The Student Room Group

Leeds or Nottingham?

So after having a slick hicup in my exams last year im resitting and finding new universities to apply to, currently i have UCL and QM and im trying to decide between Leeds or Nottingham, never actually visited the towns and im not in any position to so im going to have to rely on your advice TSR!

The courses are broadly speaking the same in that theyre History with Russian and i have friends who are going to both this year so im kind of stuck with which one to pick...

Basically what im asking is does anyone know what the relevant faculties are like, the towns, reputation, job prospects, night life, crime, people etc. etc. etc. you know the usual quearies :tongue:

Thank you for any help rendered!
Why not both?
Reply 2
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
Why not both?

I only have one choice left :tongue:
Leeds!! :biggrin:
I am applying for Leeds next year!
I would go with Leeds, Nottingham is full of crime. I know a friend there who had several people kicked out of his first year flat because they were arrested and put on trial for beating up a student at Trent...

Neg rep all you like, everyone I know who is at Nottingham always goes on specifically about the crime!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I live next to Leeds and it is lovely but also visited Nottingham a lot because my now ex-boyfriend went there, and I loved it, always wishing I chose it! I went there practically every weekend and didn't experience any crimes etc. You get crime everywhere so don't rule out nottingham just because a few believe it's crime ridden. I would personally chose nottingham! I visited both these universities and believe nottingham was the nicer of the two, the campus is beautiful.
Reply 6
Tbh, it depends on what sort of uni you want - Leeds is based in the city, and has some lovely buildings, whilst Nottingham is based in a biiiig, green campus about 1 mile from the city centre. I've visited and it is great, all open and spacious. My sister's at Notts and has never had any experiene of crime etc. so I don't think that should figure in your reckoning too much.

Have you researched what the two departments are like for your course?
Both great uni's, can't go wrong with either. Nottingham is perhaps the more respected, but again, this may vary depending on department, as Leeds has a very strong English department.

You need to go and look at the uni's and make the decision for yourself. Nottingham has the most amazing campus that I just fell in love with it. It is also ranked 72nd in the world. The city is great too and has really nice progressive atmosphere.

On the subject of crime, and to inform the misinformed, Nottingham city has relative crime statistics on a par with any other city, whether it be Bristol or Southampton. There is such a myth about crime here, and it has been over hyped by the media. If you want to believe it fine, but that's perogative. I'm here now, and it's great. Everywhere has crime, and every city has it bad areas. Such is life.
Reply 8
Original post by cl_steele
So after having a slick hicup in my exams last year im resitting and finding new universities to apply to, currently i have UCL and QM and im trying to decide between Leeds or Nottingham, never actually visited the towns and im not in any position to so im going to have to rely on your advice TSR!

The courses are broadly speaking the same in that theyre History with Russian and i have friends who are going to both this year so im kind of stuck with which one to pick...

Basically what im asking is does anyone know what the relevant faculties are like, the towns, reputation, job prospects, night life, crime, people etc. etc. etc. you know the usual quearies :tongue:

Starting History at Leeds this year (moved in already actually) so I can get back to you in a few weeks haha.
Reply 9
Original post by cl_steele

They are both great unis. I would say they are equally respected, too. Yes, Notts has a reputation for crime, but don't let this be the decider; everywhere has crime! Personally, I'm choosing not to apply to Notts after visiting. While the campus really was lovely, I didn't think the course was for me. It was just too modern and in my opinion, the further the back the better :smile: Also, if you want to be self-catered you have to live off campus, which I didn't think was such a great thing. But, campus was lovely and if you like modern then why not? I don't really know much about Leeds apart from it's got a good reputation, has great nightlife and I know a few people who go there and they love it. Your choice, at the end of the day! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I would go with Leeds, Nottingham is full of crime. I know a friend there who had several people kicked out of his first year flat because they were arrested and put on trial for beating up a student at Trent...

Neg rep all you like, everyone I know who is at Nottingham always goes on specifically about the crime!

The crime is relative: if you go looking for it and pick fights then obviously you'll meet the crime. So long as you're not stupid about walking home alone through the Meadows/St Anns/The City at night and don't leave your doors or windows open, then you're fine.

That said, I was mugged by a cab driver on campus in my first year and have had my drink spiked without being 'unsensible' when out and about. However, I am in the minority: most people aren't as unlucky as I am. The Uni and Uni Security dealt with my issues really well, were really supportive and made clear it was comparatively rare for someone who had been careful....

Areas wise: you learn where to go, where not to go and how to avoid the bad areas. For example, out of the four student areas (Lenton, Dunkirk, Radford and Beeston), the latter is MUCH safer because it's further out of the city centre and is more residential.
Original post by Historiana

That said, I was mugged by a cab driver on campus in my first year and have had my drink spiked without being 'unsensible' when out and about.

That's hardly a standard student thing to happen though is it?
That's hardly a standard student thing to happen though is it?

No. Usually the crime associated with students here is burglaries and the odd drink spiking. My drink, I think, was spiked by a member of bar staff at a place I was at which is quite unusual because most seem to be carried out by people leaving drinks alone and someone slipping something in when they see it's been left. So long as you're careful not to do that, and are wary about the places you go to (Ocean, Oceana and the main clubs/bars are fine but the smaller venues I'd be more wary about). When the Uni security heard that I'd been attacked on campus, they immediately upped the levels of CCTV around and put extra patrols on just in case. Never heard of anything happening since.

I was just unfortunate, I think. As I did say, having one of these things happen isn't *that* common. It was just unfortunate I had both happen to me, outside of the typical scenarios....

Be careful in Nottingham and you should be fine. It's no worse than the other big student cities.
Original post by Historiana
No. Usually the crime associated with students here is burglaries and the odd drink spiking. My drink, I think, was spiked by a member of bar staff at a place I was at which is quite unusual because most seem to be carried out by people leaving drinks alone and someone slipping something in when they see it's been left. So long as you're careful not to do that, and are wary about the places you go to (Ocean, Oceana and the main clubs/bars are fine but the smaller venues I'd be more wary about). When the Uni security heard that I'd been attacked on campus, they immediately upped the levels of CCTV around and put extra patrols on just in case. Never heard of anything happening since.

I was just unfortunate, I think. As I did say, having one of these things happen isn't *that* common. It was just unfortunate I had both happen to me, outside of the typical scenarios....

Be careful in Nottingham and you should be fine. It's no worse than the other big student cities.

.this is helpful tyy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending