The Student Room Group

Failed dissertation

As the title says I failed my dissertation, which due to having accepted a job in London and having no time I was unable to redo so eventually took the decision to take my degree as it was (I was doing speech therapy where you take more modules) this has meant however that although I have my degree in speech therapy I don't have the licence to practice as a therapist. I had had a rough final year with the death of a close family member and the breakdown of a long term relationship which massively impacted on my studies and I felt majorly disheartened once finding out about my dissertation. It has taken a year since all this happened for me to finally realise that I made a rash decision and I do really want to be a therapist. I'm not sure what to do next, I know that all I need is to redo my dissertation module for this to happen but as I have already taken my degree as it was I'm unsure as to whether this is even possible, I don't really want to contact my old lecturers as I felt they didn't really support me, but was wondering whether another uni that does this degree would have any options for me. I don't want the three years to have been for nothing as currently my degree might as well be worthless.

Any (useful) advice would be greatly received.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Indiechic
As the title says I failed my dissertation, which due to having accepted a job in London and having no time I was unable to redo so eventually took the decision to take my degree as it was (I was doing speech therapy where you take more modules) this has meant however that although I have my degree in speech therapy I don't have the licence to practice as a therapist. I had had a rough final year with the death of a close family member and the breakdown of a long term relationship which massively impacted on my studies and I felt majorly disheartened once finding out about my dissertation. It has taken a year since all this happened for me to finally realise that I made a rash decision and I do really want to be a therapist. I'm not sure what to do next, I know that all I need is to redo my dissertation module for this to happen but as I have already taken my degree as it was I'm unsure as to whether this is even possible, I don't really want to contact my old lecturers as I felt they didn't really support me, but was wondering whether another uni that does this degree would have any options for me. I don't want the three years to have been for nothing as currently my degree might as well be worthless. […]

If you have been awarded your degree then you will not be able to retake your dissertation. My worry is that it is not actually a proper honours degree you have been awarded, but just an 'ordinary' degree which discounts one of the options I will suggest.

At the moment, I can think of only two options for you. First of all, take a two-year masters course. Of course, if you have an ordinary degree then this option is not open to you. Secondly, find a university which has a four year undergraduate programme and ask to transfer to their third or fourth year. This way you might be able to salvage something. The problem is that there will probably be financial implications for resitting; I have no idea what happens with regards to NHS and Student Finance cross funding students (i.e. if the NHS would not fund you then would Student Finance).

Ultimately, you will have to face up to the fact that the decision not to resubmit your dissertation looks to have killed off any chance of qualifying as a speech and language therapist. Maybe contact the HPC or RCSLT to see whether there is anyone who could advise you. Perhaps there is some CPD you could do to become qualified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending