The Student Room Group

Lower grades than intended...

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this:
I achieved much lower A level grades than expected and pretty far from the grades my uni choices would require. I got Philosophy&Ethics A, English language B and History C. My would be first choice requires AAB-ABB at the Cornwall Exeter campus for English. Thing is my A level years were pretty awful starting with the death of a loved one from Cancer, my parents losing their home-so having to move in the middle of my A levels then returning to finish them a year later- and then having to work nights to help out with money as well as helping to care for my grandmother who suffered from alcoholism. I know some people may say tough, but I'm wondering are universities likely to excuse my performance? I wasn't like this at gcse and I know that at uni away from the somewhat toxic home environment I'm in at the moment I could achieve much better, but will this make any difference.
If Yes is this something I would mention on my personal statement or some other area of UCAS.
p.s. thanks to anyone who bothered to read that:smile:
Reply 1
I wouldn't advise you to write anything on your personal statement about the difficulties you've been through, as it may make them think you want them to feel sorry for you. Ask your teachers if you do want them to say anything about that on a reference thoughh.
But you should definitely apply for uni's with AAB, as long as you're predicted that or above. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending