The Student Room Group

Medicine interviews

Does anyone know if there are any unis that don't read you personal statement before giving you an interview for ug medicine ?

Thanks.
Reply 1
They ALL read them.
Reply 2
Original post by MonnieMabyn
They ALL read them.

DAMN !!! Hahaa, thanks though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Carrotcake18
Ive actually heard that Newcastle only reads the personal statement during the interview period and pretty much use UKCAT scores for shortlisting for interview.

I don't know if this is true, but I have heard of someone applying there with an architecture personal statement (but with a ridiculously high UKCAT) and get an interview :tongue:

Yeah I'm applying for dentistry but wanted a back up, I understand med is competitive as well but I was hoping to put down something I would enjoy.
But my ukcat isn't high so .. Lol - thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jojo1995
DAMN !!! Hahaa, thanks though :smile:

Make it the best it can be and you'll have little to worry about :smile:
Yeah I'm applying for dentistry but wanted a back up, I understand med is competitive as well but I was hoping to put down something I would enjoy.

Out of your 5 UCAS choices, only 4 can be for medicine, dentistry or vet med. :redface:
Reply 6

Original post by thegodofgod
Out of your 5 UCAS choices, only 4 can be for medicine, dentistry or vet med. :redface:

She can apply to 4 dentistry and 1 medicine :fyi: but there'd be hardly any point as a dentistry PS wouldn't go down too well for medicine.
Original post by ViceVersa
She can apply to 4 dentistry and 1 medicine :fyi: but there'd be hardly any point as a dentistry PS wouldn't go down too well for medicine.

Are you sure? :hmmm:

I was always under the impression that med/dent/vet med could only take up 4 out of 5 choices :dontknow:
Reply 8

I was always under the impression that med/dent/vet med could only take up 4 out of 5 choices :dontknow:

No, I met some guy at my Aberdeen interview doing 4 med + 1 dentistry on his application! His personal statement was entirely geared toward maxillofacial surgery, something I thought a bit odd considering he was a school leaver with such a niche goal. Each to their own I suppose! :biggrin:
Reply 9

They can take up to 4 choices maximum on each course, which means if UCAS allowed you to apply to 8 unis you can choose to apply to 4 med and 4 dentistry, or 3 med, 2 dentistry and 3 VetMed. Get it? :tongue:
So how come everyone doesnt apply for 4 med and 1 dentistry? :tongue: (e.g. work experience in a hospital, shadowing a GP, and working with a dentist or something dentistry related), especially those who aren't keen on going for biomedical sciences as a 5th choice and would reapply if rejected.

Because we don't WANT to be dentists.

Glasgow don't give interviews based on PS; they interview everyone over that year's UKCAT cut-off. I don't know if it's the same for Dentistry, but that's how it was for Medicine.
(edited 11 years ago)
..and some people don't WANT to be scientists or spend three years of fees on something else before medicine :erm:

So then they shouldn't apply to a Biomedical Sciences course either... :tongue:

I just meant what has one got to lose (e.g. both require UKCAT), rather than suggesting that medicine and dentistry are similar :nah: (though ive seen some people who can't or couldn't decide which one to go for :dontknow:)

Nothing to lose. It's just as simple as not wanting to do Dentistry. Why would I apply for a course I don't want to do? If you think you'd enjoy both medicine and dentistry, by all means: apply to both (although I think it would be very difficult to write an adequate PS for both subjects). If not, it's a waste of a space and woe is some other applicant who really wanted to be a dentist if you got an offer you intend on rejecting! It should be left blank, or filled with a back-up course you wouldn't mind taking.
Reply 12
So how come everyone doesnt apply for 4 med and 1 dentistry? :tongue: (e.g. work experience in a hospital, shadowing a GP, and working with a dentist or something dentistry related), especially those who aren't keen on going for biomedical sciences as a 5th choice and would reapply if rejected.

Adding to all those answers and also saying that a medicine personal statement would not work well for dentistry and vice vera. Dentistry PS also requires certain skills to be included and demonstrated that are never in med personal statements, e.g hand eye coordination and precision, showing you can make good use of your hands etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending