The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Laundry Room

Hi - boring question - but my son is going to Hatfield and I was wondering how much the washing machine costs for a wash? Is it coin operated? Do the machines take liquid and powder? TIA
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Barty81
Hi - boring question - but my son is going to Hatfield and I was wondering how much the washing machine costs for a wash? Is it coin operated? Do the machines take liquid and powder? TIA

Hi there, I can tell you about the laundry situation at St Mary's College. I assume it is similar to Hatfield's so hopefully this will help you out.

Mary's uses a card scheme run by No. 1 Circuit Laundry. You add funds to the card online and verify the top up at a little machine in the JCR. Then you swipe the card to operate the washing machines.

The majority of the washing machines require no liquid or powder as they have pumps which put this in for you. For these machines you pay £3.50 for an ECO wash, £4.00 for a Superwash or £4.50 for a Superwash Plus and they have a variety of settings (e.g. 40 degrees colours, 30 degree wool etc). The only between the prices seemed to be the amount of detergent that the machine used - but I am rather clueless in this field.

Some machines take your own detergent for a fixed cost of £3.50 but I have never used them so I am not really sure about anything past this.

The tumble dryers were free to use and ironing boards and irons were provided.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you. That’s great!
Original post by Cryptokyo
Hi there, I can tell you about the laundry situation at St Mary's College. I assume it is similar to Hatfield's so hopefully this will help you out.

Mary's uses a card scheme run by No. 1 Circuit Laundry. You add funds to the card online and verify the top up at a little machine in the JCR. Then you swipe the card to operate the washing machines.

The majority of the washing machines require no liquid or powder as they have pumps which put this in for you. For these machines you pay £3.50 for an ECO wash, £4.00 for a Superwash or £4.50 for a Superwash Plus and they have a variety of settings (e.g. 40 degrees colours, 30 degree wool etc). The only between the prices seemed to be the amount of detergent that the machine used - but I am rather clueless in this field.

Some machines take your own detergent for a fixed cost of £3.50 but I have never used them so I am not really sure about anything past this.

The tumble dryers were free to use and ironing boards and irons were provided.

Hope this helps :smile:

hey, do the dryers dry the clothes properly or do I have to bring a drying rack? also, do all colleges have laundry facilities? do I have to bring my own washing powder?
Original post by Anonymous #1
hey, do the dryers dry the clothes properly or do I have to bring a drying rack? also, do all colleges have laundry facilities? do I have to bring my own washing powder?

Hiya,

I was at St Cuthbert's Society, but I think laundry and washing is relatively the same in every college but the dyer does dry clothes properly and for cuths using the dryer was free (Not sure about Hatfield). You do have to bring your own washing powder as in my experience at Cuths, it's not provided by the college.

Hope this helps 🙂

-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest