The Student Room Group

Why do philosophers have to justify everything?

Seems a bit futile to me when there always has to be a logical reason for doing something.
Reply 1
Because most of the time there is a logical reason to do something, how boring is it to sit there and carry out your life without thinking about who put us here, or job, what do we do etc, i've done it just havent had time to philosophise about it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Elm Tree
Seems a bit futile to me when there always has to be a logical reason for doing something.

So do I have to justify our need of having to justify everything?
Because justification is important. Before you perform an action, you justify it, right?

I'm going to eat something. Why? Because I'm hungry. Justification.

Philosophy generally looks at more important issues than a rumbling tummy though.
Philosophy doesn't presuppose that everyone has to have logical reasons for doing things--that's economics :biggrin:

Joking aside, philosophy is like any other discipline: why must scientists go about discovering things or mathematicians proving things? Because it's interesting, and occasionally useful
Reply 5

*******s. Many people do things for no reason at all.
Reply 6
Original post by luten toon
*******s. Many people do things for no reason at all.
No they don't. Even if you are responding to a random urge you are making the logical choice to try and satisfy that urge so you don't have to deal with it any longer.

Doesn't mean the urge itself was logical of course
Reply 7
Original post by Redolent
No they don't. Even if you are responding to a random urge you are making the logical choice to try and satisfy that urge so you don't have to deal with it any longer.

Not true.

We act on whim, impulse, and logic. Most human actions are based on whim and impulse.
Reply 8
Not true.

We act on whim, impulse, and logic. Most human actions are based on whim and impulse.
And it is often logical to satisfy whim and impulse, because unsatisfied whims are unpleasant.
Reply 9
Original post by Redolent
And it is often logical to satisfy whim and impulse, because unsatisfied whims are unpleasant.

I disagree. Since whim means acting on impulse without conscious thinking.

Humans are not consistently conscious.
I disagree. Since whim means acting on impulse without conscious thinking.

Humans are not consistently conscious.

Some of us put more thought into things than others, perhaps.
Reply 11
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Some of us put more thought into things than others, perhaps.

Perhaps. And?
Reply 12
Original post by Drunk Punx
Because justification is important. Before you perform an action, you justify it, right?

I'm going to eat something. Why? Because I'm hungry. Justification.

Philosophy generally looks at more important issues than a rumbling tummy though.

lol... Not really. Not at all, in fact.

I would say that we most often do things "just because" or "for the hell of it". It's how we are geared, and is our nature.

Not everything we do has a strict reason.

what's wrong with that? what's the alternative, doing pointless ****?
lol... Not really. Not at all, in fact.

I would say that we most often do things "just because" or "for the hell of it". It's how we are geared, and is our nature.

Not everything we do has a strict reason.

I disagree. "For the hell of it" is still a reason for doing something, albeit a not very concrete one.

"Just because" is a vague scapegoat for when you don't want to tell people the real reason, or you simply haven't figured it out yet.
That's the thing.. our view and opinion of the world around us is shaped wholly by our own experiences. We can prove nothing in philosophy but we can hope that enough people would see our point of view and as a result it becomes more accepted.
Reply 16
Original post by Drunk Punx
I disagree. "For the hell of it" is still a reason for doing something, albeit a not very concrete one.

"Just because" is a vague scapegoat for when you don't want to tell people the real reason, or you simply haven't figured it out yet.

"Just because" is exactly as stated.

Why do you presume that humans are so logical?
"Just because" is exactly as stated.

Why do you presume that humans are so logical?

I don't, I merely hope that they are.

The reality is that many of them seem to cling to emotional states of irrationality as opposed to logic and reason. Unfortunately, said emotional states of irrationality are inherent in human nature, and prove difficult to break.
Because doing something just for the sake of it isn't a good enough answer, philosophers never take anything for granted. I'm doing Philosophy as part of my RS level and whilst it can seem tiresome to always justify something, it's actually really good for your analysis skills and it helps you become more open minded when you approach an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending