The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Washing machines - your opinion

Do you guys think that washing machines should be washed and how often ? I'm talking about that machines themselves.
Well this is quite a controversial subject; you're sure to get strong views on either side of this debate.

After careful analysis of the literature I have concluded that the inside of the washing machine does not need to be washed provided the machine does not undergo long periods without use. Filters within the machine should be cleaned frequently however, as dirt tends to build up on them.

This is just a brief explanation; for a more detailed insight into this topic please see 'Washing Machines: Procedures for Maintaining a Clean Device' by Toothbrush et al., available soon at all good bookshops.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Well this is quite a controversial subject; you're sure to get strong views on either side of this debate.

After careful analysis of the literature I have concluded that the inside of the washing machine does not need to be washed provided the machine does not undergo long periods without use. Filters within the machine should be cleaned frequently however, as dirt tends to build up on them.

This is just a brief explanation; for a more detailed insight into this topic please see 'Washing Machines: Procedures for Maintaining a Clean Device' by Toothbrush et al., available soon at all good bookshops.

Don't listen to this man OP, he's crazy and obviously does not represent the hard-working taxpayer like ourselves.

I've had many years experience studying the intimates of the washing machine and it is a scientific FACT that you need to CLEAN the inside of the machine EVERY DAY both MORNING AND EVENING and after AFTER EVERY WASH in order to maintain FULL PURITY. If you do not do this then excess everyday germs such as foreigneritis will clog the washing cycle system and may infect your water source.

You Matter.
Reply 3
It's a very very complex subject. These two gentlemen, representing the left and right of the washing machine spectrum have barely scratched the surface.

Ever wondered why there was no mention of washing machines in Plato's Forms? or Aristotle's works? Descartes tried his best with "I think about washing machines, therefore I am", and for many Nietzsche delivered the most convincing argument when he stated that all our traditional methods of washing must be re-evaluated, but so far, this subject has alluded the greats. If you can find the answers, you sir, will be up there with the true greats.
Original post by qwerty7
Don't listen to this man OP, he's crazy and obviously does not represent the hard-working taxpayer like ourselves.

I've had many years experience studying the intimates of the washing machine and it is a scientific FACT that you need to CLEAN the inside of the machine EVERY DAY both MORNING AND EVENING and after AFTER EVERY WASH in order to maintain FULL PURITY. If you do not do this then excess everyday germs such as foreigneritis will clog the washing cycle system and may infect your water source.

You Matter.

OP I'm afraid qwerty7's post is pseudo-science. I am coming towards the end of a four year PhD study into the maintenance of washing machines and am well informed to say that washing the machine as often as this person says is not only unnecessary, but has been shown to pose a high injury risk from maintaining the required posture necessary to clean the machine this often. A recent study showed that the risk of lower back injury was 5x greater in people who adopted this excessive cleaning method over people who did not wash the drum of the washing machine at all.

I'm afraid a lot of people claim to be experts in the field of washing machine cleaning, and a myriad of myths spouted as facts are unfortunately commonplace.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending