The Student Room Group

The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
:hello:

(As of today being officially allowed to join this group.
... Though so far my main achievement seems to be having used my university card to take a short-cut through Kings despite the "college closed" sign :colone: )
Original post by sj27

... Though so far my main achievement seems to be having used my university card to take a short-cut through Kings despite the "college closed" sign :colone: )

:party:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1182
Original post by sj27

Pretty much the only thing I used my card for :ahee:

Even though I finished, the expiry date in my card is 2015 for some reason. College havent asked for it back either :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1183
Original post by Akkuz

Even though I finished, the expiry date in my card is 2015 for some reason. College havent asked for it back either :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my expiry date is something like 18 months after the degree finishes. I was wondering if that just meant they didn't have much faith in me :ninja:
Original post by Akkuz

Posted from TSR Mobile

:zomg:

The Porters took ours off us before they'd let us have our Senate House tickets!
Reply 1185
Original post by sj27
Yeah my expiry date is something like 18 months after the degree finishes. I was wondering if that just meant they didn't have much faith in me :ninja:

Enjoy the first term. It's the best :biggrin:

Original post by Tortious

The Porters took ours off us before they'd let us have our Senate House tickets!

Really? So, that means they'll take mine aswell :frown: What if you happen to..forget your card at home, that day? :colondollar:
Original post by Akkuz
Really? So, that means they'll take mine aswell :frown: What if you happen to..forget your card at home, that day? :colondollar:

They won't give you the Senate House tickets, so your guests won't get to see you graduate. :nope: I'm not sure if there are additional sanctions.
Original post by Tortious

No such thing happened at Emmanuel :nah: We were supposed to give our cards back when we checked out on the last day but the porter said I could keep mine as a memento if I wanted, so I did. :tongue:
Yeh nobody took my cards. I had several because I kept losing them and finding them again after buying replacements :facepalm2:
So I was able to continue using them for a year or so after graduating for things like UNI4 tickets :flute:
Reply 1189
No mention at all at Catz. Still happily using them for student discounts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
An applicant just mass-emailed everyone in my department, the faculty office, the reception desk, and every college admissions office inquiring about his application. Yet it looks like he missed the central admissions office, despite the fact that he made an open application. The mind boggles.
Sorry to spam :o: Does anybody want 25G of cloud server space? https://copy.com?r=lk7MDN You get 5G extra if you follow that referral link. I'm quite chuffed, as I've managed to save my entire photo collection on there. I'm keeping Google Drive for documents/every day stuff that doesn't take so much space.
Original post by Zhen Lin
An applicant just mass-emailed everyone in my department, the faculty office, the reception desk, and every college admissions office inquiring about his application. Yet it looks like he missed the central admissions office, despite the fact that he made an open application. The mind boggles.

:lol:
Usually I reassure people that blonde mistakes in applications aren't the end of the world because only the admin staff will really notice. But that is not going to be forgotten quickly...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
Sorry to spam :o: Does anybody want 25G of cloud server space? https://copy.com?r=lk7MDN You get 5G extra if you follow that referral link. I'm quite chuffed, as I've managed to save my entire photo collection on there. I'm keeping Google Drive for documents/every day stuff that doesn't take so much space.

Not sure when I'm ever going to use this as I have Dropbox, Google Drive, MediaFire and others already but signed up via your referral link anyway. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
Not sure when I'm ever going to use this as I have Dropbox, Google Drive, MediaFire and others already but signed up via your referral link anyway. :smile:

Ooh, thankyou :girl:

How much space do those give you, though? This is the first one I found that offered as much as Google Drive (more, actually). And the 15GB you get with Google is undermined by the fact that you share that space across mail, photos and drive. Which means that there is really only 5GB space for my drive on there, as my email takes up 10GB. Drop Box was 2GB when I signed up years ago. Sky Drive is 7GB and iCloud is 5GB...
Reply 1194
Original post by Zhen Lin

How? I thought mailing lists were restricted...

or did he literally get everyone's emails and paste them in?
I'm going to be a supervisor in October :eek:
Reply 1196

:lol:
Usually I reassure people that blonde mistakes in applications aren't the end of the world because only the admin staff will really notice. But that is not going to be forgotten quickly...

I know of one person who claims to have misspelled the name of St Catz on the application form (presumably the SAQ? This would have been 2008ish.) and still got in. But my word, that's either a massive mess-up or the sign of someone you really do not want in your department.

(Also, someone needs to change their mailing list settings...)
Ooh, thankyou :girl:

How much space do those give you, though? This is the first one I found that offered as much as Google Drive (more, actually). And the 15GB you get with Google is undermined by the fact that you share that space across mail, photos and drive. Which means that there is really only 5GB space for my drive on there, as my email takes up 10GB. Drop Box was 2GB when I signed up years ago. Sky Drive is 7GB and iCloud is 5GB...

You're welcome. :h:

Not sure as I've never come close to hitting any of the limits. Just had a quick check and Dropbox is 2.25GB, MediaFire is 50GB, Google Drive is 15GB (as you say, shared with the other Google services) then I have a few FTP servers which vary.

I'm going to be a supervisor in October :eek:

Congratulations! Sounds fun. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
You're welcome. :h:

Not sure as I've never come close to hitting any of the limits. Just had a quick check and Dropbox is 2.25GB, MediaFire is 50GB, Google Drive is 15GB (as you say, shared with the other Google services) then I have a few FTP servers which vary.
Fair enough, I suppose it depends what one is using it for. If I was only interested in accessing my documents everywhere then Drop Box or Google Drive would be fine. But at the moment I'm trying to back up all my music and photos, and I'm also going to be getting a Mac Air that won't have that much hard drive space. I'm thinking this might be more convenient than an external hard drive, but we'll see.
And I didn't know about MediaFire! That's loads! If they give you extra space for referrals can you pass me the link?

Congratulations! Sounds fun. :smile:

Cheers :biggrin: And yes, that's why I signed up :teeth:
Those poor students :hubba:
Fair enough, I suppose it depends what one is using it for. If I was only interested in accessing my documents everywhere then Drop Box or Google Drive would be fine. But at the moment I'm trying to back up all my music and photos, and I'm also going to be getting a Mac Air that won't have that much hard drive space. I'm thinking this might be more convenient than an external hard drive, but we'll see.
And I didn't know about MediaFire! That's loads! If they give you extra space for referrals can you pass me the link?

Sure, MediaFire referral link: http://mfi.re/?ba7jqfu
Though looking again at the features it might not be very useful for backups of the type you describe: https://www.mediafire.com/upgrade/
There's a 200MB individual file size limitation and some kind of inactivity timeout (not sure if this is on individual files or just the whole account though, will need to check if you want to use for backup).

Cheers :biggrin: And yes, that's why I signed up :teeth:
Those poor students :hubba:

:teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending