The Student Room Group

Wanting to apply for both Aerospace/Aeronautical AND Mecanical Engineering?

Basically I want to do an Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering degree but it is a difficult course to get onto and alot of Universities I really liked don't offer it. Therefore what I was planning to do was to use 3 of my 5 UCAS places to apply for Aerospace/Aeronautical courses and use the other 2 to apply for Mechanical Engineering courses. This is because generally i've found Mechanical Engineering to be alot easier to get onto AND because Mechanical Engineering was the broadest based Engineering discipline I could think of, therefore it may prove easier (?) to write a personal statement catering for both.

Do you think this is a good (or rather plausible; I know doing this isn't advised) idea? Does it matter applying for different courses considering they are both Engineering courses?

Also BQ: Can I apply for both courses at the SAME Unviersity? I wanted to apply for both courses at Loughborough because I really liked the University and the Entry Requirements are significantly lower for Mechanical Engineering (and they are quite vague for Aeronautical Eng. - like AAA/ABB or a range like that).

PS: Sorry I spelt Mechanical wrong in the title haha... I can't change it now :/
Reply 1
I'd say they are both equally as hard to get into, but if you are of the right calibre you shouldn't have any problems. On my UCAS, I applied for two general engineering, one aero and two mechanical engineering courses.

You may also want to check out the third and forth year optional modules for courses you are looking to apply to. A lot of unis cater for aero modules in mech eng degrees and vice versa. Some unis even offer (like Southampton for example) degrees called Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace and in this, your third and forth years are more focussed on aero than a normal mech eng degree.

At the uni I'm at the first year between aero and mech are almost identical so choosing one over the other doesn't mean you'll miss out on certain areas. Of course from second year they diversify but some unis allow you to switch courses after the first year due to their similarities. It may be worth e-mailing loughborough about this as you can apply to two different courses at the same university, but if they do allow the switch after first year, you may only want to apply to one course of the two and apply to another course at another uni in its place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Like_A_G6
I'd say they are both equally as hard to get into, but if you are of the right calibre you shouldn't have any problems. On my UCAS, I applied for two general engineering, one aero and two mechanical engineering courses.

You may also want to check out the third and forth year optional modules for courses you are looking to apply to. A lot of unis cater for aero modules in mech eng degrees and vice versa. Some unis even offer (like Southampton for example) degrees called Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace and in this, your third and forth years are more focussed on aero than a normal mech eng degree.

At the uni I'm at the first year between aero and mech are almost identical so choosing one over the other doesn't mean you'll miss out on certain areas. Of course from second year they diversify but some unis allow you to switch courses after the first year due to their similarities. It may be worth e-mailing loughborough about this as you can apply to two different courses at the same university, but if they do allow the switch after first year, you may only want to apply to one course of the two and apply to another course at another uni in its place.

Okay I see what you're saying; thanks alot this was very helpful.

Where did you apply and how many offers did you get just out of curiosity? Also how did you set about writing your personal statement catering for all the different disciplines you applied for? Or did you just write a personal statement generally catering for Engineering as a whole?
Reply 3
Original post by shaunbrockhill
Okay I see what you're saying; thanks alot this was very helpful.

Where did you apply and how many offers did you get just out of curiosity? Also how did you set about writing your personal statement catering for all the different disciplines you applied for? Or did you just write a personal statement generally catering for Engineering as a whole?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:colone:ngineering_19

Reading it back has made me cringe :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm currently at Glyndwr university in wrexham in north Wales, I'm studying aeronautical and mechanical engineering as a single subject. The entry requirement is 240 ucas points if your still interested. The good thing about Glyndwr is it's well connected to airbus and even has a research campus on-site in the airbus complex in broughton for composite materials testing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest