The Student Room Group

what are synoptic links?

I was reading someones gepgraphy PS online, and they wrote: "What I find most fascinating in geography is the ability to make synoptic links between subjects"
But what does that actually mean, and does it make sense in this context?
Essentially it means 'general' links within or between subjects.

From the way its being used here, it sounds like someone's heard this phrase and thought it sounded clever. As someone working in Admissions, I can tell you that that if I read that sentence in a UCAS PS, I'd put the application on the "thinks he's very clever but is actually totally out of his depth" pile.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Essentially it means 'general' links within or between subjects.

From the way its being used here, it sounds like someone's heard this phrase and thought it sounded clever. As someone working in Admissions, I can tell you that that if I read that sentence in a UCAS PS, I'd put the application on the "thinks he's very clever but is actually totally out of his depth" pile.

We had a list of words and phrases in our PS booklet from college, which included 'synoptic links' and 're-inforced my decision' - would you encourage applicants not to use phrases like this then?
If you dont understand the word or phrase dont use it.

From the grammar in the OP quote, whoever wrote it doesnt understand the phrase. He/she has decided to sprinkle something 'clever sounding' into their PS in order (they think) to impress. It doesnt.

Write in clear, flowing English. Use short sentences. Sound enthusiastic about your subject. Dont try and show off.
Reply 4
From someone who got A* in A level history:colondollar: of whic synoptic links is mahoosive, they basically mean appreciating that each topic is not seperate from the other. I no nothing about geography, but its seeing how different topics link together-so weather is not a seperate entity to hurricanes for example. NOt sure if that example is right, but hopefully you get my point. As 'returnmigrant' said dont use words you dont understand, and also personalise it a bit. I applied to do ancient history and mentioned id been to this famous ancient greek palace and was fascinated that they had some form of running water. Its things like that which make admissions tutors go this candidate genuninely enjoys their subject- i want em!
Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by rosiesaurus
I was reading someones gepgraphy PS online, and they wrote: "What I find most fascinating in geography is the ability to make synoptic links between subjects"
But what does that actually mean, and does it make sense in this context?

I'm sure its already been answered, but here's my attempt.

Say you have a subject at A-Level, and that subject has two modules in each year, a total of four modules.

If you can make links between the knowledge learned in the modules, those are synoptic links. You can also make links between subjects that have overlap, like sociology and psychology, English language and English literature, etc

Think it mostly applies to essay subjects.
Reply 6
I've noticed this phrase used in text-books to highlight links between areas of a subject.
If students frequently see a phrase used in this way and understand it's meaning in that context, they will use it, especially if teachers are using it too.
I have not heard it used outside of this context, but I don't think it shows the student is trying to be clever, more that the text-book writers are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending