The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JackieS
yes

the maintenance loan and student loan are the same - ts the maintenance grantyou won't get

ohhh..thx 4 clearing up tht confusion JackieS :smile:

I think i'll still end up struggling financially, do many current physio students work on weekends or during holidays?
Reply 21
shoiab
ohhh..thx 4 clearing up tht confusion JackieS :smile:

I think i'll still end up struggling financially, do many current physio students work on weekends or during holidays?

I know a few that work at weekends and during holidays yeah. I don't work during term time but I do during hls
Reply 22
JackieS
I know a few that work at weekends and during holidays yeah. I don't work during term time but I do during hls

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of work do you do e.g. retail? what are the hours like?
Reply 23
shoiab
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of work do you do e.g. retail? what are the hours like?

I do whatever I can get my hands on lol I'm signed with a few temp agencies and a few friends get their companies tto employ me. So I do admin, etc To be honest seeing as its only for a few weeks/months I'm not really bothered as long as the cash comes in lol During the hols I do full time hours if I can - and I don't work during term time
Reply 24
shoiab

I work during term time at the students union behind the bar, the good thing about working for the uni is that they are really flexible with the hours so i can work how ever much i want:smile: i would recommend working at your SU if you were going to work during the term, other jobs would expect you to work when they want you to work but the SU knows that you have to study so they are really helpful with fitting you in when you want to work:biggrin:
Reply 25
Thanks JackieS and Fynn, i'll look into part-time work nearer the time

I've been on the the http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk and used the calculator to estimate how much maintenance loan i'd be eligible for, and it comes out at £1,620 ..hmmm

I've also checked out http://www.nhspa.gov.uk/sgu/SupportForStudents/DLSandPGD/default.aspx and it seems like the means-tested NHS Bursary and non-means tested Maintenance Loan will cover the fees, but if i want any further financial help (e.g.transport, equipment) i would have to contact the uni i attend in september or get in touch with the NHS Students grants people
Reply 26
im doing my nursing in wrexham, and ill be getting a non-means tested bursary of 5800 for the year. ill be living away from home so i thought id get a loan to cover the costs of accommodation but it turns out that i cant apply for a loan becauseim getting a non means tested bursary! but it is stupid because they give the same amount for the people living at home and away!
Reply 27
sazzle123
im doing my nursing in wrexham, and ill be getting a non-means tested bursary of 5800 for the year. ill be living away from home so i thought id get a loan to cover the costs of accommodation but it turns out that i cant apply for a loan becauseim getting a non means tested bursary! but it is stupid because they give the same amount for the people living at home and away!

the whole system is full of swigs and roundabaout - what they give ou in one hand, they take out in the other - its a wonder anyone can afford to do these courses

but as a nurse with a non means tested bursay you#re actually better off than alot of us physios. I know quite alot of people that have partners or parents who earn too much money and therefore can't get a bursary, and because they've applied for a bursary (even though they're not eligible) they can only get a non means tested loan of 2500 and thats it thats all the help they get
Reply 28
OK

The Student loan associated with a NHS bursary for undergrad allied health professions for next year is £2150 (i just got a letter from my LEA-This is the same anywhere in the UK), plus bursary and if your in scotland daily university travel expenses -£80.

Basically this year i got the loan and £1150 in Means tested bursary (this includes travel expenses and extra weeks for placement-I'm studying in scotland). My parents give me their contribution which was assessed at £1600.

As long as your parents agree to pay you the contribution they are allocated you should have enough to live on. I'm in edinburgh, my accommodation is £2000 a year, with bills thats around £3000 and that includes food, internet, gas, electric. So my bursary/loan/parents cover neccessity's adequately.
Reply 29
I've got a quick question for Jackie, or any other physio students studying it as their second degree. Can you still apply for a student maintenance loan for the physio degree if you took out a student loan when you did your first degree?
Reply 30
MJay
I've got a quick question for Jackie, or any other physio students studying it as their second degree. Can you still apply for a student maintenance loan for the physio degree if you took out a student loan when you did your first degree?

Some of the people on my course get funding upto their 2nd/3rd year but have to finance themselves for the remainder. (dietetics is 4 years long). It all depends on circumstances...

I'm not sure precisely if you would be entitled, you need to get in touch with your LEA and they will tell you. They don't give specific info out in the guides or anything.

The student support site (http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk) doesn't say anything except your LEA will let you know.

All the allied health professions are under the same rules etc for funding..Nursing and medicine are different.
Reply 31
This link: http://www.nhspa.gov.uk/sgu/forms/booklets/students_financial_help.pdf

Is the latest edition of the finanacial help for healthcare students, gives you details of the bursary's mainly, but it might help answer people's queries. It is geared towards people studying in england, but for other areas of the UK there are very similar arrangements (almost identical in scotland, except scotland also includes daily uni travel expenses), and the contacts for the other agencies in other parts of the UK are at the back of the booklet download.

Mjay: You can still apply for a bursary, as long as your degree before wasn't NHS funded. You can also apply for a loan...but theres no info for definate saying if you will get one as its all circumstances driven. I would contact your LEA, or just apply and see. Theres also a NHS hardship fund (details are in the booklet at the link above), as well as your uni should have a hardship fund. So if you find yourself in difficulty there is help available.
Reply 32
MJay

MJay - yes you can definitely apply for a maintenance loan - 2nd loans are allowed provided that your degree leads to some formal qualification (e.g. medidine, nursing, architecture, law etc) and this is written in the forms that the student loan company send out
Reply 33
~Kirsty~
This link: http://www.nhspa.gov.uk/sgu/forms/booklets/students_financial_help.pdf

Is the latest edition of the finanacial help for healthcare students, gives you details of the bursary's mainly, but it might help answer people's queries. It is geared towards people studying in england, but for other areas of the UK there are very similar arrangements (almost identical in scotland, except scotland also includes daily uni travel expenses), and the contacts for the other agencies in other parts of the UK are at the back of the booklet download.

Mjay: You can still apply for a bursary, as long as your degree before wasn't NHS funded. You can also apply for a loan...but theres no info for definate saying if you will get one as its all circumstances driven. I would contact your LEA, or just apply and see. Theres also a NHS hardship fund (details are in the booklet at the link above), as well as your uni should have a hardship fund. So if you find yourself in difficulty there is help available.

it actually says in the notes that come with the loan forms that you are entitled............as long as your degree leads to a formal qualification
Reply 34
Not everyone gets loans if you've had funding for a degree before...A couple of my friends are not entitled to any funding next year (but they have been entitled to it for the last 2 years)...bursary and loan. The notes for my loan says you might not get one if you hold a previous honours degree unless your doing certain vocational courses...it doesn't specify the courses...fair enough healthcare courses are vocational. :smile:
Reply 35
JackieS
it actually says in the notes that come with the loan forms that you are entitled............as long as your degree leads to a formal qualification

Are you applying directly to the SLC under the trial scheme?...that could explain why our forms and notes are slightly different.

I only ask because on the student Finance direct website (the government people who organise the finance and forms it says:

Can I apply for a loan?
If you are on a full-time, sandwich or part-time initial teacher training course, you are eligible to apply for a loan. If you have previously studied in Higher Education, your Local Authority will tell you if you are eligible to apply for a loan again. To receive a student loan you must be aged under 60.

And on the notes for the student support direct forms (PN1 or PR1) it says:

You are not eligible for a Maintenance Loan if you already hold a UK honours degree unless you are taking a particular vocational degree.
Reply 36
~Kirsty~
Are you applying directly to the SLC under the trial scheme?...that could explain why our forms and notes are slightly different.

I only ask because on the student Finance direct website (the government people who organise the finanace and forms it says:

And on the notes for the form (PN1 or PR1) it says:

physio and healthcare courses are considered as vocational and therefore you qualify hence why I got funding this year even though I have a UK honours dgeree already

I applied last year and it said the same thing

yes - I'm applying through the SLC but that has no relevance because the forms you fill in are the same - its just the address you send it to thats different

check this link:
http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SPIPG001/SPIPS001/SPIPS008/S_FSHE_V6.PDF

page 25............
"With the exception of supplementary grants (described on pages 12 to 23), further support will not generally be available to students who have used up their entitlement to funding. However, maintenance loans will continue to be available to
students who do not already have an honours degree from a UK institution, and to students who
are on a course leading to a professional qualification in a number of areas, including medical doctor, dentist, veterinary doctor and architect."

Physio falls under this category
Reply 37
I know they're vocational. They only support the people on my course for 2 years which is why i'm not sure...its confusing.
Reply 38
~Kirsty~
I know they're vocational. They only support the people on my course for 2 years which is why i'm not sure...its confusing.

I don't know then! All confusing lol!
Reply 39
I read somewhere (on the SAAS site for scottish students) that they can get bursary for 2 years, and just the loan for the rest of the time....mmmm...sure my friends said they couldn't get either....anyways! :smile:

Latest