The Student Room Group

Gabon replaces French with English

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by navarre
Oh, absolutely. There are many languages besides English which are very useful. It's just that, French isn't one of 'em.

In Belgium French is useful though. It's the lingua franca of Brussels, the nation's capital. If they wanna work in their own capital city, French's a prerequisite. You clearly don't know much about the whole subject...
Original post by Arekkusu
I don't think Gabon is worth talking about if you are a British person living in Europe. This is the way it goes:

If you're interested in science and technology you should learn German.
If you're interested in the emerging Latin economies you should learn Spanish (though arguably this has got more pointless lately, Spanish is wildly, wildly overrated)
If you're interested in EU politics or international institutions French is still indispensable. This is because France made up the EU.
If you're interested in making money next century you should be getting ahead of the pack and learning a bit of Mandarin.

What Navarre said above is pretty much true.

Also a change of language policy is pissing into the wind, presumably everyone currently still speaks French (the elites) or indigenous languages (the plebs).

To be honest, you don't need to learn any of those languages. Over half of all scientific journals in the world are published in English, a lot of Latin America can speak English as a second language, millions of Chinese school kids are also learning English, and English takes precedence at the UN and international conventions. Only the EU takes French seriously, and I can see that changing in the future when France's relative influence shrinks.
Reply 42
Why do you want us all to speak English? What will happen, if we were all monolingual? Do you expect the world to be better? Do you really think that mankind will end all conflict and wars with speaking English? Are you so naive? And do you really think that Gabon will replace French with English only because of a President's command whose corruption is proved by French tribunals? In Gabon more than 75 % of the population use French to communicate with one another?
And besides, why should we all command the English language if it is lesser spoken in the USA where Spanish begins to become more important. In some regions English is no longer spoken.
Spoken by 220 millions, French is not useless as it generated a sizeable number of English words.
Reply 43
Original post by kecke
Why do you want us all to speak English? What will happen, if we were all monolingual? Do you expect the world to be better? Do you really think that mankind will end all conflict and wars with speaking English? Are you so naive? And do you really think that Gabon will replace French with English only because of a President's command whose corruption is proved by French tribunals? In Gabon more than 75 % of the population use French to communicate with one another?
And besides, why should we all command the English language if it is lesser spoken in the USA where Spanish begins to become more important. In some regions English is no longer spoken.
Spoken by 220 millions, French is not useless as it generated a sizeable number of English words.

No one is claiming that the world is becoming monolingual, but it's certainly becoming tougher for languages like French. How many people will speak French in a 100 years do you think? Hardly any. In 100 years, the world will be dominated by English, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese and Arabic.

220 million of people do not speak French. Most of those people barely know the language.
Reply 44
Original post by navarre
No one is claiming that the world is becoming monolingual, but it's certainly becoming tougher for languages like French. How many people will speak French in a 100 years do you think? Hardly any. In 100 years, the world will be dominated by English, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese and Arabic.

220 million of people do not speak French. Most of those people barely know the language.

Laval University calculated that by 2025, 500 million people will be speakers of French (compared to 220 million now). You make it sound like French is a minority language, like Irish.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
If we had more say in the curriculum ( a more free market system ) the education curriculum would adapt to demand for change much faster and effectively government intervention is the problem here.
The less languages the better. It's a tool of communication, please keep it that way. No-one cares about niche languages.
Original post by navarre
German is the second language of Europe. It has around 100 million speakers in the continent (far greater than French's 70 million), and Germany is Europe's economic powerhouse. French could be called the third language of Europe, but that's still no reason to teach it.

:pierre:

Original post by sabian92
Yet, German is given a back seat to French.

Original post by navarre
Is it? Both are working languages of the EU. It may be that the main EU functions are located in French speaking cities like Brussels. Or it may be because the Germans know their language is absolutely fine, but the French know that their language is on a rapid decline and are desperately trying to protect it.

Well, it is. The Germans lost a huge amount of their linguistic power post-war, especially in politics and science, whereas the french remained firmly stubborn about keeping their language up there and ensured that it remain a working language in everything - look at how pissed they were when English was decided as the international aviation language.

French is a UN official language, German is not :frown:
Reply 48
Original post by Gales
Laval University calculated that by 2025, 500 million people will be speakers of French (compared to 220 million now). You make it sound like French is a minority language, like Irish.

French is a minority language in the linguistic sphere. Even if we did take into account the people who only know how to say 'bonjour' and arrived at the vastly inflated number of 220 million speakers, it's hardly spoken outside France and a minority of African countries.
Reply 49
Original post by navarre
French is a minority language in the linguistic sphere. Even if we did take into account the people who only know how to say 'bonjour' and arrived at the vastly inflated number of 220 million speakers, it's hardly spoken outside France and a minority of African countries.

220 million was fluent speakers, not conversational. French is one of only two languages (other being English) spoken on five continents. 5 countries in Europe have French (more than English) as an official language.
People refuse to learn "easier" and highly familiar languages like French and Spanish as it is - trying to convince them to learn Arabic and Mandarin (which despite everyone going on about how they are the "next economic powerhouses" etc. - the vast, vast majority of the population will have no need to ever contact people in those countries) is just absurd and is never gonna happen. I can completely see them becoming more popular, but it's never going to be mainstream.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Gales
220 million was fluent speakers, not conversational. French is one of only two languages (other being English) spoken on five continents. 5 countries in Europe have French (more than English) as an official language.

I seriously doubt there are over 200 million people who can speak French fluently. English is actually spoken on six continents (Oceania) and the number of French speakers in Asia and South America is miniscule. French is also severely endangered in North America, where only Quebec stands as French's last outpost (and in Montreal, English is growing very fast as the language to speak).

'Official language' means very little- in many parts of Switzerland or Belgium you'll struggle to find someone who speaks any French. English isn't even the official language of the UK, and yet you wouldn't get very far without speaking it in the UK. I think only Ireland and Malta have English as an official language in Europe, but the number of English speakers far exceeds the number of French speakers.
Reply 52
Original post by navarre
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2214994/Gabon-set-ditch-French-English-nations-second-language-bid-improve-opportunities-people.html#ixzz28tNPGtbL

Rwanda yesterday, Gabon today, maybe tomorrow it'll be Congo, Tunisia or perhaps even Belgium? Anyways, the growing uselessness of the French language does raise questions as to why it's so widely taught in our schools as opposed to Spanish, Arabic or Mandarin. Our language education needs a serious shake up.

Most of us will never be doing international business, and if we are, it'll be in English. For native English speakers, a lot of it boils down to whom you want to communicate with. Language opens up doors to culture, but that's the thing. I can't speak for speakers from the UK/Canada/Australia/NZ, but for a lot of Americans, France is a dream destination, at least moreso than the Middle East. China can be interesting, but their public bathrooms are disgusting. I suppose that's a conversation for another time, though. :tongue:

Anyhow, there won't be a change in which languages are widely taught unless the parents ask for Arabic, Mandarin, and the like. French is seen as a very beautiful and prestigious language. That being said, Mandarin is increasingly taught in the US, and Spanish has always been a big second language.
Reply 53
Original post by Veneta
Most of us will never be doing international business, and if we are, it'll be in English. For native English speakers, a lot of it boils down to whom you want to communicate with. Language opens up doors to culture, but that's the thing. I can't speak for speakers from the UK/Canada/Australia/NZ, but for a lot of Americans, France is a dream destination, at least moreso than the Middle East. China can be interesting, but their public bathrooms are disgusting. I suppose that's a conversation for another time, though. :tongue:

Anyhow, there won't be a change in which languages are widely taught unless the parents ask for Arabic, Mandarin, and the like. French is seen as a very beautiful and prestigious language. That being said, Mandarin is increasingly taught in the US, and Spanish has always been a big second language.

So you'd rather visit France because of a preconception over Chinese toilets? Riiiighhhtt.... France isn't my dream destination (being dragged there for the annual summer holiday for ten years made it seem very boring).

French was seen as prestigious in the past (can't really comment on beauty as it's incredibly subjective- I think Italian sounds much more beautiful), but these days, it's really a niche language appealing mainly to a niche group of middle aged English francophiles who think that learning French will do nicely on their annual trips to Provence.

Spanish is the most taught language in the US, and rightly so. I just wish our education system would endow British students with good knowledge of a language that will be of value to their future, rather than teaching them how to order lunch on a French motorway, which is the most use you can get out of French these days.
Reply 54
Haha, I actually have visited China. The sights were nice, the public facilities were nasty for the most part, and the people were decent depending on where you were. The Shanghai citizens weren't my favorite, but who am I to judge, I suppose. New Yorkers can be very rude also. But, my tangent aside, I wasn't telling you that your dream destination was France. I don't recall you being American either (but I don't know much about you, so maybe you're American and I'm getting very confused here), which was what my statement was about.

What I am/was trying to say was not to dispute your point that Spanish is an important language (which you may wonder why I posted in this thread at all—languages and other cultures interest me), but that your educational system most likely won't get an overhaul any time soon. Yes, Spanish may be spoken more widely, but if people don't want to take Spanish, they won't. That may seem like common sense, but I said/am saying that because there is no stringent need to take Spanish, currently. There won't be until one of the Spanish-speaking countries have a stronger economy and a stronger cultural influence on the world.

Another note that may or may not be related: Spanish isn't the end-all-be-all in all the US! Where I live, French actually is more useful than Spanish. Location, location, you see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending