The Student Room Group

Does university rep matter for Aeronautical Engineering? (UCL Ranking)

My friend is applying to Imperial, but due to the low rankings for UCL, is skeptical to apply there, and would pick Southampton for example instead. Does university rep matter that much? Would his chances of a top career be hindered if he went to UCL? It is a great uni after all, but would employers care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
As long as it's accredited, engineering firms don't really care.
Reply 2
I definitely read this as 'TSR' rep. Which I'm fairly sure does not matter for aeronautical engineering... maybe.
Original post by awe
I definitely read this as 'TSR' rep. Which I'm fairly sure does not matter for aeronautical engineering... maybe.

Read this as rep for top companies considering that's where he's aiming. (:

So would UCL be fine if it's accredited? Boeing and eventually a career as a chartered engineer or NASA are his aspirations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Don't really think employers tend to look down their noses at UCL degrees, unless of course you mean UCLan but as others said accreditation by relevant engineering institute is what you should look out for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is UCL good for engineering though? I mean, yeah, as long as the course is accredited, it's fine, but surely you want to be taught things well, where at least the lecturers are passionate about what they're doing and can explain things effectively.

I was talking to someone who studied mech eng there, and he never mentioned anything positive about the department!
Reply 6
Your final grade will matter far more as well as your experiences, aerospace companies are mostly technical places and when it comes to hiring engineers it's what you can do that matters, rep of the uni or even rankings of it generally mean toss all.

But it should be remembered most of the reputable and big name aerospace companies are blue-chip employers and they have the ability to pick and choose simply due to the sheer number of applicants they get each year so I probably wouldn't go to a crap uni :smile:
Original post by + polarity -
Is UCL good for engineering though? I mean, yeah, as long as the course is accredited, it's fine, but surely you want to be taught things well, where at least the lecturers are passionate about what they're doing and can explain things effectively.

I was talking to someone who studied mech eng there, and he never mentioned anything positive about the department!

What specifically is so bad about it and why aren't UCL making it better when they know the lecturers are lackadaisical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Incredimazing
My friend is applying to Imperial, but due to the low rankings for UCL, is skeptical to apply there, and would pick Southampton for example instead. Does university rep matter that much? Would his chances of a top career be hindered if he went to UCL? It is a great uni after all, but would employers care?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just like getting accepted to a certain standard of University - it's the tier rather than individual University that counts.

Personally, for aeronautical engineering, I'd view as those in the top tier (in no particular order): Cambridge, Bristol, Bath, UCL, Imperial, Oxford.
Original post by ElChapo
Don't really think employers tend to look down their noses at UCL degrees, unless of course you mean UCLan but as others said accreditation by relevant engineering institute is what you should look out for
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait if I study aerospace from UCLAN will it still matter

Quick Reply

Latest