The Student Room Group

Man shoots own son in 'burglary'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kog
I don't personally deem `self defence` a viable reason to own a gun, but as seeing it is in America, I suppose it is a point to note. However if a person is using a gun for protection from someone armed in their home, I don't think they're going to be to worried about a bullet going straight through and denting something, you wouldn't take a shot if family/friend is behind them anyway, always the chance you may pull the trigger too late, and the `criminal` would have moved (similar thing with rabbits, I swear the ones I hunt know I can't go near the cows...). I guess you could argue a HP will put them down quicker, but at the close ranges inside a house, you're likely to get a few shots in anyway. Personally if i had to chose a gun solely for self defence, i'd pick a shotgun, due to the fact i wouldn't know if my aim would be true, under those cirumstances.

Disagree on the self defense, clearly american here hehehe, I agree though in the heat of the moment people aren't thinking about over penetration when they fire a gun but when they are at a store buying a gun and ammo for that gun with the intention of self defense in a house they will almost always buy ammo with that in mind. Man that is/was a really long run on sentence. HP's are definitely nasty rounds. Shot guns are definitely good for home defense and again a lot of people use bird shot rounds for self defense in a house they don't use 00 buck shot. The only downside though with shot guns is that the distance between you and the attacker should be about 10 yards. The spread/diameter of the pellets or buckshot is only 1 inch per 1 yard so you can easily miss if your in a hall way and your attacker is within 5 yards of you.

Original post by kog
I really do think Hollows are nasty bullets, and are suited to hunting, but useful for the police when taking someone down in public, to lower the risk of a bullet penetrating and getting another.

Which is what my argument is for home defense, they also are a lot less likely to ricochet as well if they hit the ground.
Reply 21
Original post by Something2
Ok what are they then? I'll give you a hint they are not assault rifles, assault rifles and assault weapons are not the same thing. Keep in mind that assault weapon term was created by the brady campaign to demonize unjustly certain guns/features.

Technically speaking it reffers to semi automatic fast firing weapons, an assault rifle would however come under this would it not? To be fair though it wasnt exactly a bad ban, some ofthe weapons it banned were worthy of being banned such as the tec-9... nothing but a bullet hose with no use for hunting or plinking it was simply for killing.

And people do that all the time on their own property and at gun ranges, so what is your point? There is no need for alcoholic beverages to have more 5% alcohol in them is there? What need is there for an alcoholic beverage to have more than 5%? The .50 BMG probably could go through the armored cars.

You cant blow a human in half with a bottle of Vodka though now can you? you can try and apply that argument to whatever you like but lets be honest its simply attacking a straw man seeing as the two are incomparable... The .50BMG is, as i said before, used as an anti-material weapon and unless that annoying old wall in your garden needs to be shot to bits what need does anyone have for it? I was morereffering to the larger cartridges though such as the 20mm and upwards which seem to have gained a following lately, let me remind you that that cartirdge is designed solely for taking out planes, armoured trucks and missiles...

If you are that bad of a shot maybe...maybe you want a 90 round drum because you want to go to a gun range or your own private range to shoot without having to reload constantly.....

Maybe but if theyre that bad a shot would you trust them with a firearm anyway? Thisisnt necesserally my own thoughts, especially the large magazine objections its awell cited concern by many Americans allowing people to walk around with drum magazines for machine pistols and the like, theres really no need for them and to be quite honest being to lazy to reload doesnt quite fly does it?

Disagree with that, hallow points would have a use out side of hunting, for example self defense in your house would help protect against over penetration.

That is true, the problem with hollow points is theyre very unforgiving, make a small 1cm entry wound and blow a hole the size of a dinner plate when exiting... Someone robs your house im all for disabling them but those bullets are designed to cause maximum catastrophic damage i.e. to kill and can be and are abused, Even the Germans complained about in the war...
Reply 22
Original post by TimHuak
- Youre making very little sense
- It doesnt look like you read my post properly
- Alot of people do not understand what an "assault weapon" is in the USA. Even the US media get it wrong alot of the time. Confusion exists between "assault rifle" and "assault weapon".

I'm not American but I have spent a long time reading up about the subject of gun control. Alot of the stuff out there is specifically about the USA.

And it appears you didnt read mine either...
Im aware of the difference.
Thats nice for you but that doesnt negate the point

Original post by kog
:O I'm gonna assume you meant `maximum` unless you want every new born child given 10 guns straight out the womb...

Sorry that post was meant somewhat tongue in cheek not to be taen to litterally :tongue:

Original post by kog
Whilst I agree that the gun laws could do with being stricter in the US, i think some of your bans are questionable;

-better of saying any gun that can fire fully auto/burstfire, to be banned (I think the US already restricts the sales of `assault weapons`). And if it is fully auto, to be restricted to fire on a straight-pull-back mechanism only, like the law in the uk is. I agree with this UK law, fully-autos are no good for target shooting and are a waste of ammo. Not to fond of the UK's law on banning all semi-autos other than .22LR/Long barrel revolvers, but that's a different story I guess.

I believe it restricts the sale of fully automatic machine guns unless you can get an exemption but as for 'assault weapons' the ban was lifted back in 04 i believe :smile: Aye the UKs laws are far to harsh in my opinion they just serve to penalise honest shooters rather than protect people, the hoops you have to jump through to get a FAC are something heinous and theyre simply a knee jerk reaction to one nasty incident.

Original post by kog
-Banning extended mags? no good, you'd need to define a extended mag for each gun. And, as a target shooter, when using a semi auto, there are some competitions that require you to shoot rather quickly, Thus I have 4X25 round magazines, compared to the single 15 round magazine that came with the gun, I also plan on making a jungle-style clip using two of them, to reload a bit faster, whilst keeping my sights on the targets a bit easier.

Im assuming you're american then? I was more reffering to the heavily extended clipssuch as the drum mags you can load into hand guns which take more bullets than the damn army ones :rolleyes: However it must be said even 25 round magazines, except for rifles perhapse, are somewhat excessive are they not?

Original post by kog
-AP bullets, providing you just mean AP bullets, not FMJ's in general. i didn't even know americans could get their hands on a AP bullet, only purpose i could think of is to kill a human with those, so yeah, i don't disagree there, they shouldn't be available for civilian use. (unless those darn deers have gotten wiser, and started building armour for themselves!!

Its a tough one whilst the legal definition of AP bullets they are banned certain manufacurers like FN in Belgium have gotten around it with their FN five-seven whos bullets are morelike mini rifle rounds and have come under great attack for their ability to go through an armoured vest, that being said theyre seriously fun to shoot :colone:
Original post by kog
-Dum-Dums - Big disagree, vital for hunting/stalking/and also farmers with badgers/fox problems, hollow points aren't necessary on rabbits, but useful if you can't get a clear shot of their head. Restrict the US to only being allowed to buy Hollow Points if you hunt/stalk/pest control, like they do in the UK? I'd agree with that, HP's are nasty bullets, but generally a quicker/cleaner way of killing a animal

Mmm its a fun trade off isnt it you ditch the stopping power of a HP for the penetration power of a FMJ and you get yelledat for each one :rolleyes: Its tricky because evidently each one of these weapons in the right hands does have its uses but theyre so liable to abuse it makes it tricky doesnt it?

Original post by kog
-Big Calibre guns, as a target shooter, I would love to shoot a big bad arse .50 BMG bolt action on the 1000 yard range down at Bisley...To me, that's my idea of `fun`, and imagine it to be other target shooters ideas of fun as well, so i don't see the need to ban the big ol' rifles.

Oh aye I'd love to take one for a spin down at Bisley [wasnt aware you could though? Ive only ever seen people firing 5.56 and 7.62s down there:tongue:] I was more reffering to the rising quantity of massive calibre weapons such as the:
.577 T-Rex
.577/450 Martini-Henry
.577/.500 Magnum Nitro Express
.585 Nyati
.600 Nitro Express
.600 Overkill
.700 Nitro Express
.70-150 Winchester
.950 JDJ
and other such over calibres guns, let alone the 20/25mm out there now
Original post by kog

I also think you shouldn't assume `bigger calibre=more scary`. I'm sure you probably don't assume this, but for anyone reading, that does think like this (and a lot of people do) I'll try to sum this up briefly, compare the .22LR with the .223, the actual calibre of the bullet isn't much, however the .223 is very similar to the NATO standard, 5.56 x 45mm NATO, the intermediate round used in the assault rifles. On the other end of the spectrum, whilst a .44/.45 sounds a big ol'd calibre (it is!) when used in the lever action rifles that can fire them, you'd be lucky to hit a target at 25 metres on your first go.

again true it does depend on the power behind the bullet but if you look at something like the .950JDJ it has a muzzle energy of around 52kj... that ****ers gunna pack a punch isnt it? :tongue:

Original post by kog
As a UK target shooter, I currently own two .44 revolvers, and a .22LR semi auto replica of a AK-47, but have shot many guns down the club! I think the UK's law on guns are strict, but fair, the only way i'd like to see the laws adjusted, is to unban .22LR pistol (especially the single shot ones!), and to have it so, that after a set amount of years of owning a FAC, you can maybe apply for a further permit to own a larger calibre semi-auto, and possibly a full bore pistol. If America were to ever go to the hassle of implementing similar laws to ours, it may pay off for them in the long run

I have a question for you is it legal to actually own a hand gun? many say ra ra course not butif i remember rightly youre aloud to 'own' one if its kept at the club arent you? ho ho if america ever tryed that theyd have a full blown revolution, and a bloody well armedone at that :tongue:

Original post by kog

None of this was meant to be a bash at you, I agree on some of your points, but just thought i'd point out the bits i didnt quite see where you were coming from, feel free to correct me, if you feel I am also wrong.

Once again most of the post you replied to was meant to jab at timmyboy but its a fair rebuttle, personally i quite like guns theyre great for sport and defence alike i just feel that some of the american lack of restrictions are somewhat detremental to their safety in general and arent especially useful anyway :smile:
Reply 23
How is making stupid suggestions a jab at me?
Reply 24
Original post by cl_steele

Sorry that post was meant somewhat tongue in cheek not to be taen to litterally :tongue:

I believe it restricts the sale of fully automatic machine guns unless you can get an exemption but as for 'assault weapons' the ban was lifted back in 04 i believe :smile: Aye the UKs laws are far to harsh in my opinion they just serve to penalise honest shooters rather than protect people, the hoops you have to jump through to get a FAC are something heinous and theyre simply a knee jerk reaction to one nasty incident.

Im assuming you're american then? I was more reffering to the heavily extended clipssuch as the drum mags you can load into hand guns which take more bullets than the damn army ones :rolleyes: However it must be said even 25 round magazines, except for rifles perhapse, are somewhat excessive are they not?

Its a tough one whilst the legal definition of AP bullets they are banned certain manufacurers like FN in Belgium have gotten around it with their FN five-seven whos bullets are morelike mini rifle rounds and have come under great attack for their ability to go through an armoured vest, that being said theyre seriously fun to shoot :colone:

Mmm its a fun trade off isnt it you ditch the stopping power of a HP for the penetration power of a FMJ and you get yelledat for each one :rolleyes: Its tricky because evidently each one of these weapons in the right hands does have its uses but theyre so liable to abuse it makes it tricky doesnt it?

Oh aye I'd love to take one for a spin down at Bisley [wasnt aware you could though? Ive only ever seen people firing 5.56 and 7.62s down there:tongue:] I was more reffering to the rising quantity of massive calibre weapons such as the:
.577 T-Rex
.577/450 Martini-Henry
.577/.500 Magnum Nitro Express
.585 Nyati
.600 Nitro Express
.600 Overkill
.700 Nitro Express
.70-150 Winchester
.950 JDJ
and other such over calibres guns, let alone the 20/25mm out there now

again true it does depend on the power behind the bullet but if you look at something like the .950JDJ it has a muzzle energy of around 52kj... that ****ers gunna pack a punch isnt it? :tongue:

I have a question for you is it legal to actually own a hand gun? many say ra ra course not butif i remember rightly youre aloud to 'own' one if its kept at the club arent you? ho ho if america ever tryed that theyd have a full blown revolution, and a bloody well armedone at that :tongue:

Once again most of the post you replied to was meant to jab at timmyboy but its a fair rebuttle, personally i quite like guns theyre great for sport and defence alike i just feel that some of the american lack of restrictions are somewhat detremental to their safety in general and arent especially useful anyway :smile:

Sorry for the very late reply (two words, `freshers week`) But i feel I ought to reply to some of your direct questions i can reply too :P especially with a good detailed message you posted

Firstly, I'm not American, but a lot of people assume I am when I start my tlaking about guns, I'm Welsh/British, and have lived in UK all my life.

Handguns in the UK are a grey area, generally all full bore pistols are classed as section 5 firearms, meaning their banned for anyone without special permit. To get special permit you need to either have `humane dispatch` on your FAC, but this normallymeans the magazine or cylinder is restricted to 2 shots, or prove the Pistol is of historical interest in some way. Long Barrel Pistols (often with a coat hanger stock, like some variants of the Taurus) are allowed.

My revolvers are both .44 blackpowder revolvers, meaning they aren't full bore, as you load the blackpowder/filler/bullet/percussion cap every time you fire (you don't just slip a ready made cartridge in!). I personally own a working replica of a 1851 Colt, and a working replica of a 1858 remington with 12" barrel, and detachable shoulder stock (very bad arse looking gun!)

And to be honest with you, I'm unaware of most of those calibres you stated, other tha the nitro express ones, (i'm trying to imagine what a gun that fires a .950 looks like!)
Reply 25
He must really hate his neighbour now
Reply 26
Original post by kog
Sorry for the very late reply (two words, `freshers week`) But i feel I ought to reply to some of your direct questions i can reply too :P especially with a good detailed message you posted

Firstly, I'm not American, but a lot of people assume I am when I start my tlaking about guns, I'm Welsh/British, and have lived in UK all my life.

Handguns in the UK are a grey area, generally all full bore pistols are classed as section 5 firearms, meaning their banned for anyone without special permit. To get special permit you need to either have `humane dispatch` on your FAC, but this normallymeans the magazine or cylinder is restricted to 2 shots, or prove the Pistol is of historical interest in some way. Long Barrel Pistols (often with a coat hanger stock, like some variants of the Taurus) are allowed.

My revolvers are both .44 blackpowder revolvers, meaning they aren't full bore, as you load the blackpowder/filler/bullet/percussion cap every time you fire (you don't just slip a ready made cartridge in!). I personally own a working replica of a 1851 Colt, and a working replica of a 1858 remington with 12" barrel, and detachable shoulder stock (very bad arse looking gun!)

And to be honest with you, I'm unaware of most of those calibres you stated, other tha the nitro express ones, (i'm trying to imagine what a gun that fires a .950 looks like!)

No worries, freshers is understandable :tongue:

Aye i agree with you on that i've never quite been ableto understand the lawsas some people in the UK do legally own things like Glock 19's and the like and are even selling them on gunmart... just rather confused as to what excuse they used to manage to get them in the first place baring in mind you need a 'good reason'.

Ah gotcha, thought you meant you owned something like a Smith and Wesson Magnum or the like and was going to ask how on earth you got permission for one of those :tongue:
May i ask what its like shooting black powder pistolsas ive only ever fired full bore handguns in the states, never tryed a Black powder one :tongue:

Yar most of them are slightly obscure and used for big game shooting, baring in mindits essentually a shortened necked up 20mm round, its a ****ing big gun :tongue: I imagine firing it would take your damn arm off :rolleyes:
Reply 27
No worries, freshers is understandable :tongue:

Aye i agree with you on that i've never quite been ableto understand the lawsas some people in the UK do legally own things like Glock 19's and the like and are even selling them on gunmart... just rather confused as to what excuse they used to manage to get them in the first place baring in mind you need a 'good reason'.

Ah gotcha, thought you meant you owned something like a Smith and Wesson Magnum or the like and was going to ask how on earth you got permission for one of those :tongue:
May i ask what its like shooting black powder pistolsas ive only ever fired full bore handguns in the states, never tryed a Black powder one :tongue:

Yar most of them are slightly obscure and used for big game shooting, baring in mindits essentually a shortened necked up 20mm round, its a ****ing big gun :tongue: I imagine firing it would take your damn arm off :rolleyes:

Take for example these pistols, which are being sold on a UK website;
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Glock_Pistol_17_For-Sale_090225152805004
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Sig-Sauer_Pistol_P232_For-Sale_090612211124310
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Smith-Wesson_Pistol_10-6_For-Sale_100429154221120
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Taurus_Pistol_For-Sale_120609140700481 (this one actually states the cylinder has been modified for one shot only!)

Note how they all say only available for `humane dispatch` or deactivated. Humane dispatch is really only available for hunters/stalkers, sometimes vets as well, I think. But the magazine or cylinder is normally restricted, so that's how pistols are advertised on UK websites.

It's really quite fun shooting blackpowder, you get a lot more attached with your gun, as the amount of time spent measuring gunpowder/cleaning the gun/loading the gun/fixing the problems which happen fairly often, makes the experience a lot more `long term`, than just throwing some bullets into a magazine and shooting non stop (although this is better stress relief!). Don't know how to really explain it, I guess i get a lot more attached to my blackpowder pistols, other guns I find once you zero the scope in, you don't really think about anything else other than loading and shooting.

Recoil wise, they're not too bad, for shooting at 25 metres, I only use a 14 grain load, as opposed to the max 28/30, it has a nice kick to it though. With the shoulder stock on my 12" one, I was getting some problems with the blowback of powder and filler going in my face, giving me a not so pretty looking powder burns on the side of my face, now balaclava and safety goggles have to be worn when I use the stock.

I certainly wouldn't mind owning a Smith and Wesson Magnum though....I have been looking at getting sometihng like this

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Taurus_Pistol-Long-Barrel_980-Stainless_For-Sale_111101121645001

In either .357/38 or .44, I have one slot left on my licence for another calibre, not sure whether to go for that or a assault rifle restricted to straight pull, in either 7.62x39mm or 5.56x45mm. Will probably just wait it out and see what pops up. I've still yet to buy a .303 rifle and a .357/38 rifle (I'm licenced to own both, but haven't got around to buying em yet!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Technically speaking it reffers to semi automatic fast firing weapons, an assault rifle would however come under this would it not? To be fair though it wasnt exactly a bad ban, some ofthe weapons it banned were worthy of being banned such as the tec-9... nothing but a bullet hose with no use for hunting or plinking it was simply for killing.

No assault rifles would not come under that, in order to be an assault rifle it has to be fully automatic, that is why assault rifles were not effected by the ban. The assault weapon ban banned certain features such as a pistol grip, barrel shrouds, fold-able stock, threaded barrel, flare launcher, and bayonet lugs. In other words not a single features that actually increases the lethality of a firearm. It also banned certain guns because of the way they looked like the AR-15. Actually it was a bad ban because it didn't do anything in terms of saving people's lives it basically had absolutely no effect on gun crime. The guns that were banned made up less than 1% of gun crimes in the US. Take for example the Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle, it is neither an assault rifle or an assault weapon even though it is a semi-automatic that fires the same bullet the AR-15/M16 shoots and it accepts detachable magazines. So even if you banned the AR-15 I could just replace it with a Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle, you can't possibly tell me that firearm without a pistol grip or a flare launcher or a barrel shroud would be less lethal than an AR-15.

To be honest your ignorance is showing when claiming the Tec-9 was worthy of being banned, the Tec-9 is widely known in gun owner circles of being a very poor quality firearm that jams up very easily and frequently especially if it is not using ammo created by intratec, which is now defunct. The only reason why criminals bought it was because it was cheap and had a intimidating look to it. Banning it was one of the worse things you could do because it basically took off the worse quality gun on the market and put more higher quality guns in the hands of criminals.

With that said how does the Tec-9 have no value in terms of plinking? All guns are useful for plinking, how can a gun not have any value in terms of plinking?

You cant blow a human in half with a bottle of Vodka though now can you?

Debatable. If you took vodka and mixed it with chlorine and put ball bearings or nails into the bottle and shook the bottle you would have a homemade grenade that could easily kill or seriously injure a large group of people.

you can try and apply that argument to whatever you like but lets be honest its simply attacking a straw man seeing as the two are incomparable...

That is actually not what my point is. My point is that the end result or how it is used is what matters not how it could theoretically be used. More people die by drunk drivers than are murdered by guns in the US each year. Three times as many people are injured by drunk drivers than are injured by firearms each year in the US, keep in mind the US has more guns than cars. Using that context why do you need an alcoholic beverage that contains more than 5% alcohol? Why do you need to have more than one alcoholic drink per hour? Why do you need to get drunk? Why do you need alcohol? Claiming that 10-12,000 deaths and 300,000 injuries is acceptable because it is not designed to blow someone in half doesn't really sound like an acceptable answer now does it? Same with cars why do you need a car that goes more than 60mph?

The .50BMG is, as i said before, used as an anti-material weapon and unless that annoying old wall in your garden needs to be shot to bits what need does anyone have for it? I was morereffering to the larger cartridges though such as the 20mm and upwards which seem to have gained a following lately, let me remind you that that cartirdge is designed solely for taking out planes, armoured trucks and missiles...

Clearly it has found use as long range target shooting. Also considering not a single person to my knowledge has been killed in the US by a .50BMG or a 20mm it seems to me that banning such calibers would not save a single life in the US. So can you show me how many lives in the US would be saved if they were banned? In other words what is the real benefit, not theoretically benefit, of banning those calibers.

Maybe but if theyre that bad a shot would you trust them with a firearm anyway?

If they follow gun safety rules sure. Being a bad shot doesn't mean you are a unsafe with a gun, as long as you follow trigger and muzzle safety you being a bad shot will not increase your chances of harming someone.

Thisisnt necesserally my own thoughts, especially the large magazine objections its awell cited concern by many Americans allowing people to walk around with drum magazines for machine pistols and the like, theres really no need for them and to be quite honest being to lazy to reload doesnt quite fly does it?

How many of those people actually know anything about firearms? How many of those people know that larger magazines especially drum magazines have a much higher chance of causing the gun to jam compared to a smaller magazine capacity. Considering you can change out magazines in less than a second or just immediately switch a different gun how would banning large magazines save people's lives? Why would limiting the magazine size to lets say 10 rounds make you feel safer than if the person had a 100 round magazine? Again we are back to this whole need thing, the only things human needs are fire, shelter, food and water, everything else is a want. Why does it have to be a need? Why does anything have to be a need?

That is true, the problem with hollow points is theyre very unforgiving, make a small 1cm entry wound and blow a hole the size of a dinner plate when exiting...

Ah if your talking about a .50bmg maybe but that is clearly an exaggeration. A 12 gauge shotgun is more unforgiving than a hallow point round. In fact any shotgun is more unforgiving than a hallow point.

Someone robs your house im all for disabling them but those bullets are designed to cause maximum catastrophic damage i.e. to kill and can be and are abused, Even the Germans complained about in the war...

So are shotguns, they are designed to cause maximum catastrophic damage. In fact they cause more damage than hallow point. Who is abusing them? Germans also complained about shotguns during world war 1, so what is your point? If you had an option between a hallow point or a full metal jacket round in terms of defending your house you would be an idiot, in fact irresponsible, not to choose the hallow point. Hallow points are safer rounds in terms of protecting against collateral damage. The New York city police department found that by switching over to hallow points they reduced civilian/bystander casualties and friendly fire casualties by as much as 40% by using hallow points. As to the victim, assuming it is the criminal/thug getting hit, the answer is that they shouldn't have been doing what they were doing if they didn't want to get shot in the first place.
(edited 11 years ago)

In the US owning a fully automatic is legal, except for in the state of California. What is banned though is the further production of fully automatics in the US for civilian ownership.

To be fair the reason why the army doesn't use them is because they are unreliable. Not really, larger magazines are pretty useful if taking on more than one opponent or if you want to lay down suppressive fire or covering fire.

In the US the law are that the round can't penetrate a Type IIIA vest. The ammo they sell in the US is capable of penetrating Type II vests. You are right about the five sevens being a lot of fun to shoot, the ammo at about 50 cents a piece though just kills my wallet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending