and misleading. They say that their course requirements are BBB, but for the competitive courses, you will get rejected if you are not predicted at least AAB. There's something on their website about them setting the entry requirements low to attract applications from students who would not otherwise consider university. On the Edinburgh forum there are a few angry posts from people who applied thinking they would have a chance given the BBB requirements, but were rejected quickly.
With exception to Warwick, who use the AAB thing to scoop up the people who miss their AAA and need insurance... you still find that AAA is what is wanted...

Latest

Trending

Trending