The Student Room Group

Frankie Boyle. Just a laugh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
He used to be really funny but now all he relies on "shock humour" too much and it generally isn't that funny. That's not to say he doesn't make me laugh sometimes, just that there are much better comedians.
Reply 41
Sometimes they're funny but he can be unnecessarily crude sometimes (as in, the amount of crudeness he's using doesn't add to the overall joke that he's doing) which I find actually makes it less funny
Reply 42
Frankie Boyle is a legend. He is funny in my book.
Original post by LouisaLouis
I hope to write a discursive essay for my english folio on Frankie Boyle and was wondering what peoples opinions of his jokes were, whether they were funny or just offensive?

Ive only ever seen him on tv, but apparently when he does off camera stand up hes way more extreme!
Reply 44
All of his jokes are horrificly offensive butits all in thenameof piss poor toilette humour. Whats life if we cant make fun of the goings on in it aye?
Original post by Negaduck
He used to be really funny but now all he relies on "shock humour" too much and it generally isn't that funny. That's not to say he doesn't make me laugh sometimes, just that there are much better comedians.

He's never been funny, he's a prick.

He's a one trick pony and lacks any real wit. I used to think he was funny but that's because it was the first time I'd seen him and didn't expect the stuff he said. Once you've seen his jokes one time, the joke's over and you've seen them all.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
freedom of speech, dont like his style dont watch him

He's really making good use of his rights by verbally abusing athletes due to their looks. One of the most boring comedians around in my opinion. How many Madeline McCann jokes does he actually have?
both ldo
He is literally one of the least funny comedians this country has to offer. His style of comedy is nothing more than *Make offensive observation, wait for laughs*
I think he is hilarious and quite intelligent too; I've just finished reading his latest book which was really entertaining. I can understand if people don't get his sense of humour but there's no need to throw a hissy fit because you get offended. Just take his sense of humour for what it is - pure nihilism.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
He is literally one of the least funny comedians this country has to offer. His style of comedy is nothing more than *Make offensive observation, wait for laughs*

Got to disagree with you there, his comedy is a lot more than making offensive observations and waiting for the laughter.
I don't find him particularly funny, and I don't think some of his stuff is okay to say. I would never go as far as banning it - that's absurd - but I certainly don't buy this idea of 'if you don't like his jokes, don't watch it', especially in reference to when he makes jokes about, for example, disabled people.

I think the idea of this is that his jokes are just a bit of harmless fun - but they're not. When he makes jokes about people with downs syndrome, it creates or reinforces a certain negative impression of people with downs syndrome which ultimately will have a small, but significant, impact on people who have/have people close to them with it. It stigmatises and isolates people who are disabled when we should be trying to do the exact opposite.
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Got to disagree with you there, his comedy is a lot more than making offensive observations and waiting for the laughter.

Fair enough, humour is of course subjective and I respect the fact that you feel differently. But what on earth is funny about him? :lolwut: Literally, his entire formula can be summed up as:

take public figure or otherwise seemingly innocent person/thing eg. children, princess Dianna, the mentally ill >>

take tragic or otherwise unsavoury topic e.g. aids, cancer, pedophilia
>>

mash the two together in the pathetic hope that someone will find it hilarious and pure genius.

"Paying for £1 Ryanair loos is like a child with downs-syndrome being anal-fisted by the animated corpse of Kerry Katona" :rolleyes:

He's a washed up hack.
(edited 11 years ago)
Fair enough, humour is of course subjective and I respect the fact that you feel differently. But what on earth is funny about him? :lolwut: Literally, his entire formula can be summed up as:

take public figure or otherwise seemingly innocent person/thing (eg. children, princess Dianna, the mentally ill >>

take tragic or otherwise unsavoury topic e.g. aids, cancer, pedophilia
>>

mash the two together in the pathetic hope that someone will find it hilarious and pure genius.

Essentially, I think a lot of his material is aimed at showing how vacuous the celebrity culture that saturates the media actually is but in a very shock-and-awe manner. I mean TV generally is very mundane, obvious predictable and as a result just becomes so mind-numbing. It is good therefore to have someone who pushes the boundaries of what is and isn't acceptable.

Also, I tend to find that people only find his material offensive because he strays from the kind of generally acceptable list of people you can take the piss out of.
He used to be hilarious back in the day I thought, but he's just spiralled down considerably lately. I don't mind offensive jokes, and I have a rather dark sense of humour sometimes, but there's insulting for a joke and just bullying. There's a clear difference, and he's passed that line many a time
Essentially, I think a lot of his material is aimed at showing how vacuous the celebrity culture that saturates the media actually is but in a very shock-and-awe manner. I mean TV generally is very mundane, obvious predictable and as a result just becomes so mind-numbing. It is good therefore to have someone who pushes the boundaries of what is and isn't acceptable.

If you want to talk about using comedic satire to make a statement about the state of our media, you need to be looking at Chris Morris. That's how it's done correctly. Boyle on the other hand is nauseatingly repetitive. He's not making any sort of 'clever satire about media', he's just repeatedly using crude humour and names like Kerry Katona to score cheap shock laughter. Brass Eye with a piece of comedic genius, using shock and black humour to make an incredibly bold statement about the nature of our media. Boyle however, is a washed up former panel-show comedian who relies on the same old tired "shock" one-liners to get a mere chuckle.

Also, I tend to find that people only find his material offensive because he strays from the kind of generally acceptable list of people you can take the piss out of.

And there are comedians out there who do a much, much better job of it. Even Jimmy Carr does it far, far better.
You should probably write an essay about pathetic academic standards in English classes.
If you want to talk about using comedic satire to make a statement about the state of our media, you need to be looking at Chris Morris. That's how it's done correctly. Boyle on the other hand is nauseatingly repetitive. He's not making any sort of 'clever satire about media', he's just repeatedly using crude humour and names like Kerry Katona to score cheap shock laughter. Brass Eye with a piece of comedic genius, using shock and black humour to make an incredibly bold statement about the nature of our media. Boyle however, is a washed up former panel-show comedian who relies on the same old tired "shock" one-liners to get a mere chuckle.

And there are comedians out there who do a much, much better job of it. Even Jimmy Carr does it far, far better.

I do like Chris Morris too and as you said before it is just a matter of opinion. I prefer Frankie over Morris but then I prefer Hicks, Carlin and Stanhope over Frankie.

I can understand that people don't find him funny but less understanding of people who get offended by him.
(edited 11 years ago)
I do like Chris Morris too and as you said before it is just a matter of opinion. I prefer Frankie over Morris but then I prefer Hicks, Carlin and Stanhope over Frankie.

I can understand that people don't find him funny but less understanding of people who get offended by him.

I'm not 'offended' by him in the slightest. My contention is that his use of 'offensive humour' is banal and unfunny. It's insultingly childish and reeks of lazy comedy. There are ways of using black-humour in order to make a satirical statement and in my view he's doing it all wrong.

Of course, I understand that you feel differently and are entitled to. I'm not trying to tell you what comedians are and aren't acceptable as others are. Just that he's well...pretty naff in all fairness.
I'm not 'offended' by him in the slightest. My contention is that his use of 'offensive humour' is banal and unfunny. It's insultingly childish and reeks of lazy comedy. There are ways of using black-humour in order to make a satirical statement and in my view he's doing it all wrong.

Of course, I understand that you feel differently and are entitled to. I'm not trying to tell you what comedians are and aren't acceptable as others are. Just that he's well...pretty naff in all fairness.

As you've made quite clear that is your opinion and for me Boyle is a decent comedian despite being a bit repetitive. My opinion of him is partly based on his latest book which covers a lot of issues he often leaves out of his comedy and there is a lot more sharp, well observed topical humour in there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending