The Student Room Group

Council Tax Exemption form - is there a deadline?

Our estate agent said that we needed only submit them a certificate of our student status and they would sort this out for us.
We've today, received a letter from the council tax stating we need to pay £800 of tax!

We need to get on this pronto but my question is - is there a deadline for the council tax exemption form (i can find nothing on the website suggesting one) - i don't want to be penalised for something out of our hands!
Reply 1
You should be able to get one from your UNI after you enroll...

With regards to the deadline, the council tax bill should have had a payment schedule printed on it, in which case any payment deadlines would need to be adhered to otherwise you would risk going into arrears...

To avoid this I would suggest getting the proof of student status from your uni ASAP for every person that lives in the house. If you can't find the exemption form on the Internet, call the council and ask for one to be sent out to you ASAP.

Fill in this form, send it along with the evidence, then call the council letting them know you have sent them the evidence they need - and at least then if there is a period between them updating your details and one of your payments is due it would be on your account notes that you had sent them evidence - hence not paid :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
It might be easiest to do it online directly with the council - when I did it I just had to submit the names of residents, uni ID numbers and course end dates to the council online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending