The Student Room Group

When do I receive my Maintenance Loan/Grant?

Hi all,

I sent my finance off a good few weeks back and I'm fairly sure it's been successful. I'm wondering though when do I actually receive the Maintenance money? Is there a section online I can look up? Or do I need to call them and find out? I ask as I need it to pay rent/deposit, I could get an overdraft but nonetheless would be massively helpful to know when I can expect payment (or just when the minimum amount will come through as I did apply for income-assessed loan/grant).

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by AndroidLight
Hi all,

I sent my finance off a good few weeks back and I'm fairly sure it's been successful. I'm wondering though when do I actually receive the Maintenance money? Is there a section online I can look up? Or do I need to call them and find out? I ask as I need it to pay rent/deposit, I could get an overdraft but nonetheless would be massively helpful to know when I can expect payment (or just when the minimum amount will come through as I did apply for income-assessed loan/grant).

Thanks!

A few days into freshers apparently
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by affleming
A few days into freshers apparently

Is there anyway (other than phoning up) to find out for sure? Freshers occurs between mid-September to mid-October for different people, so that leaves a lot of room for guesswork really. Unless it's their policy to give the loans etc when a student precisely starts the course (e.g. they're informed that the student has started by the uni, and so send the money)?
Reply 3
Is there anyway (other than phoning up) to find out for sure? Freshers occurs between mid-September to mid-October for different people, so that leaves a lot of room for guesswork really. Unless it's their policy to give the loans etc when a student precisely starts the course (e.g. they're informed that the student has started by the uni, and so send the money)?

You should have received a letter by now which tells you your payment schedule, have you received your declaration letter yet?
Reply 4
Original post by noma5
You should have received a letter by now which tells you your payment schedule, have you received your declaration letter yet?

Hi,

The only thing I've received is an email the other day telling me that my finance is being assessed. I did apply roughly around early August, which is past the deadline, but I've not yet received any letters.

May I ask what the declaration letter is?
Reply 5
Hi,

The only thing I've received is an email the other day telling me that my finance is being assessed. I did apply roughly around early August, which is past the deadline, but I've not yet received any letters.

You will get once your attendance has been confirmed so a few days into freshers apparently.
Reply 6
1-3 days after you register on the first day of your course! last year i got it about the 20th September i think.
Reply 7
When I log into student finance it tells me.

I get my first part on the 19th
Reply 8

Its not guesswork because the uni tells student finance when your attendance has been confirmed so they know when your freshers week is.
Reply 9
Im confused now, because i received my payment letter today stating what i will be receiving and on what dates, i got it today (5th sept) and it said i will be paid yesterday (4th sept) haha, and i thought that the uni would have to confirm my attendance but im sure in my first year of uni last year we got our loans earlier!!!
Reply 10
Hi,

Its a letter you have to sign which says you accept terms and conditions of receiving student loans eg you have to pay it back etc etc. When you get that, your payment breakdown and schedule will come wwith it, I have heard you can also check online as other people are saying. The date around when most people are getting theirs is roughly 24th of september from what I've seen on threads.
I'm getting my first instalment on the 24th, a week after freshers, which is a bit ****. Gonna have to be the ol' Tesco value vodka for me this year friends.
When I log into my student finance it tells me the date is 12 September
When I log into my student finance it tells me the payments the 12 of September
you get the total amount in 3 instalments.

Mine goes

17 Sept 2018
07 Jan 2019
29 Apr 2019 (my birthday lol)

I am recieving a total of £7,385 so divide that by 3 for each term, you don't get the full amount in one go.
Reply 15
No
hi i applied for the maintained grant last year and loan and received two texts separately and an interim payment ,i still dont understand what that was ,but was told id receive the same amount this year ,and i think it was on my sfe but canst see it now. i applied for the full maximum loan and grant ,do you know if ds or sfe carries this over and receive the full amount this year i have applied and got all of my paperwork in and they said they had mu pip letter. I have to find rent and deposit my course started on October 1st this year , this year ,,.i wasnt aware that i could apply for maintnce loan in the first year of study and the systme wouldnt let me do it so i didnt bother and when i asked for backdated it was too late as it was after the 9 monthes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending